Dertman

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
I have decided that I am going with 1 x Raptor 150 (performance) for my gaming and 2 x 7200.10 RAID 1 (security) for my business files (and everything else). My question is - is it worth installing the OS twice (dual boot)? My reasoning is two-fold: 1) the Raptor OS would be bare minimum (no antivirus, utilities, etc.) so I would get optimal performance; & 2) because the OS is on a Raptor it would be faster than having the game on the Raptor and the OS on the 'Cuda.

Is it worth the effort or will the gains be minimal? I have MSDN so the OS cost is not a factor, but having to reboot to play is a little bit of a nuisance.

Thanks.

Syaoran04

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
you probably shouldnt do it.... i mean the gains that are achieved arent really that great...

80% of the time the hd is use to just load the game and then after its not used as much. so the only advantage your going to see is that your loading time for games is going to come down maybe like 5 to 10 seconds... other than that theres no real reason to dual boot....

Dertman

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
The first thing I wanted to do was to speed the boot times, both to start games and to load levels. The second and perhaps more important reason is to run a "clean" version of Windows. I am at the tail end of my last upgrade cycle and I can't even tell you how much junk has accumulated in both the Registry and the System Tray. I know there are tools and I could manually clean some of it, but it is unrealistick that I will get most of the stuff. Additionally, certain services (like virus protection) are pretty much always running and my assumption was that if I had a boot for Windows that has nothing but games installed on it - that I would not see the performance degradation as quickly (hence legnthening the need for my next upgrade).

I always wanted as a Windows feature to be able to switch to "Game Mode" where all but the most critical services are turned off so that you could play with maximum performance.

Syaoran04

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
well i guess in that case you can do that.. but i mean to go through all the trouble just to load up windows like 5 seconds faster or get into a game 3 seconds faster... iono kinda troublesome... as for the resources thing... as long as you have one of todays dual core machines with around 2gb of ram having norton on in the background isnt going to kill THAT many framerates.. but i mean if your a junkie looking to squeeze that few 5-10 extra fps on top of 100 then by all means go ahead.. i'm just looking at it from an economical and time point of view.

if it were me i'ld probaly use the raptor as the hd, game, and program holder. then use the Raid-1 as the security storage. you get your performance where you need it and you can still have the mirroring so that all your data is saved.

but technically you could do it the way you orginally described. :p