Need more voltage for the DIMM slots!

x3m

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Hey there...

I need to get more voltage for my DIMM slots, thought that this would be something the overclockers in here could help me out with :twisted:

The problem is that I got a GA-7VAXFS motherboard that only supports 2.5V on the DIMM's (see the manual page 5). I got 512MB Kingston hyperX RAM (datasheet) that I wish to throw in it instead of my old 256MB pc2100 RAM, but the Kingston HyperX RAM needs 2.6V to run probably, can it be done? if so, how? Do I need a program or something or can it be done from the BIOS?

I'm not use to overclocking so explain it to me like the newb I am please... :oops:

Mondoman

Splendid
Your MB is what it is. Try the HyperX - it'll definitely run at 2.5V (or return for RMA), it just might not reach its fastest timings at 2.5V. It won't make a big (or probably even a noticeable) difference in performance.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Try running it at 2.5v and test for stability. As Mondoman said, a higher timing here and there wouldnt hurt.
But if you wanna truthly get the best performance, look up for mods for vDIMM for your motherboard. The XtremeSystems.com forums is a good place to start, but youll need some mighty soldering skills and much caution.

stephen1960

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Hey there...

I need to get more voltage for my DIMM slots, thought that this would be something the overclockers in here could help me out with :twisted:

The problem is that I got a GA-7VAXFS motherboard that only supports 2.5V on the DIMM's (see the manual page 5). I got 512MB Kingston hyperX RAM (datasheet) that I wish to throw in it instead of my old 256MB pc2100 RAM, but the Kingston HyperX RAM needs 2.6V to run probably, can it be done? if so, how? Do I need a program or something or can it be done from the BIOS?

I'm not use to overclocking so explain it to me like the newb I am please... :oops:

You might download and try out 8rdavcore (http://www.hasw.net/8rdavcore), I did so because my vcore voltage was too high. It also adjusts memory voltage. Your motherboard may be able to adjust the voltage but the bios just isn't programmed to do it. While I cannot guarantee the program will work for you, I was pleased with it. It will set the voltage on startup so you would be booting at a bios voltage setting which would then be raised when the 8rdavcore program launches.

By the way, a 2.5v limit sounds ridiculous. Best of luck.