Extreme Underclocking

RB9269

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Enthusiasts have been overclocking their computers for years, going to extraordinary lengths to push their systems past their intended speeds. For these daring souls, the ultimate goal is to have a computer boot and log into a forum as fast as possible, then post the results and breathlessly await the internet's approval. Either that, or to play video games online with the FPS display toggled and constantly ask for everyone else's framerate while they stand still and die.

As the speed increase from overclocking has become increasingly minimal, the culture has changed. Now underclocking is in vogue, and a new breed of system tweakers who call themselves "Extreme Underclockers" are doing all they can to make their top of the line computers perform as horribly as possible.

Sounds kind of lame, right? Wrong. The line between "wow, that's slow" and "wow, I guess it's not even on" is a razor's edge, little man. Those who walk it fear nothing, for their shoes have special razor-proof soles.

An underclocker is considered the best of the best when notepad.exe takes more than an hour to load and his computer is capable of running without a power source.

LMAO!

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
That's some funny $h!t.

I have tried underclocking myself and managed my 840 from 3.2Ghz stock to 2.650Ghz and worked no problem and still kicks ass on windows. Gaming and test and benchmarking on the other hand causes it to freeze. I was just trying to run the cpu and the lowest voltage possible and got the vcore down from 1.3v to 1.10vcore. The temps went down as well from 28c idle to 27c idle. SuperPi went down from (1M) 35 seconds to over a minute.

qw3r7yju4n

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
ROFL! omg so phunny!
An underclocker is considered the best of the best when notepad.exe takes more than an hour to load and his computer is capable of running without a power source.
lol still laughing

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Now this is just silly. They could have just asked me and I would give them a 486 or something I've got lying around. They should rather give their "top of the line" stuff to me...that's it, I'll trade them, sell the new stuff and make millions :twisted: bwahahaha

randomizer

Champion
I respect those who underclock so that they can have silent systems. But those who buy expensive top of the line parts so they can run them slow are abusing technology in the wrong way. Sure if they bought a $30 Sempron I wouldnt care, but top of the line stuff?
Also, I guess there is no such thing as an underclocker being the "best of the best" since as far as I know, no pc can run without a power source :lol:

EDIT: Where did you dig this up?

yourname3232

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
This is very funny, where did you find it?

Side note: The only case where underclocking that I think would be useful if for a silent PC or a HTPC.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
This is very funny, where did you find it?

Side note: The only case where underclocking that I think would be useful if for a silent PC or a HTPC.

HTPC = Silent pc anyway (or it's supposed to be) but I feel what you saying. :wink:

muffin

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
That article takes the practice over the top. I've been thinking of building a truly silent pc for digital audio recording on a massive scale. I'm looking into being completely fanless at between 1 to 1.5 GHz, with on board graphics and a fanless power supply - the only add-in would be a good quality soundcard.
http://www.logicsupply.com/index.php/cPath/49 is a link to some interesting fanless mini itx systems. AMD's Geode line is based on the Athlon K7 but runs at 1.0 V and .9 to 14 W depending on speed...power ramps up quick with clockspeed...eg at 600MHz it uses under 1W, but at 1.4 GHz it uses 14 W...much of which is heat. Makes sense to use what you need to do your task...for surfing the net 1 GHz in a box 2.5" x 7" x 8" could very well be just fine. I've actually thought of putting one of these mini itx systems inside my monster rack mount opteron box, just for recording without the fan noise in the background or for watching a movie. Good candidates for solar powered extreme environment use too.

qw3r7yju4n

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
I think my Ti-86 (Texas Instruments calculator) can out process a Pentium @ 15.4mhz.

HAHA MY TI-89 GOTS YOU BEAT LOL!!!

ridiculous... and i have built underclocked systems not with no fans, single HSF very low, athlonXP mainly, for HTPC's