How to overclock 8800 series cards??

escrotumus

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Who has figured out how to enable performance sliders in these drivers? Also it keeps telling me i need ntune to view my temperature?? Ntune only installs on nvidia chipset motherboards...Am i missing something or are we just out of luck to check our temp settings and o/c these cards unless we are running a nvidia motherboard?

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Who has figured out how to enable performance sliders in these drivers? Also it keeps telling me i need ntune to view my temperature?? Ntune only installs on nvidia chipset motherboards...Am i missing something or are we just out of luck to check our temp settings and o/c these cards unless we are running a nvidia motherboard?

use riva tuner for overclocking. wait a couple days for someone to figure out the temp thing if you cant find an official method. people always make utilities like that. you can try things like PC wizard and such if you wish.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
You should be able to overclock the graphics card regardless of the motherboard you are using. As far as I know you can do it with the software Nvidia Ntune. I have done it with my Gateway sporting 7800GT. But then again 8800GTX/GTS is a new card so I assumed it's using different software somehow. What motherboard are you using?

As for my system right now, 7800GTX SLi I can overclock it using the registry mod or the Ntune and even RivaTuner.

Can you show me what's the 8800 control panel looks like?

escrotumus

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
When i try to install ntune on my machine it says that it only work on nforce based motherboards. Coolbits also does not work. I am not at home to paste a pic of the control panel now, but it's completely redone compared to what my 7900gt had. I'm using the forceware 96.94 drivers. Haven't tried rivatuner yet. I have been reading articles that say that nvidia has 'outlawed' overclocking of these cards but am not sure if that means that only the manufacturers can't offer overclocked cards for the consumer out of the box or if that means that overclocking utilities that worked with previous generations of cards won't work now on the 8800 series?

Now why they would lock out the temperature monitor is a mystery?? That's a pretty important function to have in the driver. The card rocks though and its visuals are amazing compared to my 7900gt. What's weird about it is that my 3dmark05 score only jumped by 9% but my games are so much smoother and faster with little to no hit at all with high levels of AA and AF. Amazing upgrade.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Well there are many reasons why they would lock out the overclocking and temperature display feature in this card. It seems for now the driver is only there for it to work on current games. Don't worry about, I'm sure they'll come up with another software or someone will know how to overclock this card. As for the temperature, I don't see why it's lock or not present.

Did you try to contact costumer support?

escrotumus

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
No, I'm not really a big customer support guy unless it blatantly doesn't work and then I'll just take it back. It's easier to troll the forums than deal with a support peon reading a script ;)

The temp monitor is locked out though, at least on this version of the driver.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Damn 8800 cards, I think the card is very hot. Maybe 60c-70c idle that's why they don't have the temperature display. That's what I think, since some offers water cooled edition for this gpu. You know can use a thermometer, :lol: like the ones your mom would use to cook turkey. I have the laser thermometer and is originally for food but I bought it 2 months ago for my pc. It's a pretty handy tools to measure all the components inside my pc. You can buy them temp sensors in Newegg.

escrotumus

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Neo, yeah that's what this topic is about. I picked it up at microcenter otw home from work yesterday. Well i may be picking up a 680i motherboard for my kentsfield when i upgrade, so ntune should work at that point...

G

He is right(obviously he has the card :) ), you need to use nTune to overclock. Yet nTune is only available on the nForce chipset. I think they will release a stand-alone for video card only.

ATI tool seem to be a good way to go

XtremSys thread

look into the coolbit registry hack too!

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
You can try NiBiTor, but if you screw stuff up, you have a useless card. Also, in the next week or so, people will figure out how to OC the new cards.

escrotumus

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Thanks labby, ill be sure to try that out. BTW, I tried coolbits and there is not even a legacy control panel on my driver any more to even get to the option to make changes. All changes on this driver are done through the new 'enhanced' nvidia control panel which requires ntune to make any performance adjustments. I can make AA, AF, etc type changes but that's it. I'm really liking what I read about the 680i motherboards so I will most likely go that route instead of what I was going to buy. This won't be an issue if I buy the 680i as ntune will work natively then. :)

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
680i does look pretty solid. Which board do you currently have? I am fairly sure in a few days there will be a way to over clock figured out and circulating the internet.

escrotumus

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I'm still on my old 3.6 system now. My intel rep says he is going to be able to score me a kentsfield next week from his distributor and i was going to buy the new badaxe2 board for it but i think now i am going to go with the 680i instead. Should be a pretty solid box if he can come through for me with that chip. If not then I will get an e6600 and wait until core quad isn't such a hot item.

escrotumus

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
FYI: None of these tools worked. They can't do anything with the card. I read an article by some finnish guys that were overclocking their 8800gtx on a badaxe2 board but they didn't say how they did it. The article was bare bones at best and full of glaring omissions :(