Help choosing scanner for larger pictures

I do photo restoration, and lately I've needed to digitize several old
11"x14" pictures. My 2 flatbeds will not suffice. Could someone recommend
an oversize scanner that is reasonably priced?

Thank you,

jake
7 answers Last reply
More about help choosing scanner larger pictures

    "Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I do photo restoration, and lately I've needed to digitize several old
    > 11"x14" pictures. My 2 flatbeds will not suffice. Could someone
    > recommend
    > an oversize scanner that is reasonably priced?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > jake

    Do a Search on Ebay.com for "a3 scanner" without quotes.

    This search got 14 scanners for sale.
    http://search.ebay.com/a3-scanner_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

    I see several Mustek A3 scanners for around $165.
    A3 is 11 3/4 x 16 1/2 inches American.
    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    Why not just do 2 or 3 scans & then stitch up with panavue?
    Unless you got hundreds to do?

    "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message

    > "Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >I do photo restoration, and lately I've needed to digitize several old
    > > 11"x14" pictures. My 2 flatbeds will not suffice. Could someone
    > > recommend
    > > an oversize scanner that is reasonably priced?
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > >
    > > jake
    > >

    > Do a Search on Ebay.com for "a3 scanner" without quotes.
    >
    > This search got 14 scanners for sale.
    > http://search.ebay.com/a3-scanner_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8
    >
    > I see several Mustek A3 scanners for around $165.
    > A3 is 11 3/4 x 16 1/2 inches American.
    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > --

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    "BruceM" <bruce@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Why not just do 2 or 3 scans & then stitch up with panavue?
    > Unless you got hundreds to do?
    >

    > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > >I do photo restoration, and lately I've needed to digitize several old
    > > > 11"x14" pictures. My 2 flatbeds will not suffice. Could someone
    > > > recommend
    > > > an oversize scanner that is reasonably priced?
    > > >
    > > > Thank you,
    > > >
    > > > jake

    That is a good suggestion, and I have used Panavue a few times. However, I
    am not always successful getting a truly seamless product, especially on
    high-resolution, closely-cropped portraits. I would appreciate any tips or
    suggestions on how to use the product more effectively, as I would prefer
    this method to a large-format scanner if I could totally eliminate the seams
    of the stitched areas.

    jake
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    On large pictures I use my digital camera and get great results. You just
    have to be careful on how the picture is lighted and that you don't get
    reflections.

    > "BruceM" <bruce@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Why not just do 2 or 3 scans & then stitch up with panavue?
    >> Unless you got hundreds to do?
    >>

    >> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > That is a good suggestion, and I have used Panavue a few times. However,
    > am not always successful getting a truly seamless product, especially on
    > high-resolution, closely-cropped portraits. I would appreciate any tips
    > or
    > suggestions on how to use the product more effectively, as I would prefer
    > this method to a large-format scanner if I could totally eliminate the
    > seams
    > of the stitched areas.
    >
    > jake

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    This is what I have been doing, too. I have an Olympus C5050, 5.1mp camera
    that does an excellent job. However, Photoshop's tools will act/react
    differently depending on the method of source material, so there are times
    when a scan is preferable, or at least it would be nice to have both
    options. And you're exactly right: evenly distributed lighting is the
    critical factor, and for a restoration that will be processed by a good lab
    at 11x14 or larger, lighting differences that are virtually imperceptible at
    the time of import will become nagging problems. Some studio portraits from
    the '70s that were printed on certain types of "satin" finishes are the
    worst. It's amazing how easily these photos pick up glare. In such cases,
    scanning is a huge time-saver.

    jake

    "Crhoff" <cr-nospam-hoff@bestnetpc.com> wrote in message
    > On large pictures I use my digital camera and get great results. You just
    > have to be careful on how the picture is lighted and that you don't get
    > reflections.
    >

    > "Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "BruceM" <bruce@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Why not just do 2 or 3 scans & then stitch up with panavue?
    > >> Unless you got hundreds to do?
    > >>

    > >> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message

    > > That is a good suggestion, and I have used Panavue a few times.
    However,
    > > am not always successful getting a truly seamless product, especially on
    > > high-resolution, closely-cropped portraits. I would appreciate any tips
    > > or
    > > suggestions on how to use the product more effectively, as I would
    prefer
    > > this method to a large-format scanner if I could totally eliminate the
    > > seams
    > > of the stitched areas.
    > >
    > > jake

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Found this one in "another forum:"

    http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

    It *may* work better for you.

    "Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "BruceM" <bruce@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Why not just do 2 or 3 scans & then stitch up with panavue?
    > > Unless you got hundreds to do?
    > >

    > > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > That is a good suggestion, and I have used Panavue a few times. However,
    > am not always successful getting a truly seamless product, especially on
    > high-resolution, closely-cropped portraits. I would appreciate any tips
    or
    > suggestions on how to use the product more effectively, as I would prefer
    > this method to a large-format scanner if I could totally eliminate the
    seams
    > of the stitched areas.
    >
    > jake

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    A couple of tips that might help you. I don't know what or how you are doing
    it so..................
    I find if I allow plenty of overlap. Don't scan just to one point & then
    start the next scan from that point.
    For instance if I want to do a landscape covering a full 180 degrees, then I
    might take 20 photos of about 40 degrees each. Just make sure you take them
    all quickly before the clouds or light conditions change.
    Probably doesn't apply to doing pictures but I'd still do a good overlap.
    Next thing is to position the "pins" manually & put the first ones as far
    apart on the seam as you can

    "Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "BruceM" <bruce@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Why not just do 2 or 3 scans & then stitch up with panavue?
    > > Unless you got hundreds to do?
    > >

    > > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > That is a good suggestion, and I have used Panavue a few times. However,
    > am not always successful getting a truly seamless product, especially on
    > high-resolution, closely-cropped portraits. I would appreciate any tips
    or
    > suggestions on how to use the product more effectively, as I would prefer
    > this method to a large-format scanner if I could totally eliminate the
    seams
    > of the stitched areas.
    >
    > jake

Scanners Photo Peripherals Product