Suggestions on water cooling system?

Swany420

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
i am building a new system and i am going to either get a heatsink and fan for my cpu or i am going to get watercooling... i am clueless when it comes to watercooling so i need to know what are some good water cooling products.... and i am worried if i get water cooling it will leak all over my computer and fry it... thats why i am hesitatiing on gettin water cooling... and also should you have fans in your pc case also if you have water cooling?

wimcle

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
I will tell you why I went from water back to air.

Its a lot less cluttered/complex, its just as quiet, and its probably more reliable, and high end heatpipe coolers cool as good as low-end water and are cheaper. No chance of leaking :)

Probably will need a case fan, and/or a fan to blow on the motherboard chipset/vrm... and the 120mm that would go on the cpu heatsink is now on your radiator so you aren't saving on fan noise.

alfack

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
My water setup is darn quiet. Make your own for less money. They are not overly comlplex. Just radiator, fan, water pump, water blocks and hose. I used the 1/2 inch hose that is reinforced with strings running through it (so it won't kink) and screw type hose clamps. I also made my own reservoir out of PVC pipe. It is all mounted internally. Have never had a leak yet, over three years.

Mondoman

Splendid
Even if you have water coolers for the CPU, northbridge, GPU, maybe southbridge, etc, you still need fans inside the case for the other components.
Since you don't have any experience with water cooling, start with the OEM CPU heatsink/fan, since you'll know it will work (and it's free in the CPU retail box). Get a feel for temps of your various components, during idle and under load, and the noises of the various fans. Then, figure out what, if anything bothers you. Maybe the CPU hsf doesn't bother you, but the PS fan is driving you crazy. You may be much happier with a fancy PS than a water cooler, but you won't know until you listen to the air-cooled stuff first.