unable to open pocket Excel file once it is saved in laptop.

a b D Laptop
February 17, 2005 5:43:42 PM

Hi?
I have a problem of opening Excel file, which was imported from my laptop.
Whenever I try to open Excel file, I get this error message.
"An error occurred while opening 'file'."

I can make new file in my pocket pc and can open in my laptop. However, once
I save it in my laptop and export to my pocket pc, I can't open that file.
Is this related with some secruity permission?

My laptop OS is Windows XP service pack 2 and my pocket OS is Windows Mobile
2003.

Thank you.

Have a good day.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 18, 2005 12:31:38 AM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:43:42 -0500, "Seaho Kim"
<seahokim@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Hi?
>I have a problem of opening Excel file, which was imported from my laptop.
>Whenever I try to open Excel file, I get this error message.
>"An error occurred while opening 'file'."
>
>I can make new file in my pocket pc and can open in my laptop. However, once
>I save it in my laptop and export to my pocket pc, I can't open that file.
>Is this related with some secruity permission?
>
>My laptop OS is Windows XP service pack 2 and my pocket OS is Windows Mobile
>2003.

Is there anything special with the file, ie are there embedded charts,
is it password protected, etc.? Are you sending the file via
ActiveSync, or via an IR connection?

--
Rob Borek
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

No, Nothing special with Excel file.
And I usually synchronize files via ActiveSync (ver. 3.8.0)
Today, I found new problem with my Pocket Excel.
When I enter some number (such as 19000) in the cell of my pocket Excel, it
is converted to like this (G1927n19271927Monl).
Hence, I checked the format of cells. The caterory of cells was General.
It's so strange.
I guess somthing wrong with my pocket Excel.

Thanks!

"Rob Borek [MS MVP]" <r_borek@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:43:42 -0500, "Seaho Kim"
> <seahokim@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi?
>>I have a problem of opening Excel file, which was imported from my laptop.
>>Whenever I try to open Excel file, I get this error message.
>>"An error occurred while opening 'file'."
>>
>>I can make new file in my pocket pc and can open in my laptop. However,
>>once
>>I save it in my laptop and export to my pocket pc, I can't open that file.
>>Is this related with some secruity permission?
>>
>>My laptop OS is Windows XP service pack 2 and my pocket OS is Windows
>>Mobile
>>2003.
>
> Is there anything special with the file, ie are there embedded charts,
> is it password protected, etc.? Are you sending the file via
> ActiveSync, or via an IR connection?
>
> --
> Rob Borek
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
> Want *ONE ON ONE* support? http://www.pocketpcone2one.com
> Please place all replies into the newsgroup so that others can benefit.
a b D Laptop
February 18, 2005 2:16:33 AM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:26:59 -0500, "Seaho Kim"
<seahokim@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>No, Nothing special with Excel file.
>And I usually synchronize files via ActiveSync (ver. 3.8.0)
>Today, I found new problem with my Pocket Excel.
>When I enter some number (such as 19000) in the cell of my pocket Excel, it
>is converted to like this (G1927n19271927Monl).
>Hence, I checked the format of cells. The caterory of cells was General.
>It's so strange.
>I guess somthing wrong with my pocket Excel.

Can you try disabling the conversion to Pocket Excel - go into Tools
-> Options, Rules tab, Conversion Settings button, Desktop to Device
tab and edit "Microsoft Excel Worksheet" and change Type to No
conversion. Pocket Excel can read normal Excel files just fine.

--
Rob Borek
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
Want *ONE ON ONE* support? http://www.pocketpcone2one.com
Please place all replies into the newsgroup so that others can benefit.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 18, 2005 2:22:26 PM

The pocket excel file doesn't include any charts of
images. It only contains text. And I usually synch with
ActiveSync (ver 3.8.0)

Thanks!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 18, 2005 5:34:39 PM

I tried disabling the conversion to Pocket Excel.
I still can't open the Excel file in my pocket pc.
Thanks!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 18, 2005 8:47:33 PM

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:34:39 -0800, "Seaho"

>I tried disabling the conversion to Pocket Excel.
>I still can't open the Excel file in my pocket pc.
>Thanks!

Which version of Excel are you using on the desktop?

--
Rob Borek
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
Want *ONE ON ONE* support? http://www.pocketpcone2one.com
Please place all replies into the newsgroup so that others can benefit.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 18, 2005 11:12:20 PM

I'm using Office 2003 on my desktop.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 19, 2005 5:36:29 PM

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:12:20 -0800, "Seaho"

>I'm using Office 2003 on my desktop.

Are you using unicode characters (ie Chinese/Korean/Cyrillic/etc.)?

--
Rob Borek
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
Want *ONE ON ONE* support? http://www.pocketpcone2one.com
Please place all replies into the newsgroup so that others can benefit.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 19, 2005 8:29:04 PM

I installed the unicode character (Korean Input system
IME 2002). However, usually I do not use that character.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 21, 2005 12:34:57 AM

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 17:29:04 -0800, "Seaho"

>I installed the unicode character (Korean Input system
>IME 2002). However, usually I do not use that character.

Can you try transferring files saved on another computer and see if
they open OK?

--
Rob Borek
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
Want *ONE ON ONE* support? http://www.pocketpcone2one.com
Please place all replies into the newsgroup so that others can benefit.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 23, 2005 3:31:38 PM

Hi Seaho,
I may be able to help if you send across a sample Excel file. Pls use
the mailing address suvi_singh@online.yahoo.com after removing online from
it.

Thnx
Suvarna Singh [MSFT]