How can I use WDS as repeater ?

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I have a wireless broadband router CNet CNBR-914W connected to my ISP modem
(DHCP server on) and a 3COM Officeconnect Wireless 11G Router (3CRWE554G72T)
with WDS (DHCP server switched off)

So how can I connect 3com to work as a repeater? I have turned WDS on.

So far I know that SSID must be the same on both , and I fill in the mac
address from CNET to 3COM.
And that DHCP is switched off. I have tried this , I connect to SSID
without a problem but nothing happens, so I must have forget something?

Maybe I have to configure the CNet router as well?

Thanks for any advice!

balo
2 answers Last reply
More about repeater
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    I've read that you may have problems trying to use WDS with routers of
    different manufacturers.
    Anyone used WDS with different manufacturer routers ?

    "balo" <nospam@nospam.no> wrote in message
    >I have a wireless broadband router CNet CNBR-914W connected to my ISP modem
    >(DHCP server on) and a 3COM Officeconnect Wireless 11G Router
    >(3CRWE554G72T) with WDS (DHCP server switched off)
    >
    > So how can I connect 3com to work as a repeater? I have turned WDS on.
    >
    > So far I know that SSID must be the same on both , and I fill in the mac
    > address from CNET to 3COM.
    > And that DHCP is switched off. I have tried this , I connect to SSID
    > without a problem but nothing happens, so I must have forget something?
    >
    > Maybe I have to configure the CNet router as well?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice!
    >
    > balo

  2. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Steve Berry wrote:
    > I've read that you may have problems trying to use WDS with routers of
    > different manufacturers.
    > Anyone used WDS with different manufacturer routers ?

    > "balo" <nospam@nospam.no> wrote in message
    > >I have a wireless broadband router CNet CNBR-914W connected to my ISP modem
    > >(DHCP server on) and a 3COM Officeconnect Wireless 11G Router
    > >(3CRWE554G72T) with WDS (DHCP server switched off)
    > >
    > > So how can I connect 3com to work as a repeater? I have turned WDS on.
    > >
    > > So far I know that SSID must be the same on both , and I fill in the mac
    > > address from CNET to 3COM.
    > > And that DHCP is switched off. I have tried this , I connect to SSID
    > > without a problem but nothing happens, so I must have forget something?
    > >
    > > Maybe I have to configure the CNet router as well?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any advice!
    > >
    > > balo

    I have set up a site with 5 Senao 3054 CB3 Plus's using WDS.
    There are 4 AP's and one in bridge mode to connect a desktop.
    One AP is the Main repeater/distributer to the other 3 using WDS. The
    furthest away is about 1000' which is the one the bridged client then
    connects to. I have a 12dbi yagi on the main AP.

    I originally setup all with the same SSID and could roam seemlessly
    from each except when near where the main AP is I was having diffuculty
    with the nearest WDS'ed AP with the laptop not sure which to connect to
    when walking around the house so changed that one to a different SSID
    and works fine now.

    Since we are only interested in getting on surfing the net and are
    using a direcway system (slow but not other options where we are) and
    not transferring files between each other I set everything to using B
    mode and also set to 1-2mb max throughput.
    I had tried it in all configs and found this to be the best. Seemed to
    drop a lot of packets when set to default settings (using B and G and
    auto thoughput) but when changed to just B mode and 1-2mbs it worked
    wonderfully and still does from an internal network standpoint. The
    only problem I find is with the latency with the direcway sometimes
    causes a lot of lost packets. (1000ms latency avg. pinging google from
    the furthest away computer)
    We are out where there is absolutely no other AP's to interfere and no
    portable phones either and still found this to work the best.
    If you don't need the full throughput I would suggest trying this and
    seeing how it works.

    It seems to me that so many people in this group are trying to get the
    max throughput and wonder how many actually NEED IT. Are they really
    transferring that many files within their home network? Most I would
    assume only have a 3-6mb connection to the net anyway so what is the
    need to get 108mb or even 54 for that matter when you are only trying
    to surf the net. I realize its nice to get the best but sometimes I
    think it is better to stick with lower throughput and better quality.
    At least that seems to work better for me. Any thoughts on this would
    be appreciated

Connectivity Routers Internet Service Providers Wireless Networking