Newbie question about setting up XP - coming from win98se ..

Hi all,

I recently stepped up to Windows XP Pro, have have been migrating all
my folders and files to the the new XP machine, and I was setting it
up as I usually would do, which is to install the O/S to C: and
everything else to D: however - when I was checking the different
users accounts (there are 2 others - limited) I am seeing all my
stuff on their menus... is this because of the way I'm installing????

Is there any way to isolate the programs I'm installing to D: to just
my user account or am I going to have to reinstall everything ? ;-(

My C: drive is only 6Gigs, as this is the way I got used to doing
things as a way of isolating the O/S in case of the need to reformat
and begin again.. My second physical drive is 120G partitioned into 3
logical drives.

I'm hoping there's a way to do this so I don't have to start over with
this, but I have a sinking feeling...........

hopefully,
niteowl
28 answers Last reply
More about newbie question setting coming win98se

    A 6 GB C: is a little smaller than I would use since I
    install the OS and the applications to C: since if you have
    to reinstall the OS the applications will also need to be
    reinstalled anyway.
    XP has a nice feature, if you right click on My Documents
    and select properties, you can move the entire folder out of
    the OS folder on C: to a drive of your choice, do this for
    each user account. Also use the Tools/Options/maintenance
    menu in Outlook Express to move the message store folders
    for each account, that will preserve the data if you have to
    reinstall.

    Is D: a partition or is it on your second physical drive,
    that wasn't clear?

    --
    Merry Christmas
    Have a Safe and Happy New Year
    | Hi all,
    |
    | I recently stepped up to Windows XP Pro, have have been
    migrating all
    | my folders and files to the the new XP machine, and I was
    setting it
    | up as I usually would do, which is to install the O/S to
    C: and
    | everything else to D: however - when I was checking
    the different
    | users accounts (there are 2 others - limited) I am seeing
    all my
    | stuff on their menus... is this because of the way I'm
    installing????

    | Is there any way to isolate the programs I'm installing to
    D: to just
    | my user account or am I going to have to reinstall
    everything ? ;-(

    | My C: drive is only 6Gigs, as this is the way I got used
    to doing
    | things as a way of isolating the O/S in case of the need
    to reformat
    | and begin again.. My second physical drive is 120G
    partitioned into 3
    | logical drives.
    |
    | I'm hoping there's a way to do this so I don't have to
    start over with
    | this, but I have a sinking feeling...........
    |
    | hopefully,
    | niteowl

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 06:11:04 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >A 6 GB C: is a little smaller than I would use since I
    >install the OS and the applications to C: since if you have
    >to reinstall the OS the applications will also need to be
    >reinstalled anyway.
    >XP has a nice feature, if you right click on My Documents
    >and select properties, you can move the entire folder out of
    >the OS folder on C: to a drive of your choice, do this for
    >each user account. Also use the Tools/Options/maintenance
    >menu in Outlook Express to move the message store folders
    >for each account, that will preserve the data if you have to
    >reinstall.
    >
    >Is D: a partition or is it on your second physical drive,
    >that wasn't clear?

    C: is a 6G phsyical drive

    D:, E: and F: are logical drives on a separate physical drive.

    How is moving the My Documents folder going to isolate from the other
    users the different programs I've installed to D: ??

    I don't really understand the directory structure I guess. This is my
    first experience with Adminstrative stuff. ;-\

    Thanks for your patience and wisdom.. awaiting your input.

    niteowl

    If you don't move My Documents, for each user from the
    default C: location, your small 6 GB C: drive will fill-up
    and you will not be able to defrag or handle Windows updates
    due to lack of free space for temp files.

    Windows XP is designed as a multi-user OS, it completely
    isolates each user account from the others, unless you allow
    sharing of certain folders.

    You can have each user account on the same drive/partition,
    they cannot access the other users data. Did you say
    whether you are running XP Home or Pro? The basic user
    account types are administrative and limited. Any
    administrative account can get into and modify any account
    on the computer and install/remove programs. A limited
    account cannot access other users accounts or add/remove
    programs.
    Their accounts, email and settings are private unless set to
    be shared.

    With your setup I think you're making a mistake using the 6
    GB drive as your boot drive because it is probably a slow
    drive with a small cache [guessing 5400 RPM].
    If it was my computer I would consider, when an opportunity
    presented itself, to set it up with the faster 120 GB,
    partitioned as it is now, in three partitions... move the
    data from the D: partition to a folder on E:, then format
    D:.
    Turn the computer OFF, open it up, re-set the jumpers so the
    120 GB drive was master and the 6 GB a slave. Close it back
    up, do a clean install to the C: partition (formerly the
    D:), resizing it to about 25 GB leaving some unused space to
    be handled later.

    The 6 GB drive could then be used for swap files as D: and
    the present E: and F: would remain the same.

    You would see better, faster performance using the faster
    big drive (assuming it is 7200 RPM) and the small drive
    could be used for the swap file (virtual memory by manually
    setting it up) and that would also speed up operation.

    --
    message news:r498s015vp5sgioivfpbf422b343elpsll@4ax.com...
    | On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 06:11:04 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    | <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
    |
    | >A 6 GB C: is a little smaller than I would use since I
    | >install the OS and the applications to C: since if you
    have
    | >to reinstall the OS the applications will also need to be
    | >reinstalled anyway.
    | >XP has a nice feature, if you right click on My Documents
    | >and select properties, you can move the entire folder out
    of
    | >the OS folder on C: to a drive of your choice, do this
    for
    | >each user account. Also use the
    Tools/Options/maintenance
    | >menu in Outlook Express to move the message store folders
    | >for each account, that will preserve the data if you have
    | >reinstall.
    | >
    | >Is D: a partition or is it on your second physical drive,
    | >that wasn't clear?
    |
    | C: is a 6G phsyical drive
    |
    | D:, E: and F: are logical drives on a separate physical
    drive.

    | How is moving the My Documents folder going to isolate
    from the other
    | users the different programs I've installed to D: ??
    |
    | I don't really understand the directory structure I guess.
    This is my
    | first experience with Adminstrative stuff. ;-\
    |
    | Thanks for your patience and wisdom.. awaiting your input.
    |
    | niteowl

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 07:46:12 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >If you don't move My Documents, for each user from the
    >default C: location, your small 6 GB C: drive will fill-up
    >and you will not be able to defrag or handle Windows updates
    >due to lack of free space for temp files.

    okay, that I understand.

    >Windows XP is designed as a multi-user OS, it completely
    >isolates each user account from the others, unless you allow
    >sharing of certain folders.

    at this moment I have D:, E: and F: shared fully, so is that why all
    the stuff is showing up in every acct. ?? If I unshare the D: drive
    and leave E: and F: (my storage drives) shared, will that isolate
    those programs?

    >You can have each user account on the same drive/partition,
    >they cannot access the other users data. Did you say
    >whether you are running XP Home or Pro?

    Pro

    >The basic user
    >account types are administrative and limited. Any
    >administrative account can get into and modify any account
    >on the computer and install/remove programs. A limited
    >account cannot access other users accounts or add/remove
    >programs.
    >Their accounts, email and settings are private unless set to
    >be shared.

    I have the only administrative acct, the other 2 are limited.

    >With your setup I think you're making a mistake using the 6
    >GB drive as your boot drive because it is probably a slow
    >drive with a small cache [guessing 5400 RPM].

    yes

    >If it was my computer I would consider, when an opportunity
    >presented itself, to set it up with the faster 120 GB,
    >partitioned as it is now, in three partitions... move the
    >data from the D: partition to a folder on E:, then format
    >D:.
    >Turn the computer OFF, open it up, re-set the jumpers so the
    >120 GB drive was master and the 6 GB a slave. Close it back
    >up, do a clean install to the C: partition (formerly the
    >D:), resizing it to about 25 GB leaving some unused space to
    >be handled later.

    my initial setup was C: 20G, D: and E: 50G ea. so that should be
    adequate, yes? D: has about 1.4G on it so far, E: is almost full
    (about 1.5G available), F: is empty still.

    >The 6 GB drive could then be used for swap files as D: and
    >the present E: and F: would remain the same.

    and I can just ressign the drive letters?

    >You would see better, faster performance using the faster
    >big drive (assuming it is 7200 RPM) and the small drive
    >could be used for the swap file (virtual memory by manually
    >setting it up) and that would also speed up operation.

    nope, it's a 5400rpm drive also.. ;-( price must have been better.

    I do have a 60G 7200rpm drive available, I think I'll just swap out
    the 6G and replace it, if I have to reinstall anyway, might as well do
    it that way... and might as well do it now than later..

    thanks for the info? knowledge is power.. ;-)

    please still answer the above questions though, it will help me
    understand this better, mostly about the sharing issue.. if I just
    unshare the D: drive, will those program then be unavailable to the
    other users?

    Thanks for your paitience.

    niteowl

    PS.. I just tried unsharing the drive, didn't work,

    I also just tried removing the shortcuts from the other user's menu..
    got an error saying removing that would affect ALL USERS, so cancelled
    that and am now once again waiting for your answers.. ;-)

    niteowl

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 09:45:16 -0500, niteowl
> [...]

    >>the present E: and F: would remain the same.
    >
    >and I can just ressign the drive letters?
    >
    >>You would see better, faster performance using the faster
    >>big drive (assuming it is 7200 RPM) and the small drive
    >>could be used for the swap file (virtual memory by manually
    >>setting it up) and that would also speed up operation.
    >
    >nope, it's a 5400rpm drive also.. ;-( price must have been better.
    >
    >I do have a 60G 7200rpm drive available, I think I'll just swap out
    >the 6G and replace it, if I have to reinstall anyway, might as well do
    >it that way... and might as well do it now than later..
    >
    >thanks for the info? knowledge is power.. ;-)
    >
    >please still answer the above questions though, it will help me
    >understand this better, mostly about the sharing issue.. if I just
    >unshare the D: drive, will those program then be unavailable to the

    What you need to remember about XP is that it is a true
    multi-user OS. Unlike W98/ME which did not really work well
    with multi-user accounts and provide security and privacy,
    XP does, by default prevent one user from accessing the
    another users data files (My Documents and email). In W98
    just hitting cancel on the user logon, will boot to a
    default user account and all files and data is readable.

    Windows XP Pro has more levels of user accounts and user
    rights control. Using NTFS also improves data security.

    When a user creates a file in their account, it is private,
    by default, unless the folder is being shared, even then a
    file on a shared drive can be encrypted and locked with a
    password.

    Applications and services may be controlled using XP Pro and
    to a lesser extent using XP Home. So you can have accounts
    with full access (administrator accounts) and limited
    accounts that may have some application unavailable and they
    won't be able to change their own permissions.

    Each User Account will have a default My Documents folder in
    the C: drive. Moving these My Documents folders has the
    advantage of isolating the data from a system crash which
    could result in data loss if reformatting and reinstallation
    was required. Moving the files is essential if the drive
    (partition) is small because you need to keep a minimum of
    15% free disk space to allow defrag to run.

    You can help us with user accounts setup, security and such
    by saying exactly what you are trying to setup and for whom.
    For instance, You are the administrator and need the default
    administrator (which is hidden when you create the first
    user account) and you need a user account with admin rights
    so you can do required computer maintenance and setup w/o
    screwing up the default admin acct. These accounts should
    have passwords. Then it is good practice to have a limited
    user account for your routine use.

    Then you will get to the issue of other users and what they
    need and what you want them to be able to do. Do they need
    to access the Internet, send a FAX, install programs, do you
    want them to have no access to adult sites (your children?)
    and what version of XP you have will determine what you can
    and cannot do.

    BTW, don't snip to much, I don't want to have to go back and
    look for your previous posts to see what questions and info
    you have previously posted.

    Yes, I would certainly switch to the faster drive, you will
    notice that things happen 50% faster.

    When you install a program, by default it will be useable to
    all users ad Windows will put a link to programs in each
    users startup and program menus. But as an administrator
    you can remove access on a user's account by deleting the
    program on that user's account.

    In general, programs ARE NOT shared, you have programs
    installed, data is shared.

    --
    message news:7gf8s05m0qqo66i088gefthe4h1b0i94au@4ax.com...
> [...]
    |
    | >You would see better, faster performance using the faster
    | >big drive (assuming it is 7200 RPM) and the small drive
    | >could be used for the swap file (virtual memory by
    manually
    | >setting it up) and that would also speed up operation.
    |
    | nope, it's a 5400rpm drive also.. ;-( price must have
    been better.

    | I do have a 60G 7200rpm drive available, I think I'll just
    swap out
    | the 6G and replace it, if I have to reinstall anyway,
    might as well do
    | it that way... and might as well do it now than later..
    |
    | thanks for the info? knowledge is power.. ;-)
    |
    | please still answer the above questions though, it will
    help me
    | understand this better, mostly about the sharing issue..
    if I just
    | unshare the D: drive, will those program then be

    If you put shortcuts into the "all users", then all users will have access..
    if you want the other accounts to have fewer facilities, then put the
    shortcuts into your account, and then just copy what you want the other
    accounts to have.. obviously, if you move items from "all users", it will
    affect ALL USERS..

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 06:42:29 -0500, niteowl wrote:

    > I recently stepped up to Windows XP Pro, have have been migrating all
    > my folders and files to the the new XP machine, and I was setting it
    > up as I usually would do, which is to install the O/S to C: and
    > everything else to D: however - when I was checking the different
    > users accounts (there are 2 others - limited) I am seeing all my
    > stuff on their menus... is this because of the way I'm installing????
    >
    > Is there any way to isolate the programs I'm installing to D: to just
    > my user account or am I going to have to reinstall everything ? ;-(

    The items you're seeing in the other user's start menus are only shortcuts.
    Very small in size. They point to the same program folder that you
    installed the program to.

    When logged onto other users' accounts, you *might* run into a program or
    two that asks you to run setup again. The point of doing so would be
    creating program related registry entries for that user. The program can be
    installed to the same folder where it was installed before so that the bulk
    of the program's files would not be duplicated.

    In general, older programs tend to set themselves up for the user running
    the setup program only - or - they will setup for all users. Most newer
    programs will ask during setup if you are installing for yourself only or
    for all users. Whatever you choose will, among other things, decide where
    the start menu shortcuts will go.

    Each user's start menu is a composite derived from two sources:
    ...\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
    ...\Documents and Settings\<user account>\Start Menu

    You can copy the shortcuts from the All Users start menu folders to those
    belonging to the users that want/need the shortcut. Once the copy is done,
    then you can delete the original shortcuts in the All Users folders.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    I didn't realize I was snipping, I thought I was just typing between
    your paragraphs... oh well, I'll just top post then..

    I think I'm getting this a bit now.. someone else suggested moving the
    shortcuts from the "All Users" into the acct where I wanted them, and
    that worked sorta.

    You brought up somethine else though about the Adminstrative
    accounts.. There is more than one? Well, I looked in the windows
    explorer and on the C: drive I am showing the following folders:

    Local Disk (C:)
    .file_store_32
    +Documents and Settings
    +All Users
    +All Users.WINDOWS
    +Default User
    +Default User.WINDOWS
    +Kalehli
    +LocalService
    +LocalService.NT AUTHORITY
    +Maurine
    +NetworkService
    +NetworkService.NT AUTHORITY
    niteowl
    +Niteowl.ALLAING
    dwnlds
    +epson
    +Program Files
    RECYCLER
    System Volume Information
    +WINDOWS

    The "niteowl" (without the +) folder I can't access, gives me an error
    message, saying it is "not accessible, Access is denied" Why?

    It appears to me that Kalehli and Maurine are the limited account's
    folders, the "Niteowl.ALLAING" is the administrative account, and the
    one I use, I think, when I boot up. Is the Default User the hidden
    admin acct?

    I remember setting up the Niteowl acct as the Admin acct during the
    installation, is there another one that was setup without me knowing
    about it.. and does it have a password, and if so what it is???? or
    how do I access it, and WHY would I need to? If I have an
    adminstrative acct, why would I still need another hidden admin acct?

    On bootup I show 3 names to choose from on the welcome screen,
    Kalehli, Maurine, and Niteowl. Niteowl is password protected, the
    others are not.

    What is the LocalService and NetworkService stuff?

    If I'm "sharing" a drive so I can transfer files to and from other
    stations, does that give other users on the same machine access to
    them also? I'm just trying to understand the limitations and how the
    flow works. In all actuality I probably won't share my working
    drives, C: and D:, the file archive storage drives will be fully
    shared. These are mainly image and music/media files.

    I have Outlook Express setup usually, but only for access to hotmail
    accts. which I understand won't be lasting that much longer anyway,
    but my default email program is Eudora, moving the shortcut out of the
    All Users folder seemed to take care of that issue though.

    So, when I put in the new 60G drive, if I partition it to C: and D:
    40% and 60%, move the "My Documents" folders to the D drive, leave C:
    and D: unshared, can I still setup a specific folder to share anyway
    over the my network?

    Anyway, my main purpose I guess is to limit my daughters internet
    access and limit what progrrams she can use on the system... Since
    this is the fastest machine on my network, she'll want to be playing
    her favorite online games on this machine when I'm not using it, so
    basically yes, I need to limit the adult stuff for her acct. and other
    than that she doesn't need to do anything else on my machine. She
    does have her own computer and the limitations are enforced so far by
    looking over her shoulder occassionally. ;-) I'll need something
    better soon though..

    I am building another machine for her and will install XP to that one
    also, so this is just an interim arrangement for her to be on my
    machine, but I do need to understand this anyway as I have taken on
    the task of maintaining 50 computers at the new charter middle school
    she goes to, and this is all pretty new to me. I thought working with
    this at home would help educate me for the schools needs also. I'm
    just a volunteer there as the funding isn't available for a hired IT
    guy, so we're making do with me. ;-)

    I do have a better understanding now, the list of accts above is still
    fuzzy, but I'm sure it'll clear up.

    Again, thanks for your efforts to educate me. and your patience.

    niteowl

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:14:18 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >What you need to remember about XP is that it is a true
    >multi-user OS. Unlike W98/ME which did not really work well
    >with multi-user accounts and provide security and privacy,
    >XP does, by default prevent one user from accessing the
    >another users data files (My Documents and email). In W98
    >just hitting cancel on the user logon, will boot to a
    >default user account and all files and data is readable.
    >
    >Windows XP Pro has more levels of user accounts and user
    >rights control. Using NTFS also improves data security.
    >
    >When a user creates a file in their account, it is private,
    >by default, unless the folder is being shared, even then a
    >file on a shared drive can be encrypted and locked with a
    >password.
    >
    >Applications and services may be controlled using XP Pro and
    >to a lesser extent using XP Home. So you can have accounts
    >with full access (administrator accounts) and limited
    >accounts that may have some application unavailable and they
    >won't be able to change their own permissions.
    >
    >Each User Account will have a default My Documents folder in
    >the C: drive. Moving these My Documents folders has the
    >advantage of isolating the data from a system crash which
    >could result in data loss if reformatting and reinstallation
    >was required. Moving the files is essential if the drive
    >(partition) is small because you need to keep a minimum of
    >15% free disk space to allow defrag to run.
    >
    >You can help us with user accounts setup, security and such
    >by saying exactly what you are trying to setup and for whom.
    >For instance, You are the administrator and need the default
    >administrator (which is hidden when you create the first
    >user account) and you need a user account with admin rights
    >so you can do required computer maintenance and setup w/o
    >screwing up the default admin acct. These accounts should
    >have passwords. Then it is good practice to have a limited
    >user account for your routine use.
    >
    >Then you will get to the issue of other users and what they
    >need and what you want them to be able to do. Do they need
    >to access the Internet, send a FAX, install programs, do you
    >want them to have no access to adult sites (your children?)
    >and what version of XP you have will determine what you can
    >and cannot do.
    >
    >BTW, don't snip to much, I don't want to have to go back and
    >look for your previous posts to see what questions and info
    >you have previously posted.
    >
    >Yes, I would certainly switch to the faster drive, you will
    >notice that things happen 50% faster.
    >
    >When you install a program, by default it will be useable to
    >all users ad Windows will put a link to programs in each
    >users startup and program menus. But as an administrator
    >you can remove access on a user's account by deleting the
    >program on that user's account.
    >
    >In general, programs ARE NOT shared, you have programs
    >installed, data is shared.

    I see that you have XP Pro, you can turn Simple File Sharing
    OFF and then set permissions as you want. Also, if you
    right click on My Computer and select Manage, you will see
    Local Users and Groups, you can see and control how the
    accounts work there. But be careful and read the help files
    and change only one thing at a time, else you can break your
    system.

    To gain access to files and folders you may need to take
    ownership
    see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    Be sure to read Sharon's answer too. Also, you might be
    interested in a getting a book or two, Windows XP Inside/Out
    is most complete, but there are many good books.

    Also, XP help (press F1 ) has some good material and is
    on-line to MS Knowledge Base articles.

    "niteowl" <niteowl@NOniteowlproductionsSPAM.com> wrote in
    message news:sso8s0lmh84tju8hu8scb5ljdojvtt78qa@4ax.com...
> [...]
    children?)
    | >and what version of XP you have will determine what you
    can
    | >and cannot do.
    | >
    | >BTW, don't snip to much, I don't want to have to go back
    and
    | >look for your previous posts to see what questions and
    info
    | >you have previously posted.
    | >
    | >Yes, I would certainly switch to the faster drive, you
    will
    | >notice that things happen 50% faster.
    | >
    | >When you install a program, by default it will be useable
    | >all users ad Windows will put a link to programs in each
    | >users startup and program menus. But as an administrator
    | >you can remove access on a user's account by deleting the
    | >program on that user's account.
    | >
    | >In general, programs ARE NOT shared, you have programs

    Thanks

    niteowl

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:28:37 -0500, "Mike Hall"
    <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >If you put shortcuts into the "all users", then all users will have access..
    >if you want the other accounts to have fewer facilities, then put the
    >shortcuts into your account, and then just copy what you want the other
    >accounts to have.. obviously, if you move items from "all users", it will
    >affect ALL USERS..
    >

    >"niteowl" <niteowl@NOniteowlproductionsSPAM.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I recently stepped up to Windows XP Pro, have have been migrating all
    >> my folders and files to the the new XP machine, and I was setting it
    >> up as I usually would do, which is to install the O/S to C: and
    >> everything else to D: however - when I was checking the different
    >> users accounts (there are 2 others - limited) I am seeing all my
    >> stuff on their menus... is this because of the way I'm installing????
    >>
    >> Is there any way to isolate the programs I'm installing to D: to just
    >> my user account or am I going to have to reinstall everything ? ;-(
    >>
    >> My C: drive is only 6Gigs, as this is the way I got used to doing
    >> things as a way of isolating the O/S in case of the need to reformat
    >> and begin again.. My second physical drive is 120G partitioned into 3
    >> logical drives.
    >>
    >> I'm hoping there's a way to do this so I don't have to start over with
    >> this, but I have a sinking feeling...........
    >>
    >> hopefully,
    >> niteowl

    thanks for the info about maybe having to run the setup program again,
    that was good to know..

    you mention "copying" the shortcuts that then going back to delete the
    original... is "moving" them not good?

    Thanks for responding.

    niteowl

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 13:21:59 -0600, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 06:42:29 -0500, niteowl wrote:
    >
    >> I recently stepped up to Windows XP Pro, have have been migrating all
    >> my folders and files to the the new XP machine, and I was setting it
    >> up as I usually would do, which is to install the O/S to C: and
    >> everything else to D: however - when I was checking the different
    >> users accounts (there are 2 others - limited) I am seeing all my
    >> stuff on their menus... is this because of the way I'm installing????
    >>
    >> Is there any way to isolate the programs I'm installing to D: to just
    >> my user account or am I going to have to reinstall everything ? ;-(
    >
    >The items you're seeing in the other user's start menus are only shortcuts.
    >Very small in size. They point to the same program folder that you
    >installed the program to.
    >
    >When logged onto other users' accounts, you *might* run into a program or
    >two that asks you to run setup again. The point of doing so would be
    >creating program related registry entries for that user. The program can be
    >installed to the same folder where it was installed before so that the bulk
    >of the program's files would not be duplicated.
    >
    >In general, older programs tend to set themselves up for the user running
    >the setup program only - or - they will setup for all users. Most newer
    >programs will ask during setup if you are installing for yourself only or
    >for all users. Whatever you choose will, among other things, decide where
    >the start menu shortcuts will go.
    >
    >Each user's start menu is a composite derived from two sources:
    >..\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
    >..\Documents and Settings\<user account>\Start Menu
    >
    >You can copy the shortcuts from the All Users start menu folders to those
    >belonging to the users that want/need the shortcut. Once the copy is done,
    >then you can delete the original shortcuts in the All Users folders.

    How do I get a "My Computer" icon on the desktop.. it never was there,
    I thought maybe it wasn't suppose to be.. ???

    I also don't have a Network Neighborhood, is that suppose to be there
    too?

    thanks,
    niteowl

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 13:39:38 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >I see that you have XP Pro, you can turn Simple File Sharing
    >OFF and then set permissions as you want. Also, if you
    >right click on My Computer and select Manage, you will see
    >Local Users and Groups, you can see and control how the
    >accounts work there. But be careful and read the help files
    >and change only one thing at a time, else you can break your
    >system.
    >
    >To gain access to files and folders you may need to take
    >ownership
    >see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
    >
    >Be sure to read Sharon's answer too. Also, you might be
    >interested in a getting a book or two, Windows XP Inside/Out
    >is most complete, but there are many good books.
    >
    >Also, XP help (press F1 ) has some good material and is
    >on-line to MS Knowledge Base articles.

    Right click on the desktop, select properties. The select
    Desktop and then Customize Desktop. Should be obvious.

    --
    message news:9339s0td7p5njfs5i7acv3th7hlknpt65u@4ax.com...
    | How do I get a "My Computer" icon on the desktop.. it
    never was there,
    | I thought maybe it wasn't suppose to be.. ???
    |
    | I also don't have a Network Neighborhood, is that suppose
    to be there
    | too?
    |
    | thanks,
    | niteowl
    |

    | On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 13:39:38 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    | <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
    |
    | >I see that you have XP Pro, you can turn Simple File
    Sharing
    | >OFF and then set permissions as you want. Also, if you
    | >right click on My Computer and select Manage, you will
    see
    | >Local Users and Groups, you can see and control how the
    | >accounts work there. But be careful and read the help
    files
    | >and change only one thing at a time, else you can break
    your
    | >system.
    | >
    | >To gain access to files and folders you may need to take
    | >ownership
    | >see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
    | >
    | >Be sure to read Sharon's answer too. Also, you might be
    | >interested in a getting a book or two, Windows XP
    Inside/Out
    | >is most complete, but there are many good books.
    | >
    | >Also, XP help (press F1 ) has some good material and is
    | >on-line to MS Knowledge Base articles.

    "niteowl" <niteowl@NOniteowlproductionsSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > How do I get a "My Computer" icon on the desktop.. it never was there,
    > I thought maybe it wasn't suppose to be.. ???
    >
    > I also don't have a Network Neighborhood, is that suppose to be there
    > too?
    >
    > thanks,
    > niteowl

    Right click a blank spot on the desktop and choose Properties | Desktop |
    Advanced and check them.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    That won't create any needed Registry entries for that user.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 13:43:01 -0500, niteowl wrote:

    > The "niteowl" (without the +) folder I can't access, gives me an error
    > message, saying it is "not accessible, Access is denied" Why?
    >
    > It appears to me that Kalehli and Maurine are the limited account's
    > folders, the "Niteowl.ALLAING" is the administrative account, and the
    > one I use, I think, when I boot up. Is the Default User the hidden
    > admin acct?

    You've reinstalled Windows to the same folder. It looks like "niteowl" is
    your old account. "niteowl.ALLAING" is the new one. Same goes for the other
    accounts - the ones that do not have "dot-something" after their name are
    from a previous install. TIP: While logged on to an account you can type
    %userprofile% in the Start> Run box and Windows Explorer will open with the
    focus on that user's folders. That's one way to check which folders are in
    use if there are similar names.

    Also, Control Panel> User Accounts will show you which group each account
    belongs to.

    XP is protecting the old account for its owner. It doesn't know that
    niteowl and niteowl.ALLAING are the same person. Take ownership of the
    "niteowl" folders and you will regain access to the files they contain. Jim
    mentioned this in his reply to you.

    Hidden admin account folders: Folders are created for an account the first
    time that it is logged on to. In other words, you won't see folders for the
    hidden administrator account until then (..\Documents and
    Settings\Administrator\ and subfolders).

    To log on to that account with XP Pro:
    Press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at the Welcome screen.
    The Win2000 style logon prompt will appear.
    Type Administrator into the user name field. Leave the password field blank
    if a password was not assigned during setup.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    niteowl wrote:
    > I recently stepped up to Windows XP Pro, have have been migrating all
    > my folders and files to the the new XP machine, and I was setting it
    > up as I usually would do, which is to install the O/S to C: and
    > everything else to D: however - when I was checking the different
    > users accounts (there are 2 others - limited) I am seeing all my
    > stuff on their menus... is this because of the way I'm installing????
    >
    > Is there any way to isolate the programs I'm installing to D: to just
    > my user account or am I going to have to reinstall everything ? ;-(

    Are you referring to the programs on the Start-menu? These are shortcuts
    that are stored on one out of two different places. Take a look at
    'c:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Start Menu'. This is the location for
    the user specific start menu shortcuts. You will also notice that in the
    'Documents and Settings' folder there is a subfolder called 'All users'.
    Shortcuts in this folder will be shown to all users.

    If you also want your users to be unable to run the programs by finding the
    program files manually you will have to apply suitable security settings in
    your 'Program files' folders. You may want to read up on NTFS and file
    permissions.

    > My C: drive is only 6Gigs, as this is the way I got used to doing
    > things as a way of isolating the O/S in case of the need to reformat
    > and begin again.. My second physical drive is 120G partitioned into 3
    > logical drives.

    Two things:

    1) 6 GB is not a lot of space for Windows XP. With service pack uninstall
    files, documents, hibernation- and page files, system restore points etc
    this is likely to fill up rather quickly. Even if you put your programs on
    another partition.

    2) I would assume that your 6 GB drive is quite a lot slower than your 120
    GB drive. If this is the case I would recommend installing XP on the 120 GB
    drive. Personally I would probably even remove the 6 GB drive. Your computer
    would be more silent, and you lose less than 5% of your total storage
    capacity.
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Thanks, I'm seeing that 6G isn't nearly enough.. ;-)

    I'll put in a bigger drive, I have a 60G I can use.. the 120G is
    only a 5400rpm drive, but the 60G is a 7200rpm drive, so that's what
    I'll use for my boot drive and second partition.

    Thanks for the info,
    niteowl

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:57:48 +0100, "André Gulliksen"
    <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote:

    >niteowl wrote:
    >> I recently stepped up to Windows XP Pro, have have been migrating all
    >> my folders and files to the the new XP machine, and I was setting it
    >> up as I usually would do, which is to install the O/S to C: and
    >> everything else to D: however - when I was checking the different
    >> users accounts (there are 2 others - limited) I am seeing all my
    >> stuff on their menus... is this because of the way I'm installing????
    >>
    >> Is there any way to isolate the programs I'm installing to D: to just
    >> my user account or am I going to have to reinstall everything ? ;-(
    >
    >Are you referring to the programs on the Start-menu? These are shortcuts
    >that are stored on one out of two different places. Take a look at
    >'c:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Start Menu'. This is the location for
    >the user specific start menu shortcuts. You will also notice that in the
    >'Documents and Settings' folder there is a subfolder called 'All users'.
    >Shortcuts in this folder will be shown to all users.
    >
    >If you also want your users to be unable to run the programs by finding the
    >program files manually you will have to apply suitable security settings in
    >your 'Program files' folders. You may want to read up on NTFS and file
    >permissions.
    >
    >> My C: drive is only 6Gigs, as this is the way I got used to doing
    >> things as a way of isolating the O/S in case of the need to reformat
    >> and begin again.. My second physical drive is 120G partitioned into 3
    >> logical drives.
    >
    >Two things:
    >
    >1) 6 GB is not a lot of space for Windows XP. With service pack uninstall
    >files, documents, hibernation- and page files, system restore points etc
    >this is likely to fill up rather quickly. Even if you put your programs on
    >another partition.
    >
    >2) I would assume that your 6 GB drive is quite a lot slower than your 120
    >GB drive. If this is the case I would recommend installing XP on the 120 GB
    >drive. Personally I would probably even remove the 6 GB drive. Your computer
    >would be more silent, and you lose less than 5% of your total storage
    >capacity.

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I don't recall installing windows more than just the once...

    I did go and take ownership back, but it doesn't seem to have done
    anything, except now I can open that folder...
    so how do I get rid of the extra entries??

    Regarding user accounts, I went to Control Panel/Users and it shows 4
    accts. Niteowl, Kalehli, Maurine and Guest (turned off) so there
    doesn't appear to be any "extra" accts there..

    When I did the Ctrl Alt Del twice, the signin window came up with the
    niteowl name listed... which is how I set it up now that I think
    about it.. I did try entering "Administrator" but it didn't work,
    either with or without a password, so I guess I'm signing in AS the
    system administrator all the time. From Jim's posts, I think this is
    not what I should be doing... ??? thoughts?

    thanks,
    niteowl

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:17:41 -0600, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 13:43:01 -0500, niteowl wrote:
    >
    >> The "niteowl" (without the +) folder I can't access, gives me an error
    >> message, saying it is "not accessible, Access is denied" Why?
    >>
    >> It appears to me that Kalehli and Maurine are the limited account's
    >> folders, the "Niteowl.ALLAING" is the administrative account, and the
    >> one I use, I think, when I boot up. Is the Default User the hidden
    >> admin acct?
    >
    >You've reinstalled Windows to the same folder. It looks like "niteowl" is
    >your old account. "niteowl.ALLAING" is the new one. Same goes for the other
    >accounts - the ones that do not have "dot-something" after their name are
    >from a previous install. TIP: While logged on to an account you can type
    >%userprofile% in the Start> Run box and Windows Explorer will open with the
    >focus on that user's folders. That's one way to check which folders are in
    >use if there are similar names.
    >
    >Also, Control Panel> User Accounts will show you which group each account
    >belongs to.
    >
    >XP is protecting the old account for its owner. It doesn't know that
    >niteowl and niteowl.ALLAING are the same person. Take ownership of the
    >"niteowl" folders and you will regain access to the files they contain. Jim
    >mentioned this in his reply to you.
    >
    >Hidden admin account folders: Folders are created for an account the first
    >time that it is logged on to. In other words, you won't see folders for the
    >hidden administrator account until then (..\Documents and
    >Settings\Administrator\ and subfolders).
    >
    >To log on to that account with XP Pro:
    >Press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at the Welcome screen.
    >The Win2000 style logon prompt will appear.
    >Type Administrator into the user name field. Leave the password field blank
    >if a password was not assigned during setup.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 18:50:07 -0500, niteowl wrote:

    > I don't recall installing windows more than just the once...

    It's the only explanation that I know of for the naming convention
    (accounts with the .xxxx trail in name) but there may be others.

    > I did go and take ownership back, but it doesn't seem to have done
    > anything, except now I can open that folder...
    > so how do I get rid of the extra entries??

    That's all that should happen. You can now grab any data files you want
    from those folders and copy them over to your folders. When that's done you
    could delete the unused accounts. If they're not showing in Control Panel>
    User Accounts, check also in: System Properties> Advanced> User Profiles or
    in Administrative Tools> Computer Management> Local Users and Groups and
    delete them there.

    > When I did the Ctrl Alt Del twice, the signin window came up with the
    > niteowl name listed... which is how I set it up now that I think
    > about it.. I did try entering "Administrator" but it didn't work,
    > either with or without a password, so I guess I'm signing in AS the
    > system administrator all the time. From Jim's posts, I think this is
    > not what I should be doing... ??? thoughts?

    That's odd. XP setup always creates a default administrator account with
    the name "Administrator." It can be renamed later. Is this what you did?

    Some OEM setups alter the initial accounts - adding an "Owner" account or
    similar but you have upgraded from Win98 so any deviations from defaults
    added by OEMs would not apply. No further thoughts at the moment.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    took me a minute to find it but I finally figured it out..

    ;-)

    thanks,
    niteowl

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:29:30 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >Right click on the desktop, select properties. The select
    >Desktop and then Customize Desktop. Should be obvious.
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:36:24 -0600, "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP"
    <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote:

    >That won't create any needed Registry entries for that user.

    okay, got it...
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    > On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 13:43:01 -0500, niteowl wrote:
    >
    >> The "niteowl" (without the +) folder I can't access, gives me
    >> an error
    >> message, saying it is "not accessible, Access is denied" Why?
    >>
    >> It appears to me that Kalehli and Maurine are the limited
    >> account's
    >> folders, the "Niteowl.ALLAING" is the administrative account,
    >> and the
    >> one I use, I think, when I boot up. Is the Default User the
    >> hidden
    >> admin acct?
    >
    > You've reinstalled Windows to the same folder. It looks like
    > "niteowl" is
    > your old account. "niteowl.ALLAING" is the new one. Same goes
    > for the other
    > accounts - the ones that do not have "dot-something" after
    > their name are
    > from a previous install. TIP: While logged on to an account you
    > can type
    > %userprofile% in the Start> Run box and Windows Explorer will
    > open with the
    > focus on that user's folders. That's one way to check which
    > folders are in
    > use if there are similar names.
    >
    > Also, Control Panel> User Accounts will show you which group
    > each account
    > belongs to.
    >
    > XP is protecting the old account for its owner. It doesn't know
    > that
    > niteowl and niteowl.ALLAING are the same person. Take ownership
    > of the
    > "niteowl" folders and you will regain access to the files they
    > contain. Jim
    > mentioned this in his reply to you.
    >
    > Hidden admin account folders: Folders are created for an
    > account the first
    > time that it is logged on to. In other words, you won't see
    > folders for the
    > hidden administrator account until then (..\Documents and
    > Settings\Administrator\ and subfolders).
    >
    > To log on to that account with XP Pro:
    > Press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at the Welcome screen.
    > The Win2000 style logon prompt will appear.
    > Type Administrator into the user name field. Leave the password
    > field blank
    > if a password was not assigned during setup.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    I may be wrong but seeing accounts such as niteowl.ALLAING
    indicates that at some time this machine was joined to a domain.
    If a local account named niteowl was used to join the domain it
    would lead to the creation of the niteowl.ALLAING account. It
    looks like now he's back to a workgroup or he's just logging on
    locally.

    Nepatsfan
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 18:38:53 -0600, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 18:50:07 -0500, niteowl wrote:
    >
    >> I don't recall installing windows more than just the once...
    >
    >It's the only explanation that I know of for the naming convention
    >(accounts with the .xxxx trail in name) but there may be others.
    >
    >> I did go and take ownership back, but it doesn't seem to have done
    >> anything, except now I can open that folder...
    >> so how do I get rid of the extra entries??
    >
    >That's all that should happen. You can now grab any data files you want
    >from those folders and copy them over to your folders. When that's done you
    >could delete the unused accounts. If they're not showing in Control Panel>
    >User Accounts, check also in: System Properties> Advanced> User Profiles or
    >in Administrative Tools> Computer Management> Local Users and Groups and
    >delete them there.

    ok, went to System Properties/Advanced, but only the 3 user accts were
    showing there. however when I went into Administrative Tools/Computer
    Management/Local Users, it's showing the "hidden" Administrator acct,
    the Guest acct, the Niteowl, Kalehli, and Maurine accts. along with
    Help Assistant and Support_388945a0 accts.

    I clicked on Administrator and clicked Properties, there was no "Full
    Name" listed, so I typed "Administrator", I almost tried to reset the
    password but got a warning about losing data, so decided not to yet..

    so it looks as though the account is there, why isn't it showing up
    when I do the double Ctrl_Alt_Del ????

    >> When I did the Ctrl Alt Del twice, the signin window came up with the
    >> niteowl name listed... which is how I set it up now that I think
    >> about it.. I did try entering "Administrator" but it didn't work,
    >> either with or without a password, so I guess I'm signing in AS the
    >> system administrator all the time. From Jim's posts, I think this is
    >> not what I should be doing... ??? thoughts?
    >
    >That's odd. XP setup always creates a default administrator account with
    >the name "Administrator." It can be renamed later. Is this what you did?

    It seems like I named it during setup... the window came up with the
    "Administrator" listed and a place to add a password, so I typed in
    "niteowl" and put in my password, then continued with the setup.
    btw, this was a clean install. not an OEM.

    the name of my computer is ALLAING, so the idea of the network setup
    thing might be the reason for that, cause I think I tried to setup the
    domain thing first, then went back and changed it to Workgroup. It
    had MSHOME in the field, and I just typed in WORKGROUP. I don't
    understand about that, I've always just done the win98 stuff as
    WORKGROUP.

    >Some OEM setups alter the initial accounts - adding an "Owner" account or
    >similar but you have upgraded from Win98 so any deviations from defaults
    >added by OEMs would not apply. No further thoughts at the moment.

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:38:08 -0500, "Nepatsfan"
    <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote:

    >"Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 13:43:01 -0500, niteowl wrote:
    >>
    >>> The "niteowl" (without the +) folder I can't access, gives me
    >>> an error
    >>> message, saying it is "not accessible, Access is denied" Why?
    >>>
    >>> It appears to me that Kalehli and Maurine are the limited
    >>> account's
    >>> folders, the "Niteowl.ALLAING" is the administrative account,
    >>> and the
    >>> one I use, I think, when I boot up. Is the Default User the
    >>> hidden
    >>> admin acct?
    >>
    >> You've reinstalled Windows to the same folder. It looks like
    >> "niteowl" is
    >> your old account. "niteowl.ALLAING" is the new one. Same goes
    >> for the other
    >> accounts - the ones that do not have "dot-something" after
    >> their name are
    >> from a previous install. TIP: While logged on to an account you
    >> can type
    >> %userprofile% in the Start> Run box and Windows Explorer will
    >> open with the
    >> focus on that user's folders. That's one way to check which
    >> folders are in
    >> use if there are similar names.
    >>
    >> Also, Control Panel> User Accounts will show you which group
    >> each account
    >> belongs to.
    >>
    >> XP is protecting the old account for its owner. It doesn't know
    >> that
    >> niteowl and niteowl.ALLAING are the same person. Take ownership
    >> of the
    >> "niteowl" folders and you will regain access to the files they
    >> contain. Jim
    >> mentioned this in his reply to you.
    >>
    >> Hidden admin account folders: Folders are created for an
    >> account the first
    >> time that it is logged on to. In other words, you won't see
    >> folders for the
    >> hidden administrator account until then (..\Documents and
    >> Settings\Administrator\ and subfolders).
    >>
    >> To log on to that account with XP Pro:
    >> Press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at the Welcome screen.
    >> The Win2000 style logon prompt will appear.
    >> Type Administrator into the user name field. Leave the password
    >> field blank
    >> if a password was not assigned during setup.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Sharon F
    >> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
    >
    >I may be wrong but seeing accounts such as niteowl.ALLAING
    >indicates that at some time this machine was joined to a domain.
    >If a local account named niteowl was used to join the domain it
    >would lead to the creation of the niteowl.ALLAING account. It
    >looks like now he's back to a workgroup or he's just logging on
    >locally.
    >
    >Nepatsfan

    So, can those .xxxxx folders be deleted after copying the contents to
    the "original" folders??

    or should I just leave them alone?

    thanks,
    niteowl
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    If I had a computer with some many questions and problems
    about confused file structure, accounts and such, I would
    copy the files that I wanted to save (letters, email,
    photos, etc, to a CD). Then I would get pencil and paper
    and plan what I wanted as far as accounts, partitions and
    structure and do a clean install.

    Your basic problem is that you did not plan for your
    upgrade, you did not study and you did not bother. You now
    want somebody to FIX your problem by remote control, even
    when you don't understand what you want, need or what you're
    being told.

    Draw out a flow diagram with boxes and arrows: Who must use
    the computer, do they get access to all programs, who will
    have admin rights, who needs to do what. What kind, size
    and types of files, how will they be saved and backed-up (if
    backup is needed). When you have a good plan, Format and do
    it.

    --
    message news:7kcbs0d6f11f04rqkk06io0pgi91ktbvd1@4ax.com...
> [...]
    | >> Type Administrator into the user name field. Leave the
    password
    | >> field blank
    | >> if a password was not assigned during setup.
    | >>
    | >> --
    | >> Sharon F
    | >> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
    | >
    | >I may be wrong but seeing accounts such as
    niteowl.ALLAING
    | >indicates that at some time this machine was joined to a
    domain.
    | >If a local account named niteowl was used to join the
    domain it
    | >would lead to the creation of the niteowl.ALLAING
    account. It
    | >looks like now he's back to a workgroup or he's just
    logging on
    | >locally.
    | >
    | >Nepatsfan
    | >

    | So, can those .xxxxx folders be deleted after copying the

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Thanks for all your help

    niteowl

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:01:57 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >If I had a computer with some many questions and problems
    >about confused file structure, accounts and such, I would
    >copy the files that I wanted to save (letters, email,
    >photos, etc, to a CD). Then I would get pencil and paper
    >and plan what I wanted as far as accounts, partitions and
    >structure and do a clean install.
    >
    >Your basic problem is that you did not plan for your
    >upgrade, you did not study and you did not bother. You now
    >want somebody to FIX your problem by remote control, even
    >when you don't understand what you want, need or what you're
    >being told.
    >
    >Draw out a flow diagram with boxes and arrows: Who must use
    >the computer, do they get access to all programs, who will
    >have admin rights, who needs to do what. What kind, size
    >and types of files, how will they be saved and backed-up (if
    >backup is needed). When you have a good plan, Format and do
    >it.

Microsoft Windows XP