How to modify the Nikon SA-21 strip film adapter to work l..

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

There is a way to modify the strip film adapter sa-21 to behave like a
sa-30 roll film adapter.

You yust need to open up the SA-21 and join two soldering points.

You can find an image of the soldering points at:

http://nikonscanner.tripod.com/SA-21_to_SA-30.gif

Be aware that opeining up the SA-21 and modifying it renders the Nikon
warranty void.

Enjoy!
9 answers Last reply
More about modify nikon strip film adapter work
  1. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Somehow the link seems not to work correctly.

    Check in your browser if the address appears correctly:
    nikonscanner.tripod.com/SA-21_to_SA-30.gif
  2. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Even if you could do this, physically, where does the long roll of film
    go?
    Wouldn't it bunch up inside the SA-21?
  3. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    The film will come out of the back of the Coolscan 4000/5000. There is
    an opening exactly for this purpose. What you don't have (and not
    really need) is the big roll to collect the film which is shipped with
    the SA-30.

    By the way, the SA-30 and SA-21 are the same thing - the only
    difference is the little bridge...
  4. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    In article <1114252591.224577.232590@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    nikonscanner <nikonscanner@hotmail.com> writes
    >There is a way to modify the strip film adapter sa-21 to behave like a
    >sa-30 roll film adapter.
    >
    >You yust need to open up the SA-21 and join two soldering points.
    >
    >You can find an image of the soldering points at:
    >
    >http://nikonscanner.tripod.com/SA-21_to_SA-30.gif
    >
    >Be aware that opeining up the SA-21 and modifying it renders the Nikon
    >warranty void.

    Interesting. However I find that the SA-30 doesn't handle 6 frame
    strips as well as the SA-21 and occasionally tries to look for
    additional frames that are not present, resulting in the strip getting
    locked inside. If this is the only difference between the two adapters,
    apart from the useless little brush on the SA-30, then it might be
    better to bring the two contacts out to a small switch, which could
    easily be stuck to the outside of the adapter, so that the user can
    switch between the two modes.

    Wish I had seen this before splashing out on the SA-30 - I expected the
    difference to be firmware rather than a simple hardware link!
    --
    Kennedy
  5. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    You might have a mechanical difficulty to bring out two wires and add a
    switch. However, this is up to your skills...
    I am not sure where the difference in behaviour comes from. It could
    be different handling of the two adapters by the Nikon firmware or the
    scanning software.

    Would be interesting to try. Maybe, I modify my SA-21 just to check it
    out...
  6. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    In article <1114364971.234549.131600@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
    nikonscanner <nikonscanner@hotmail.com> writes
    >You might have a mechanical difficulty to bring out two wires and add a
    >switch. However, this is up to your skills...

    Doesn't *look* too difficult - there is a lot of empty space around the
    circuit ant it could easily be fed through the gap underneath the film
    feed aperture, making it a "reversible" modification. ;-)

    --
    Kennedy
  7. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Im Posting von nikonscanner <nikonscanner@hotmail.com> stand:

    > There is a way to modify the strip film adapter sa-21 to behave like a
    > sa-30 roll film adapter.
    >
    > You yust need to open up the SA-21 and join two soldering points.
    >
    > You can find an image of the soldering points at:
    >
    > http://nikonscanner.tripod.com/SA-21_to_SA-30.gif

    Some weeks ago someone was asking a question about a ebay action
    offering exactly this: See "Modification of Nikon SA-21 strip film
    adapter to work like SA-30 roll adapter?"
    Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005

    On the ebay page the seller writes this works only with LS 4000 and LS
    5000 (*not* with LS 40 or LS 50) because of "technical reasons". Would
    be interesting to know whether the only reason is the missing hole in
    the back side...

    --
    Erik Krause
    Digital contrast problems: http://www.erik-krause.de/contrast

    I can view the link referenced in the opening post, but the details are
    not at all distinct. Does anyone have a better view or description?
  9. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    In article <MPG.1cd631af50bb868198a815@ID-18456.user.uni-berlin.de>,
    Erik Krause <erik.krause@gmx.de> writes

    >On the ebay page the seller writes this works only with LS 4000 and LS
    >5000 (*not* with LS 40 or LS 50) because of "technical reasons". Would
    >be interesting to know whether the only reason is the missing hole in
    >the back side...

    I am sure that this is true, because the LS 40/50 scanners will not even
    accept a genuine SA-30 adapter and scan more than a strip of 6 frames.

    Incidentally, for those who do not want to take the risk of opening
    their SA-21 up and making a permanent solder link modification, there is
    an alternative temporary fix, albeit a little less reliable.

    The two contacts of the link in question connect directly to pins 16 and
    17 of the blue rear connector on the SA-21. Looking into the rear of
    the SA-21 with the adapter the correct way up, pin 13 is on the middle
    row on the left of the connector, so just count 4 and 5 pins across and
    you get to the two pins in question. These can be shorted together
    using some very fine wire - thin enough so that the operation of the
    connector contact is not interfered with. Then hold the link wire in
    place with some adhesive tape - Scotch Magic tape works quite well for
    this.

    Before pushing the SA-21 back into the scanner, make sure that you
    pierce the adhesive tape over each contact in the connector block with a
    pin. This will prevent the corresponding pins in the scanner being
    subjected to additional pressure as the adapter is pushed home in the
    scanner.

    Now, if the "lock" on the LS-40/50 that prevents multiscanning is as
    simple as this to open, I am sure that one of the regulars on this forum
    will be more than interested. ;-)
    --
    Kennedy

Scanners Nikon Peripherals