Sign in with
Your question

Do people think the 8800 GTS will go down any by Dec 1st?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 8, 2006 10:53:36 PM

Hello all,

I've decided the 8800 GTS is for me but am wondering if it's best to just pull the trigger now or wait till Dec 1st to see if it drops in price a bit even a $50.00 off would help with tax and shipping.

-ES
November 8, 2006 10:59:52 PM

Honestly, no one knows how much the 8800's will drop in the next month. The more they drop, the better. A lot of people here certainly dont want to shell out 500-650 bucks for one of those.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2006 11:00:09 PM

MSRP is 450$, they go for 499, without a magic 8 ball, I can't really say, if the supply is good enough and demand is not crazy, might come down to the MSRP.

Also all of the actual card are the exact same we should see a little different cooler an such follow, I dont know if they will in less then 3 weeks.
Related resources
November 8, 2006 11:29:59 PM

Well I checked my magic 8-Ball but it only gave me a maybe, pfft I gave up my first born son for this heap of junk? :roll:

But seriously I would expect it to come down a bit closer to the MSRP but don't get your hopes to high, maybe around 470, hard to say though.
November 9, 2006 12:13:23 AM

Without something from ATI to counter it by the holidays, I really doubt you'll see any meaningful price drop. The price may even go up if the supply is low. I mean, that's one of the reasons they are releasing it now...just in time for the shopping season.
November 9, 2006 4:18:35 AM

Any idea when ATI will realease their competition to the 8 series?

-es
November 9, 2006 4:32:54 AM

July 07. :roll:
November 9, 2006 5:24:25 AM

Quote:
July 07. :roll:

1st Qtr 07' ...most likely January...they just left a little headroom so that peeps don't get dissapointed if there is the slightest delay.

As far as the price dropping.....I highly doubt it.
November 9, 2006 3:20:20 PM

That sucks I need to buy the vid card by Dec 31st for tax reasons so I can't wait to Jan 07 as I prefer to do. I get this gut feeling ati may surprise everyone including nvidia ;) 

-ES
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2006 3:32:33 PM

The 8800 seem to be extremely good card with a really good architecture. I don't think we will live the Geforce 5800 FX vs 9700pro! Maybe ATi will be slightly faster or they will trade blows in different game more like X1800/x1900 vs 7800/7900 IMO.

If thats the case, the 8800GTS wont be a bad purchase. Could be wrong, ATI could pull something incredible, or could fall short who knows!
November 9, 2006 3:47:06 PM

Yes I know. But seeing as it's stated in just about every thread on the first few pages of this forum I thought someone might take the initiative to look themselves.
November 9, 2006 5:30:15 PM

Once the initial rush of excitement subsides and retailers start competing a bit for the business the e-tailer prices should edge down. Nothing massive though.

PS: In the past week I've seen the 150GB Raptors drop $50, RAM drop across the board, the ATI TV Wonder 650 drop about $5, an Enermax PSU drop about $30, Plextor's SATA drives drop $30. YMMV...
November 9, 2006 7:14:37 PM

LOL then there is hope! This will go down in history as the most expensive vid cqard I ever purchased

-ES
November 9, 2006 7:25:47 PM

Ok if i refrain from visiting the local red light a couple of times a week i could easily afford this
November 9, 2006 7:28:07 PM

Quote:
This will go down in history as the most expensive vid cqard I ever purchased

Yeah, you 'n me both.

Actually, maybe not. Figuring in inflation especially, I think I paid considerably more for an AST Expanded Memory card with a whopping 2MB of RAM, 20+ years ago. I fondly remember carefully seating all those 16-pin ICs. And the more sophisticated high-speed internal modems were pretty expensive too.

It's interesting to know that my proposed / anticipated system build dropped around US$250 in total cost in just seven days, though...

-Brad
November 9, 2006 7:35:00 PM

i guess im just gonna state the obvious... as its the first thing that occured to me after reading the title... ...i seriously doubt much of a price drop 'per se' will happen in the next 2-3 weeks... but, depending on the seller, you may find some really good deals... seeing as how this is a brand new gpu, i wouldnt expect too much price difference between sellers though... they do have to make it more attractive somehow than competitors products, if they want to sell [/obvious statement]
November 9, 2006 7:43:20 PM

Like someone here mentionned ... until ATI can counter with a similar/better performing DX10 card, I doubt you'll see any decline in price. All this can do is drive the current high-end ATI (and Nvidia, but those were getting cheaper anyway) prices down.

Right now, from a simple newegg search places 1950xtx in the 420-450$ range while the 8800 GTS is around 500$. Judging from the benchmarks, the 8800GTS outperforms the ATI card slightly in most DX9 benchmarks ... not even taking into account the DX10 support (it's main selling point). Wouldn't make much sense for NVIDIA to lose out on some hefty profits unless ATI decided to cut prices, considering that both cards are *roughly* in the same performance range for current games.

So all in all : I wouldn't lose any sleep over it :)  Just pick out a card that gives you satisfactory frame rates now and upgrade when you feel the need for it. Or dish out the big bucks for the 8800 now and put your anxiety to rest :) 

Cheers :) 
November 9, 2006 9:25:12 PM

Thanks yeah your right either way I need to purchase by Dec 31st so I guess what pice it is then is the price I'll pay cheers all

-ES
!