(water?) Cooling for the new 8800GTX?

Seattle_chris

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
I got my 8800GTX a few hours ago and boy oh boy is it hot! It's a EVGA with the blower. Does anyone know if a standard VGA waterblock and some ram coolers would work on this bad boy, or do the ram and other chips need active cooling, and does that massive GPU need a larget Waterblock?

Are their any waterblocks being built yet that will get the job done? And yes, I have to buy a new case now. I have a Tsunami Wave case and the disk drives won't go back in. I'm thingking of just cutting a little square out of the cage though that will slide back over the card. :D

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Chris

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I think you should return it and get a water cooled edition 8800GTX. I mean you can install a regular GPU water block but then again it would not cover the other chip and it might be hot enough that is would need an active cooling for it. Like I said if you want to water cool it then return it and get the water cooled edition, it's less pain in the arse with it.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
If you're willing to wait a month or so Koolance is usually very good about coming out with GPU-specific waterblocks for new video cards. They include active memory cooling. They're not the best waterblocks, but they're much better than air cooling. Swiftech also is usually good about coming out with card-specific cooling solution. Their blocks are better tech, but so far haven't included active memory cooling (they generally come with passive heat sinks.) As these cards are brand new, expect a wait. I haven't heard if any currently available blocks can be used, but I'm sure someone will find a way. Judging by the layout of the card it may be difficult though. That GPU is BIG.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
I think you should return it and get a water cooled edition 8800GTX. I mean you can install a regular GPU water block but then again it would not cover the other chip and it might be hot enough that is would need an active cooling for it. Like I said if you want to water cool it then return it and get the water cooled edition, it's less pain in the arse with it.

This is a good option too. Of course, there's a large price premium, but I doubt it's too much more than the cost of seperate water blocks. I haven't seen reviews of any liquid cooled cards, so I can't recommend one specifically.

Seattle_chris

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
The store I got mine at (and it's the first store in the area to have 'em) didn't have the watercooled ones. Only the standard EVGA's. Anyone know how much the watercooled editions are? The aircooled was $650 (and of course I know I could have saved a LOT by waiting a month, but I've never had top of the line before. :) )

Chris

Seattle_chris

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Touching either the back of the card or the grill from under the DVI connectors from the outside, is downright painfull. Doesn't blister, but you have to make a concious choice to NOT pull your hand back.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
The water cooled is more expensive with the fancy DangerDen water block. But don't worry and just wait a bit there should be water cooling blocks for 8800 series cards soon and hopefully would not cost an arm and a leg.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Touching either the back of the card or the grill from under the DVI connectors from the outside, is downright painfull. Doesn't blister, but you have to make a concious choice to NOT pull your hand back.

Now I see why this cards don't have the temperature display on some. Hey did you try frying eggs and bacon on the card yet?

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
WOW. That SilenX is UGLY. Pretty cool though. And it's a good sign that stuff like that is already designed, should be a variety of choices on the market soon. In the meantime, get another fan blowing on that bad boy.