PPC memory Allocation

February 18, 2005 2:59:50 PM

I have an HX4700 & my question is about program and memory allocation. I
have Resco explorer 2003, which is a fantastic program, and makes using your
PPC as easy as a desktop. In Resco (as in the Today screen) the Storage and
Program memory can be seen. Mine states 62.28 MB available, then I have the
slider to adjust the free allocation. Most programs I install are to the SD
card, so as to keep the main mamory free, and most files I save are to the
SD or Compact Flash for the same reason. What I would like to know is how
can I tell exactly what files are in storage or Progrem memory and how much
space they are using.

In Resco, if I click on the Windows directory, then properties, it states I
am using 100.19 % of my 62.1 MB ??? How am I using more than 100% ?

If I had some way of flagging what was using what, I might be able to free
some main memory. Does anyone know an answer.

John

More about : ppc memory allocation

Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 18, 2005 2:59:51 PM

No files are stored in Program memory. Program memory is used for running
programs. Files are stored in storage memory.

You can have more than 100% used in the Windows directory because Resco
includes the files which are in ROM as part of the directory, thus allowing
more than what can actually be stored in RAM.

To determine exactly how much program/storage memory of RAM are being used,
go to the memory applet in Control Panel.

"John" <spam@virgin.net> wrote in message
> I have an HX4700 & my question is about program and memory allocation. I
> have Resco explorer 2003, which is a fantastic program, and makes using
your
> PPC as easy as a desktop. In Resco (as in the Today screen) the Storage
and
> Program memory can be seen. Mine states 62.28 MB available, then I have
the
> slider to adjust the free allocation. Most programs I install are to the
SD
> card, so as to keep the main mamory free, and most files I save are to the
> SD or Compact Flash for the same reason. What I would like to know is how
> can I tell exactly what files are in storage or Progrem memory and how
much
> space they are using.
>
> In Resco, if I click on the Windows directory, then properties, it states
> am using 100.19 % of my 62.1 MB ??? How am I using more than 100% ?
>
> If I had some way of flagging what was using what, I might be able to free
> some main memory. Does anyone know an answer.
>
> John

February 18, 2005 6:54:15 PM

The "Memory applet" in the control panel is the same program that I referred
to from the Today screen (If "Today Panel" is checked as show on Today
screen setting menu). By clicking on either the "chip" or "Folder", then on
the "Main" tab, you can see the allocation. What I want to know is what the
allocation consists of. I know if I store documents in "My Documents" the
usage of the "Storage" increaces.

Some of my programs have to be stored in Main memory or they will not work,
but the majority work from the SD card. I would like to know what is using
the Program memory.

Hope this is a bit clearer.

Thanks.

John

"Dennis Langton" <dlangton@wctc.net> wrote in message
> No files are stored in Program memory. Program memory is used for running
> programs. Files are stored in storage memory.
>
> You can have more than 100% used in the Windows directory because Resco
> includes the files which are in ROM as part of the directory, thus
> allowing
> more than what can actually be stored in RAM.
>
> To determine exactly how much program/storage memory of RAM are being
> used,
> go to the memory applet in Control Panel.
>

> "John" <spam@virgin.net> wrote in message
>> I have an HX4700 & my question is about program and memory allocation. I
>> have Resco explorer 2003, which is a fantastic program, and makes using
> your
>> PPC as easy as a desktop. In Resco (as in the Today screen) the Storage
> and
>> Program memory can be seen. Mine states 62.28 MB available, then I have
> the
>> slider to adjust the free allocation. Most programs I install are to the
> SD
>> card, so as to keep the main mamory free, and most files I save are to
>> the
>> SD or Compact Flash for the same reason. What I would like to know is
>> how
>> can I tell exactly what files are in storage or Progrem memory and how
> much
>> space they are using.
>>
>> In Resco, if I click on the Windows directory, then properties, it states
>> am using 100.19 % of my 62.1 MB ??? How am I using more than 100% ?
>>
>> If I had some way of flagging what was using what, I might be able to
>> free
>> some main memory. Does anyone know an answer.
>>
>> John

Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 18, 2005 8:19:07 PM

J- [Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:59:50 GMT]:
> How am I using more than 100% ?

Files stored in the main memory are compressed. A
typical code file (exe, dll) you install shrinks 50%.
Already-compressed files (jpg, mp3) shrink practically
nil. So, it's easy for file size totals (expressed
in their uncompressed size) to exceed the actual memory
you think you have used for those files. It's a longer
story than that, but that's one paragraph seldom
considered, let alone understood.

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iPlay : the ultimate audio player for PPCs