Help - How do I setup these in XP Pro ?

I am using XP Pro. & Outlook Express 6.00.2900...... in my Laptop.

A)
As I right click the 'Start',
Then click 'Properties'
Then click 'Customize' in group 'Start Menu', I get 'Customize Start Menu'.
Under 'General', I have 'Show on Start Menu', with two selections,
As I check in for,

1. Internet - I have one selection, 'Internet Explorer', although I use MSN Explorer also
2. E-mail - I have one selection only , i.e., 'Microsoft Outlook', but I use Outlook Express

as my default E-mail carrier. Is there a way to include or make a change so that I can include
my e-mail as 'Outlook Express', rather than 'Microsoft Outlook'.

B)
How do I setup the Internet Explorer, so that under 'Tools', 'Mail and News', 'Read Mail',
I can open 'Outlook Express' rather than 'Microsoft Outlook', which I don't use at all.

Appreciate suggestions and help.
4 answers Last reply
More about help setup

    A)
    1. You say that there is no drop box to select?
    2. " " " " " " " " " " ?
    B)
    The title on the header is Microsoft Outlook Newsreader, it is Outlook Express in /outnews mode. Outlook is not a newsreader, Outlook Express is and that is what you are reading news in.

    From your header:

    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "Okie Noah" <okie_noah@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23omZbNK5EHA.1120@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    |I am using XP Pro. & Outlook Express 6.00.2900...... in my Laptop.
    |
    | A)
    | As I right click the 'Start',
    | Then click 'Properties'
    | Then click 'Customize' in group 'Start Menu', I get 'Customize Start Menu'.
    | Under 'General', I have 'Show on Start Menu', with two selections,
    | As I check in for,
    |
    | 1. Internet - I have one selection, 'Internet Explorer', although I use MSN Explorer also
    | 2. E-mail - I have one selection only , i.e., 'Microsoft Outlook', but I use Outlook Express
    |
    | as my default E-mail carrier. Is there a way to include or make a change so that I can include
    | my e-mail as 'Outlook Express', rather than 'Microsoft Outlook'.
    |
    | B)
    | How do I setup the Internet Explorer, so that under 'Tools', 'Mail and News', 'Read Mail',
    | I can open 'Outlook Express' rather than 'Microsoft Outlook', which I don't use at all.
    |
    | Appreciate suggestions and help.

    A) Yes I do see the drop box, but with only one selection in each drop box.
    I am using the latest Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
    My home PC does show multiple selections on each drop box.

    B) Within Explorer, when I click on 'Read News', it does open 'Microsoft Outlook Newsreader'
    But, when I click on 'Read Mail', the 'Microsoft Outlook' opens rather than 'Outlook Express'

    |"» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@new.rr.com> wrote in message news:%|23rfRZYK5EHA.2964@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    |A)
    | 1. You say that there is no drop box to select?
    | 2. " " " " " " " " " " ?
    |B)
    | The title on the header is Microsoft Outlook Newsreader, it is Outlook Express in /outnews mode. Outlook is not a
    |newsreader, Outlook Express is and that is what you are reading news in.
    |
    |From your header:

    |--

    > A) Yes I do see the drop box, but with only one selection in each
    > drop box. I am using the latest Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
    > (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) My home PC does show multiple
    > selections on each drop box.
    >
    > B) Within Explorer, when I click on 'Read News', it does open
    > 'Microsoft Outlook Newsreader' But, when I click on 'Read Mail',
    > the 'Microsoft Outlook' opens rather than 'Outlook Express'
    >

    >> "» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@new.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> A)
    >> 1. You say that there is no drop box to select?
    >> 2. " " " " " " " " " " ?
    >> B)
    >> The title on the header is Microsoft Outlook Newsreader, it is
    >> Outlook Express in /outnews mode. Outlook is not a newsreader,
    >> Outlook Express is and that is what you are reading news in.
    >>
    >> From your header:
    >>
    >> --
    >> Just my 2¢ worth,
    >> Jeff
    >> "Okie Noah" <okie_noah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I am using XP Pro. & Outlook Express 6.00.2900...... in my Laptop.
    >>
    >> A)
    >> As I right click the 'Start',
    >> Then click 'Properties'
    >> Then click 'Customize' in group 'Start Menu', I get 'Customize Start
    >> Menu'.
    >> Under 'General', I have 'Show on Start Menu', with two selections,
    >> As I check in for,
    >>
    >> 1. Internet - I have one selection, 'Internet Explorer',
    >> although I use MSN Explorer also
    >> 2. E-mail - I have one selection only , i.e., 'Microsoft
    >> Outlook', but I use Outlook Express
    >>
    >> as my default E-mail carrier. Is there a way to include or make a
    >> change so that I can include
    >> my e-mail as 'Outlook Express', rather than 'Microsoft Outlook'.
    >>
    >> B)
    >> How do I setup the Internet Explorer, so that under 'Tools', 'Mail
    >> and News', 'Read Mail',
    >> I can open 'Outlook Express' rather than 'Microsoft Outlook', which
    >> I don't use at all.
    >>
    >> Appreciate suggestions and help.

    From http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/defaultl.htm

    Go to Start | Run and type this command, with the double quotes and spaces:

    "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /reg

    and then make sure that OE is selected as the default mail program in both
    IE and OE.

    If that isn't enough, see this article:
    "Send To" and E-mail Links Do Not Work Using Outlook Express as Default:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306098

    You might also want to try this:

    Restores OE to the E-mail clients list in Internet Options
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/oe_client.htm

    To set Outlook as the default mail client,- Go to Start, Run - Type in the
    following with quotation marks and press OK
    "C:\program files\microsoft office\office\outlook.exe" /checkclient
    For more information on Outlook see:
    http://www.slipstick.com/config/defaultmailer.htm

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    By setting OE as default mail and news reader
    the problem was fixed both in OE and IE.

    Thank you so much.

Outlook Express Windows XP