Which is harder on a MB when OC'ing: FSB or CPU speed?

fatchicken

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
For example lets say you OC the bus speed to 400 Mhz from 266 on two different systems: one with an E6300 and one with an E6400.

The E6300 will run at 2.8GHz and the E6400 at 3.2GHz.

but is the wear and tear on the mobo the same because the bus speed is 400 MHz for both?

Another way of asking this is: For the same CPU speed, is the mobo working harder for the E6300 than the E6400 because the bus speed is higher?

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
It's the same. The FSB is the same in both cases but the potential to overclock the 6400 farther is greater, although there are always exceptions. Both chips will be limited to the max stable FSB the mobo has/can offer, but since the 6400 has a higher multiplier than the 6400 will reach a higher clock per fsb incremental increase. Just curious, why is this information useful?

G

It depends of the motherboard, some motherboard can take it really easy(400mhz) and some other its the extreme. With intel platform, the main stress is on the northbridge...

The e6300 and e6400 are both extremly OCable chips, with proper cooling, you wont hurt them!
CPU: no over volting/cool temps = really happy =)

fatchicken

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Just curious, why is this information useful?

Well my understanding was that OCing reduces the life expetancy of the components. If that was related to the bus speed, then you could justify getting a higher end CPU (i.e. more multis) to put less strain on the mobo or get a more robust mobo.

Also I am trying to figure out whether the Gigabyte S3 will last long enough under an OC environment, or whether I should get the DS3? Just trying to keep the cost down as it seems that for every component there is a good reason to get the next better model - eg. PSU , RAM, case, etc.