680i Onboard v XFi

Dertman

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
Now that the specs are out for the 680i, does the onboard audio remotely stand up to a dedicated sound card. Or is the gap close enough to save $100+ and put it towards something else. Mostly just games and casual music listening.

halcyon

Splendid
One way to answer that question is to see if they published any audio specs for the audio solution on the mobo.

Given that the lowest cost X-Fi solution is still >$60 I'd be skeptical that an onboard solution is going to give you close to 109db S/N with .004 THD etc. that is found in even the cheapest X-Fi Xtreme Audio. In other words I doubt there's a >=$60 audio solution built onto the mobo, if so it'll probably be highly marketed.

If you're connecting to your speakers/receiver via S/PDIF optical or coax you'll be largely isolated from any RFI and noise in the mobo's audio making the onboard audio a more attractive solution.

Listen to the onboard sound, if it sounds good or acceptable to you save your $$ for a while. If it sounds flat and lacking and you just can't enjoy it than I'd think at least an Xtreme Audio or Xtreme Gamer might be justified or even some other mid-priced dedicated card. ...those few framerates you get with a Creative card may not be too meaningful with the class of CPU you're dealing with.

cdonato

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
If you're looking for better sound quality & to offload the sound processing to save cpu for a game itself then a dedicated sound card is the way to go.

Dertman

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
But how about the hybrid solution that a number of 680i boards are implementing (Asus, Abit, etc.). "The SupremeFX audio card, with 24bit/192kHz sampling in all surround channels, provides high-quality audio whether it’s through headphones or 7.1 surround sound speakers." Basically, it looks like a low-end soundcard that ships with the mobo.

halcyon

Splendid
I think those cards are a step in a better direction and better than the old ALC880 and SoundMax junk but I don't think they're an M-Audio 2496 or a Montego DDL in quality. Do they provide any specs for them that they're not embarrassed to publish?

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I've been wondering about this too, but for me... the deciding factor is whether I'm going to have enough PCI-slots... sad I know... damn dual-slot GPU cards. =P

TRENDING THREADS