Sign in with
Your question

i need some help with my pc im thinking its video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 9, 2006 3:16:01 AM

I have been playing battlefield 2142 for the past week and half flawlessly.
but then out of the blue i cant last a few minutes in "any" game without either hard rebooting or being sent to desktop.

Event Type: Error
Event Source:
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 11/8/2006
Time: 8:57:48 PM
User: N/A

Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 7.

this is the error ive been getting. I got this from event viewer - applications.
Im not sure if thats a drivers problem or what, so im asking you guys to see if theres any solutions. i was about to reformat but decided to come here before that.
my pc specs are
amd-fx62, m2n32 sli, 2 gigs corsair xms2 ram, 2 caviar 150g raid-0 setup
and a 7950 gx2 video card. thanks for your help and suggestions in advance.

More about : thinking video card

November 9, 2006 3:37:24 AM

There's a magical program I end up using about once a year: Darik's Boot and Nuke. You might want to listen to some others first though, this is usually kinda drastic.

Another thing you could do to be safe is run something like Memtest86 in case it's your RAM acting up.
November 9, 2006 3:53:36 AM

try reinstalling the driver.
Related resources
November 9, 2006 4:27:38 AM

wish i knew what driver i need to re-install =)

fox_aquatis i ran memtest86 and got no errors, not sure if i was supposed to leave it longer, i only did 2 passes. but no errors.
November 9, 2006 7:56:59 PM

What are your power supply specs?
November 9, 2006 8:41:14 PM

ernemax 600watts sli ready
November 9, 2006 9:02:57 PM

Hmm, I'm out of ideas for the moment. The only thing I can think of is a reformat+reinstall at this point. Whatever you do keep me updated, I want to see how this turns out.
November 9, 2006 9:36:59 PM

Okay here is my thouights I had the same problem, I had a 500 watt power supply at the time that seemed to be working fine, but it turned out to be the power supply that was at fault, however It could also be your ram or your videocard over heating, also try re-installing your videocard drivers, does it do the same thing during windows, if not then try removing Direct X and reinstalling it, the LAST thing you dhould have to do is nuke and reinstall windows
November 9, 2006 10:05:00 PM

yeah man get some temps b4 you start slasking your box into pieces, i used to be just like you, i had a HD "bonita", well one day i was haveing psu probs and couldnt understand, so i formated+reinstalled.. till "bonita" aged to "bontia24" lol all in about 3 days..... but now im A+ and Net+ certified and i know now that formating isnt always the answer!

get some temps, cpu, chipset video, and touch temp of the ram.. cpu shouldnt be anymore than 60C, video upto 70C @ load!, ram should be about 40C (not too warm to the touch) chipeset varies, but i find 30-50C is nominal.

also check your psu, is IT hot? does it smell like burned silicon? if you dont know what that smells like, you will... if it is of course..

BE SURE TO CHECK CPU TEMPS@LOAD AND TEMPS@IDLE, you could have a screw loose on your HSF and a cock-eyed HSF(not flush)... which would make idles fine, but when the WHOLE core is used temps coul skyrocket to 90-100C, but hopefully by the time it hits 75C your comps downthrottleing(hopefully) and shutting down.

could be anything man, but it looks like hardware... and if it isnt its something you installed, and do you have any idea how hard it is to test EVERYTHING you reinstall...? days-weeks depending on how much time a day you have to spend with your box...

check the hrdware, then post! and i or someone will see thetemps an comment
November 10, 2006 12:23:38 AM

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3951275

i took this screenshot using asus probe 2. Not too sure how accurate it is.
My pc tho seems to be working again after i ran windows live care. It went thru my registry said it fixed some stuff supposedly and i just played like 3 hours of battlefield 2142 without crashing or anything. The temps in my pic are using stock cooling and 2 case fans inside and 1 big 1 in back to pull the hot air out. now my 7950 gx2 does hove in the 60c range , not sure if thats hot or not for that care. So far everything is good again....till next time? ;) 
November 10, 2006 1:40:24 AM

hey man i got that asus probe POS too... and i find it to be annoying, an frankly glitchy! sometime temp will read 80+ set off the alarm, wake me up, and then when i shut off the alarm, its back to 45C.. i use another proggie just picked it up today... find it to be hella more accurate then that damned asus shit, and you can control your fans and other kewl stuff with it!

www.betamarkers.com

speedfan 4.31

;)  try that out, i havent found an alarm, which would be the only reason i have asus probe open, but hell i may just coe one myself to like to speefan(if it dont have it)

Hope you found use helpful ;p

oh and watch that 5v rail man... if it starts running ANY lower than that (4.95v) start shopping for a psu IMMEADIATLY! cause pc's can run on faulty power for awhile, but eventually it WILL crap your mobo and possibly processor first, then it will goto the HDs, and if you got dedicated pci-x power to your Video, thatll go b4 the HD's, just watch the voltages man, if they flucuate below 5v@ load situatiuons, then you need to start looking fast for a psu, dont think just because it works.. that its ok to run it on faulty power..IT WILL KILL YOUR BOX!!

nuff said
!