Extending my wireless network with a repeater

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 14, 2005 6:12:33 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I have a D-Link DWL-2000AP+ (I am in Italy) and I am trying to extend
the range of my wireless network. From reading the thread topics, it
seems that I could either get another access point and use it as a
repeater, or, buy a more powerful antenna. There seems to be an equal
amount of positive and negative experiences regarding both situations.
I have an old D-Link DWL-2000AP (not plus) and I've tried several times
to get it to work as a repeater but I've had no luck. Is there any way
I can get the old 2000AP to extend the range of the 2000-AP+? Thanks!

brendan@email.it
September 15, 2005 1:06:51 AM

"brendacchio" <brendan@email.it> wrote in message
> I have a D-Link DWL-2000AP+ (I am in Italy) and I am trying to extend
> the range of my wireless network. From reading the thread topics, it
> seems that I could either get another access point and use it as a
> repeater, or, buy a more powerful antenna. There seems to be an equal
> amount of positive and negative experiences regarding both situations.
> I have an old D-Link DWL-2000AP (not plus) and I've tried several times
> to get it to work as a repeater but I've had no luck. Is there any way
> I can get the old 2000AP to extend the range of the 2000-AP+? Thanks!
>
> brendan@email.it

From DLink's Knowledge Base:
http://support.dlink.com/

DWL-2000AP (not plus)
All revisions / Knowledge Base / Configuration / Repeater Mode Notice
--
This unit does not work in repeater mode. In the configuration, Repeater
mode is listed but does not work. When repeater mode is selected the unit

This option will be removed in the next firmware upgrade.
--

Also noted is that the "DWL-2000AP (not plus)" can act as a client only to
another "DWL-2000AP (not plus)", which probably means bridge modes as well.

I'm not familiar with the "DWL-2000AP+ (plus)", as it is a European model,
but would assume that it, in addition to more channels, it may useWDS for
repeating while the "DWL-2000AP (not plus)" does not?

If so, then its a similiar situation I was in about a year ago. I had a
DWL-764 a/b router for a couple years (still using it, works fine) when I
wanted to extend the range of it. I purchased a DWL-7100AP in hopes of
using it as a repeater. It wouldn't repeat the 764, since the 764 didn't
have WDS support. I ended up just plugging the 7100AP directly into the 764
and then picked up a second 7100AP to use as repeater for the first. Worked
great. Took a lot of trial and error to get both bands repeating though --
had to play with various firmware versions and finally discovered the second
firmware version worked while the others (including most recent) didn't.
DLink's support pages are "pretty good", but often things specific like that
aren't covered -- and require trial and error. Forget contacting their
technical support, its a joke. You'll be routed to some kid in India who
will be using a flow chart and reading directly from the support site.

Your best bet at repeating is either a second "DWL-2000AP+ (plus)", if it
can support repeating itself, (sorry - don't know Italian from the website).
:^)

Or, perhaps,

A "DWL-G800AP", which from support page, says that it can repeat a
"DWL-2000AP (not plus)". The "DWL-G800AP" is a little, small, "cute", box.
I don't have any of them, but do have a four similiar boxes (two DWL-800+
repeater, two DWL-810+ bridges). Not a whole lot to them, just configure
and forget. Receive range was suprisingly good with the little boxes, often
they pick up neighbor's SSID's when nothing else I have does. I would've
gotten "DWL-G800AP"'s at the time, instead of the DWL-800+'s, but at the
time cost was a factor -- and the SSID's I wanted to repeat was only used
for internet traffic anyway. (The second DWL-7100AP is repeating my WLAN
stuff.)

Look around the web, I'm sure the "DWL-G800AP" can be found for $40US (or
even less) now though. I think I paid like $60 for each of the 800/810's at
the time, can't remember. They were selling for $80 in the brick and mortar
stores at the time though, much more than they are worth.

There is also quite a bit of "hackware" out there for the 800/810's as well,
allowing the "repeaters to used as a bridges" and "bridges to be used as
repeaters", ect, so wouldn't be surprised if a lot of similiar "modified
firmware" exists for the G800AP as well.

Cheers
Eric
!