P5W DH - Strange board

Is Asus slipping

• Yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
Ok while the board itself works well....it has some real issues

1 - Restarting while overclocked will cause the board to shut off....then back on....they fixed this in the latest beta bios...THIS IS FIXED WITH THE LATEST BETA BIOS

2 - CE1(or what ever it is..) gets locked to auto....at this point...you can not select anything but auto....this makes me restore defaults to even get at it....

3 - EDIT....got that working.....

4 - sometimes it turns back on CE1(or what ever)... i would be fine with this is i did not need that 0.02-0.03 volts extra(i get 1.288 not 1.30ish...and it plays...its a shame i can get hours of small TFT in orthos...but not large...so up went the voltage...i set 1.35 in the bios to get 1.32+- 2%)

5 - Setting AI quiet causes repeat BSOD's. WHY? it used to work...

6 – If i put the machine into hibernate with my MX700/elite duo on usb....when i wake it up....all hot keys are gone...and if i unplug it to reset the mouse/kb all usb ports go dead...i mean ALL...but whatever is plugged still works....

7 – my PS2 KVM does not work on this board....well it does but the mouse is erratic and gets locked in the corner with the left button stuck down....nothing i can do but unplug and replug...it right clicks on its own.....this KVM is fine on all other computers in the house.....

as you can see most of this is just to quiet the thing down abit(it was working for a few months now...with just the occasional q-fan issue....but a reset fixed it....)......2000 rpms for an Antec 120mm pro dual bb fan is not fun....

Is it just me or is Asus slipping?or is this board just defective? I mean it works....but just when it wants to....and i understand some things...such as AI Quiet may have reset my voltage....but Q-fan is pissing me off.....time to take out my Zalman mfc1 again..

My K8V SE had to have the bios flashed back a few revs just to make it work right(sound issues with via sata running...even with SB live/audigy)

sorry for the long post.....HELP.....

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
First off, disable Q-Fan as it's crap. Invest some money into some Nexus fans or something.

Second, Standy and Hibernation is stupid. The computer at idle shouldn't be too much for your electric bill.

Third, don't use ASUS software to control the motherboard.

Fourth, try a different KVM switch.

Fifth, perhaps you should learn how to program a BIOS to help ASUS out. I mean, they only have like 100 motherboards and videocards that they have to manufacture as well as program.

Sixth, try a different motherboard manufacturer and tell me if they do a better job because I've been using an ASUS motherboard for a few years now and the only issues I have, are drivers. Then again, Vista hasn't "officially" been released to the public (not including businesses).

Does that help?

Why would i invest is lower cfm fans....i want that extra CFM if needed. Antecs @ 5volts are close to nexus(but i do like the nexus fans...dont get me wrong..). since i have a zalman mfc1 sitting on a shelf I can use that...i just like auto control

I have many computers running....as such hibernation saves heat....

I dont use asus software...

I will get a diferent KVM.....but it will have to be a more expensive one...all the cheap ones are the same inside.....it may be a better option to try mine with a different mouse/kb.....maybe my mouse/KB is power hungry

Why would i want to make my own bios.....there are all kinds of modded ones....if i pay for it....well i figure it should work.....thats like buying a CD/DVD burner and not being able to burn a certain brands cd's and someone saying make your own firmware....

I have to say....i do like the fact that asus stays on top of new tech....i am just saying....2 boards(k8V and this)... both with odd issues...to be honest....the most stable board i ever owned so far....has to be my good old K7S5A.....i just can't kill it....but it wont take me where the core2 can....

Does that help?
i can't say it helps....i want to know if any other P5W users have tried these settings.....and had this happen....

@ Eurasianman - don't take that as a flame....its kind of like if someone says...."my car stalls when i take off too fast"...and Ford saying...."Well dont take off fast..."

tehrobzorz

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
if its pissing you off, why dnt u exchange or rma it. tell them about the issues and see waht they suggest.

my m2n32 worked right out of the box =]

With some close monitoring...it seems Q-fan is working.....my front fan got left on silent....causing too little air flowing over the case temp sensor (south bridge) and then Q-fan says damn its hot in here....and ramps the shit out of the other fan....guess this is the price of 4 hard drives in the bottom of the case.....

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Er... I need to fix my sig. I was playing BF2142 last night and at the end of the round, my computer mysteriously rebooted, so I put it back on stock and voltages on auto.

TRENDING THREADS