react

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
So I'm checking on the site to get a configuration for my motherboard (Intel D945PWMML) and the only "D945"configuration is for a D945GTP. How much of a difference are they? I mean (and I'm showing my novice status with proudly) can I use this configuration or will it fuck up my motherboard?

react

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
I just found a hardware monitor on the Intel website I'm going to try. We'll see whats up with that. Thanks for the help. I didn't figure there was any real damage that could happen but I had to be sure. Nothing worse than frying a motherboard.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
If you configure speedfan wrong you will just be getting miss informed. There is no danger to your motherboard or other components.

...as long as you aren't using speedfan to automatically control fan speed based on incoprrect information. While I was configuring my copy of speedfan, I accidentally shut all the fans off - including the CPU fan.

But, after some tweaking - I finally have an instance of speedfan which works correctly and spins up and down the fans in response to changes in temperature.

react

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
yea, the intel software did nothing for me. as a matter of fact i didn't like it at all. at least with speedfan you get the cpu temp in your taskbar so you can easily monitor it. with the intel software it put up this little tachometer is all. and the readings on the intel software was only about 2C above what speedfan says. so i know speedfan is 10C off so i can just mentally compensate. i guess i'll try one of the other motherboards and see whats up, i dont really need fan control (its not a super pain in the ass to get inside and adjust the control it came with) but it would be nice. i've been pushing this thing and it seems to stay around 52-58C.

thanks again for all your help guys! much appreciate it.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
when i check BIOS it reads 8-10C warmer than what speedfan or the intel software reads.

You are aware that you need to configure speedfan for your board, right? You need to define the temperature offsets before it will be accurate.

4745454b

Titan
Speed fan isn't going to be that far off. As i said before the information all comes from the same place. The margin of error will only be 1c-3c off the actual mesurments.

Thats what I thought for the longest time, but my newest motherboard has changed that. I admit that speedfan loads with a warning saying something about poor support for my motherboard. When I use it, it claims my 3.3V rail is at 2.something, and one of my temps is at -127C. When I use the software that came with my Asus motherboard, it claims my 3.3 is at 3.23, and my temps are all fine. I love speedfan, and it is very handy, but if it tells you support for your motherboard isn't good, believe it.

4745454b

Titan
This is the error message Speedfan throws when I fire it up.

"IT8712F support was improved.
Please, have a look at CONFIG / ADVANCED and read the help file about how to configure Advanced Options."

It doesn't say it doesn't support the IT8712F, just that support was improved. (again, obviously not enough.) I can't even find the help file, so I can't configure anything. Most of the reading are correct. 5V and 12V match my Asus software, as do both of the fan readings. Only the 3.3 and that one temp is off.

4745454b

Titan
Well, after seeing I was running 4.28 and support for my chip happened on 4.29, I went ahead and downloaded 4.31. Still no joy. It looks the same before I updated. (perhaps I have to reboot.) Oh well, I can still use my Asus software, and speedfan for when I need to look at my SMART data.

4745454b

Titan
I'll check again the next time I reboot this thing. Happens maybe once every month or two, although possibly/probably happen tomorrow for patch tuesday. (I hear there are some biggies in this one, like when are there not...)

react

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
yea, i downloaded a profile for one of the motherboards close to mine but i didn't notice any change. i just went to the site, entered the ticket number and reopened speedfan. is there something else i'm supposed to do?

4745454b

Titan
Don't know, I've never used a motherboard profile. They are there so you don't have to mess with all the fan settings. I've never used Speedfan to overclock or change fan speeds, I've only used it as a report tool. (to check on temps, voltages, SMART data, etc.)

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I use speedfan for fan control. It spins up and down (and even shuts off) the fans based on temperatures. It works really well, but it was difficult to configure.