How to I access date on floppy using XP, which I rcorded on Packard Bell
machine, with windows 95 and compressed with drive space?

To resolve this problem, restore the data from the tape or file
by using Msbackup on a computer that is running Windows 95,
Windows 98, or Windows Me.

Cannot Restore Backups That You Create in Windows 95,
Windows 98, or Windows Me with the Windows XP Ntbackup Tool
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305381

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"RICHARD POWIS" wrote:

| How to I access date on floppy using XP, which I rcorded on Packard Bell
| machine, with windows 95 and compressed with drive space?

Surely if it was created using MSBACKUP 95, then it would have to be
recovered in Win 95 as none of the Msbackup versions were backward
compatible?..

> To resolve this problem, restore the data from the tape or file
> by using Msbackup on a computer that is running Windows 95,
> Windows 98, or Windows Me.
>
> Cannot Restore Backups That You Create in Windows 95,
> Windows 98, or Windows Me with the Windows XP Ntbackup Tool
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305381
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "RICHARD POWIS" wrote:
>
> | How to I access date on floppy using XP, which I rcorded on Packard
> Bell
> | machine, with windows 95 and compressed with drive space?

You don't.

Place the floppy in a computer running Windows 95. Then copy the files to a
folder on the Win95 computer. Then zip the files to another floppy/floppies.

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

If you knew half as much as you think you know,
You'd realize you didn't know what you thought you knew!

"RICHARD POWIS" <RICHARD POWIS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How to I access date on floppy using XP, which I rcorded on Packard
> Bell
> machine, with windows 95 and compressed with drive space?

Come on Carey. You have been spouting this drivel for over two years now!

Again! Msbackup has NOTHING to do with Drive Space!! They are two totally
different compression schemes.One creates a compressed drive which must be
mounted and un-mounted to access the files on the drive. The other just
compresses files and creates a larger compressed file containing many
smaller files.

A Drive Space enabled floppy can only be read on a computer that has Drive
Space installed and operational. Not all Win95/98 computers have this
service functional as many deemed it to be a hassle to use and dangerous to
their files! Therefore they either did not install it or chose to remove the
functionality!

--

"RICHARD POWIS" wrote:

> How to I access date on floppy using XP, which I rcorded on Packard Bell
> machine, with windows 95 and compressed with drive space?

I have read all the replies. Thanks! I still have the old comuter, but the
hard drive is on its way out. Is there anywhere I can obtain a copy of Drive
Space which will run on my new machine? Could Drive Space be made to work
on XP? Can I put a version on Win 95 on my present system without losing XP
and without losing access to all current functions?

Thanks
Richard Powis

Absolutely no way will DriveSpace work in XP.. use what life is left in the
old system to extract the info..