New CPU or Video Card?

Hello,

I would like to ask some advice, I have an opportunity to purchase either a new video card or a new cpu for my system. I currently have:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor S939 (Venice or Clawhammer?)
Video: BFG 6800GT OC 256MB AGP
Motherboard is PCIExpress and AGP capable
Games played are: Oblivion, NWN2, TotalWar2 and other Strat or RPG type games, I normally don't buy FPS.

My question is for the type of games I play should I invest in a faster CPU or a faster Video? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
fishhead
17 answers Last reply
More about video card
  1. Video card for sure.

It'll be wise to go for a PCI-E mobo, and something like X1950Pro.
  2. Yeah, I'd definitely go for something like an X1950pro. I've seen them on neweeg for around $200.
  3. My thoughts were leaning towards a new video card and in particular the X1950 Pro as well. I don't think any games I am playing will take advantage of a dual cpu. Currently it is actually a tossup between the X1950Pro, X1900GT or wait for the X1650XT.
  4. go for the X1950Pro, it's a good investment :)
  5. Agreed, i like this one the best. Love the Acclero X2 cooler on it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131027
  6. yes, it is nice, but now that i've seen g80 benchmarks everything else seems like a joke :lol:
  7. Yea, so is the price :roll:
  8. I expected to see price gauging, nothing new here. Remember c2d? $599 for e6400?! :lol:
  9. From like TigerDirect.

Plus, when C2D came out, no one had it in stock, so they jacked up price for morons to order (more like pre-order :lol: ). Newegg had some 8800GTXs and GTS in stock earlier when someone gave link.
  10. Quote:
    From like TigerDirect.

Plus, when C2D came out, no one had it in stock, so they jacked up price for morons to order (more like pre-order :lol: ). Newegg had some 8800GTXs and GTS in stock earlier when someone gave link.

tigerdirect has gtx and gts instock(at least they claim to)
    link
  11. Yea, similar prices to newegg.
  12. as of now newegg doesn't have it(on the web i mean)
  13. Did earlier today. Like 4 hours ago.
  14. Yea, someone has already bought it according to one of the newegg reviews. What a idiot.
  15. LOL, yeah
  16. i wish they early release a mid-end card like compare to 7600GT.. that would be fun for the people who is in very tight budget.. :cry:
  17. your cpu is good enough for that kind of games. i just think youll need a better display card. a gforce might do.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Games CPUs Graphics Product