Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-7VRXP problem

Last response: in Motherboards
November 8, 2006 3:16:29 PM

A friend has this board (4 years old) and this happened. Note the 2 black cylinder shaped components near the CPU.

Question: Can these be replaced? Or is the board finished?

Original:

Problem:

More about : gigabyte 7vrxp problem

November 8, 2006 4:25:46 PM

Your link is broken.
November 8, 2006 5:01:05 PM

They both work for me...

Quote:
Your link is broken.
Related resources
November 8, 2006 8:58:35 PM

They didn't before.

You should contact Gigabyte regarding this. This was a major issue awhile back and many board manufacturers were repairing boards free of charge. It may be too late now but it's worth a try.

Other than than that, you have several options. You can take it to a shop and see if they'll repair it. I would go ahead and have them all replaced because others will follow.

Another option is to get the capacitors yourself and attempt to solder them yourself. You can get replacement capacitors from Digikey. Should cost about $15.00 and you better have good soldering skills. I would invest in a de-soldering kit from Radio Shack as well.

Other than that, just buy a new board as it's also possible that the two that went took something else with it on the board, possibly even the CPU.
November 9, 2006 2:05:34 PM

Thanks - I already ordered a replacement board (Biostar) from Newegg for $60. It's not worth the trouble to replace the capacitors (or whatever they are). But it's nice to know this wasn't an isolated incident. Hopefully the CPU is still good.

Quote:
They didn't before.

You should contact Gigabyte regarding this. This was a major issue awhile back and many board manufacturers were repairing boards free of charge. It may be too late now but it's worth a try.

Other than than that, you have several options. You can take it to a shop and see if they'll repair it. I would go ahead and have them all replaced because others will follow.

Another option is to get the capacitors yourself and attempt to solder them yourself. You can get replacement capacitors from Digikey. Should cost about $15.00 and you better have good soldering skills. I would invest in a de-soldering kit from Radio Shack as well.

Other than that, just buy a new board as it's also possible that the two that went took something else with it on the board, possibly even the CPU.
November 9, 2006 2:56:16 PM

Sorry I couldn't be much more help. Good luck with the new board.
November 9, 2006 3:30:16 PM

No prob - you helped more than anyone else did (including Crashman -how come he didn't chime in????) ;-)

Quote:
Sorry I couldn't be much more help. Good luck with the new board.
November 9, 2006 4:15:28 PM

I think the Crashman has lost some faith in the forums, much like wusy has. It's too bad because there is nobody here near their level anymore. At least from what I can tell.

Take a look at the Overclocking forums and you'll see what I'm talking about.
!