PC TO DVD player audio

hafizur

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
On my pc the audio is set to max, Why does the sound need to be turned up much higher on my dvd player?

Basically, when i play a dvd or audio CD the DVD player only needs to be set to a volume leve around 10.

but when i play audio/movies etc on the pc to the dvd player (dvd player recieves audio via auxillary channel, tv recieves s-video input) I need to turn the volume level upto around 24 to hear it at a normal level.

Why Is this? would this be different if i had an audio card, at the moment i am using the on-board audio ports.

Thanks for any help.

hafizur

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
There is wave and play control.

On the DVD player? does it take the left and right channels and split them to 5.1 in the process making the sound a little quieter?

I'm not sure what you mean.

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
The computer has both a "volume" control - controlling the amplification of all the sounds coming out of the computer - and several "gain" controls - controlling individual sources.

If you look in the volume control application you will see this. Make sure your computer's "gain" sliders are set to the right level.

Note to audiophiles - I am aware that they are not *really* "volume" and "gain" controls - but they're close enough ;)

hafizur

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
The 'volume' on the computer is set to its maximum, however i'm not sure where i can find the gain controls for a 2 channel output off the computer.

(btw the 2 channel output on the pc is converted to 5.1 by the dvd player alone)

Thanks for your help!