Acronis software (Disk Manager)

I recently bought the Acronis true-image (backup software) and their
disk manager (boot manager and partitioning sfotware).

I'm going to recommend against acronis. I had a disk partitioned (by
Windows XP Pro) with Drive C containing XP Home, Drive D Containing XP
Pro. I wanted to re-partition a 3rd logical drive to house some disc
utilities.

I re-partitioned the discs and it ruined the 2nd XP Installation and
corrupted it's own boot manager. Only logical disk 0 would boot after
the re-partitioning and it found CRC errors in the boot partition that
Acronis created.

Furthermore, Acronis support folks never replied to my emails and when
I tried calling them, I got a message saying there was nobody to
service the voice mail system and it wouldn't even take a message.
I guess I'll ask for a refund.

Jaz
11 answers Last reply
More about acronis software disk manager

    Well I can't address the disk manager but the true image software
    works great. I've used Norton Ghost and Drive Image in the past but
    True Image is much better IMO.

    jaz@jackzucker.com wrote:

    >I recently bought the Acronis true-image (backup software) and their
    >disk manager (boot manager and partitioning sfotware).
    >
    >I'm going to recommend against acronis. I had a disk partitioned (by
    >Windows XP Pro) with Drive C containing XP Home, Drive D Containing XP
    >Pro. I wanted to re-partition a 3rd logical drive to house some disc
    >utilities.
    >
    >I re-partitioned the discs and it ruined the 2nd XP Installation and
    >corrupted it's own boot manager. Only logical disk 0 would boot after
    >the re-partitioning and it found CRC errors in the boot partition that
    >Acronis created.
    >
    >Furthermore, Acronis support folks never replied to my emails and when
    >I tried calling them, I got a message saying there was nobody to
    >service the voice mail system and it wouldn't even take a message.
    >I guess I'll ask for a refund.
    >
    >Jaz

    I can't believe that the Acronis software can't back up to DVD's ... Only
    CDs. Too bad Acronis doesn't have customer service or support...

    --
    Experience a revolutionary way to approach the instrument.
    Introducing Sheets of Sound for Guitar

    Check it out at:
    http://www.sheetsofsound.net

    Jack A. Zucker wrote:
    > I can't believe that the Acronis software can't back up to DVD's ...
    > Only CDs. Too bad Acronis doesn't have customer service or support...

    I will point out that dual booting the same XP licence is a violation of the
    EULA. An XP licence is good for a single installation on *ONE* system
    (single as in the only installation, not as in it can only be installed one
    time). If you wish to dual boot XP with itself another licence will be
    required.

    on salads.

    "Jack A. Zucker" wrote:

    > I can't believe that the Acronis software can't back up to DVD's ... Only
    > CDs. Too bad Acronis doesn't have customer service or support...

    I backed up my HD last night with True Image to DVD+RW with zero problems!
    Read the help files.

    DUH.

    I have a license for XP Home which came with my Dell and I also have a
    separate license for XP Pro.

    I'm fully registered with Microsoft.

    Sheesh

    --

    > Jack A. Zucker wrote:
    >> I can't believe that the Acronis software can't back up to DVD's ...
    >> Only CDs. Too bad Acronis doesn't have customer service or support...
    >
    > I will point out that dual booting the same XP licence is a violation of
    > the EULA. An XP licence is good for a single installation on *ONE* system
    > (single as in the only installation, not as in it can only be installed
    > one time). If you wish to dual boot XP with itself another licence will be
    > required.
    >

    > --
    > Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    > on salads.

    I did read the help files. I don't use or have UDF drivers loaded. I learned
    very early in my CD and DVD burning days that the UDF drivers are often
    buggy and result in lost data.

    However, I have shareware programs which can burn data to DVD using the Nero
    burning images so I would think acronis could figure that out. However, they
    still haven't returned my support email from 3-4 days ago so I don't have
    high hopes.

    --

    Jack A. Zucker wrote:
    > I can't believe that the Acronis software can't back up to DVD's ...
    > Only CDs. Too bad Acronis doesn't have customer service or support...

    I will point out that dual booting the same XP licence is a violation of the
    EULA. An XP licence is good for a single installation on *ONE* system
    (single as in the only installation, not as in it can only be installed one
    time). If you wish to dual boot XP with itself another licence will be
    required.

    The Op said "I had a disk partitioned (by Windows XP Pro) with Drive C
    containing XP Home, Drive D Containing XP
    Pro", wouldn't he need 2 licenses to be able to do that?

    "Duh" <banspam@BAN.com> wrote in message
    > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
    > Jack A. Zucker wrote:
    >> I can't believe that the Acronis software can't back up to DVD's ...
    >> Only CDs. Too bad Acronis doesn't have customer service or support...
    >
    > I will point out that dual booting the same XP licence is a violation
    > of the EULA. An XP licence is good for a single installation on *ONE*
    > system (single as in the only installation, not as in it can only be
    > installed one time). If you wish to dual boot XP with itself another
    > licence will be required.

    I've never seen that definitively stated by Microsoft and I don't agree.

    > The Op said "I had a disk partitioned (by Windows XP Pro) with Drive C
    > containing XP Home, Drive D Containing XP
    > Pro", wouldn't he need 2 licenses to be able to do that?

    Well, if he had Home and Pro he would have two licenses, wouldn't he.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Backing up to DVD works for me.

    "Jack A. Zucker" <jaz@jackzucker.com> wrote:

    >I can't believe that the Acronis software can't back up to DVD's ... Only
    >CDs. Too bad Acronis doesn't have customer service or support...
    >
    >--
    >Experience a revolutionary way to approach the instrument.
    >Introducing Sheets of Sound for Guitar
    >"Let the music govern the way you play guitar instead of the guitar
    >governing the way you play music!"
    >
    >Check it out at:
    >http://www.sheetsofsound.net
    >"Harry Avant" <havant@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Well I can't address the disk manager but the true image software
    >> works great. I've used Norton Ghost and Drive Image in the past but
    >> True Image is much better IMO.
    >>

    >> jaz@jackzucker.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>I recently bought the Acronis true-image (backup software) and their
    >>>disk manager (boot manager and partitioning sfotware).
    >>>
    >>>I'm going to recommend against acronis. I had a disk partitioned (by
    >>>Windows XP Pro) with Drive C containing XP Home, Drive D Containing XP
    >>>Pro. I wanted to re-partition a 3rd logical drive to house some disc
    >>>utilities.
    >>>
    >>>I re-partitioned the discs and it ruined the 2nd XP Installation and
    >>>corrupted it's own boot manager. Only logical disk 0 would boot after
    >>>the re-partitioning and it found CRC errors in the boot partition that
    >>>Acronis created.
    >>>
    >>>Furthermore, Acronis support folks never replied to my emails and when
    >>>I tried calling them, I got a message saying there was nobody to
    >>>service the voice mail system and it wouldn't even take a message.
    >>>I guess I'll ask for a refund.
    >>>
    >>>Jaz

    your trueimage backs up to DVD directly?

    What version are you using? Mine will back up to CD only. I wonder if it's
    because I have a DL burner?

    I had to upgrade to nero 6 to get nero to recognize the burner. Maybe
    trueimage has the same issue?

    Experience a revolutionary way to approach the instrument.
    Introducing Sheets of Sound for Guitar
    "Let the music govern the way you play guitar instead of the guitar
    governing the way you play music!"

    Check it out at:
    http://www.sheetsofsound.net
    >>I can't believe that the Acronis software can't back up to DVD's ... Only
    >>CDs. Too bad Acronis doesn't have customer service or support...
    >>
    >>--
    >>Experience a revolutionary way to approach the instrument.
    >>Introducing Sheets of Sound for Guitar
    >>"Let the music govern the way you play guitar instead of the guitar
    >>governing the way you play music!"
    >>
    >>Check it out at:
    >>http://www.sheetsofsound.net
    >>"Harry Avant" <havant@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>> Well I can't address the disk manager but the true image software
    >>> works great. I've used Norton Ghost and Drive Image in the past but
    >>> True Image is much better IMO.

    I realize that and if you check the thread you'll see that my comments were
    not addressed to you but to Miss P. who brought up the point.

    "Jack A. Zucker" <jaz@jackzucker.com> wrote in message
    DUH.

    I have a license for XP Home which came with my Dell and I also have a
    separate license for XP Pro.

    I'm fully registered with Microsoft.

    Sheesh

    --
    Experience a revolutionary way to approach the instrument.
    Introducing Sheets of Sound for Guitar
    "Let the music govern the way you play guitar instead of the guitar
    governing the way you play music!"

    Check it out at:
    http://www.sheetsofsound.net
    > Jack A. Zucker wrote:
    >> I can't believe that the Acronis software can't back up to DVD's ...
    >> Only CDs. Too bad Acronis doesn't have customer service or support...
    >
    > I will point out that dual booting the same XP licence is a violation of
    > the EULA. An XP licence is good for a single installation on *ONE* system
    > (single as in the only installation, not as in it can only be installed
    > one time). If you wish to dual boot XP with itself another licence will be
    > required.
    >

    > --
    > Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    > on salads.

Windows XP Boot Software