Twain problem

After downloading Windows XP updates, none of my programs cannot
communicate with my scanner (canon8400f).
Have reinstalled canon software and checked the Control Panel/Scanner and
Cameras/ to find the scanner is installed. The test shows scanner is working
properly. When trying to use Arcsoft Photostudio 5.5 an error message reads:
There is a twain error, maybe the device is not connected. When
reinstalling the software again a message on the sys tray says: Found new
hardware, It is installed and ready for use. Also during the install of
Page Manager (part of the cannon software) two error messages appeared. The
heading is "Severe, creatfile Failed" the other, "Severe, writelane Failed".
The program goes on to be installed. Before the update the whole system was
working perfectly. Thank you, Ron.
11 answers Last reply
More about twain problem

    "Ron Shepherd" <ron@shep5776.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > After downloading Windows XP updates, none of my programs cannot
    > communicate with my scanner (canon8400f).
    > Have reinstalled canon software and checked the Control Panel/Scanner and
    > Cameras/ to find the scanner is installed. The test shows scanner is
    > working properly. When trying to use Arcsoft Photostudio 5.5 an error
    > message reads: There is a twain error, maybe the device is not connected.
    > When reinstalling the software again a message on the sys tray says: Found
    > new hardware, It is installed and ready for use. Also during the install
    > of Page Manager (part of the cannon software) two error messages appeared.
    > The heading is "Severe, creatfile Failed" the other, "Severe, writelane
    > Failed". The program goes on to be installed. Before the update the whole
    > system was working perfectly. Thank you, Ron.

    "None cannot" means that the programs CAN communicate. I think you mean
    "Programs cannot work".

    Reinstall Arcsoft Photostudio 5.5.

    One trick in Windows XP SP2 is to open the device manager and delete the USB
    Controller and reboot. This makes the OS load the correct USB driver. You
    may also have reinstall the scanner driver.

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 changes many things in the OS, TWAIN is really
    effected.
    Get the latest download for the CanonScan 8400F.
    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid=235&modelid=10242

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    Thank you CSM1 for your reply. I have downloaded the new driver from Canon
    and executed it as per their instructions. Have deleted the USB controler
    and rebooted, (printer is connected to same controler and is working) and
    reinstalled all the canon software. The scanner is communicating with the
    computer because when I press the copy button the relative software appears
    and then an error message saying - unable to open twain source, please check
    connection -. Ron

    "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > "Ron Shepherd" <ron@shep5776.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> After downloading Windows XP updates, none of my programs cannot
    >> communicate with my scanner (canon8400f).
    >> Have reinstalled canon software and checked the Control Panel/Scanner and
    >> Cameras/ to find the scanner is installed. The test shows scanner is
    >> working properly. When trying to use Arcsoft Photostudio 5.5 an error
    >> message reads: There is a twain error, maybe the device is not connected.
    >> When reinstalling the software again a message on the sys tray says:
    >> Found new hardware, It is installed and ready for use. Also during the
    >> install of Page Manager (part of the cannon software) two error messages
    >> appeared. The heading is "Severe, creatfile Failed" the other, "Severe,
    >> writelane Failed". The program goes on to be installed. Before the update
    >> the whole system was working perfectly. Thank you, Ron.
    >>
    > "None cannot" means that the programs CAN communicate. I think you mean
    > "Programs cannot work".
    >
    > Reinstall Arcsoft Photostudio 5.5.
    >
    > One trick in Windows XP SP2 is to open the device manager and delete the
    > USB Controller and reboot. This makes the OS load the correct USB driver.
    > You may also have reinstall the scanner driver.
    >
    > Windows XP Service Pack 2 changes many things in the OS, TWAIN is really
    > effected.
    > Get the latest download for the CanonScan 8400F.
    > http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid=235&modelid=10242
    >
    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > --

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Rather than pressing the Copy button, try scanning with a Photo editor, such
    as Photoshop Elements or Irfanview.

    Free Irfanview is a good test and copy software, because it has very good
    TWAIN interface and Printer functions. It's not a bad simple photo editor
    either.

    Download the plug-ins also, Irfanview needs them to have full function.
    http://www.irfanview.com/

    If Irfanview returns a TWAIN error, then your TWAIN interface in Windows is
    messed up.

    There is a way to fix the TWAIN inface in Windows XP SP2, but it takes work
    and the original XP CD.

    Microsoft KBs.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q300944/
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q300462/

    The four files of interest are in the /Windows folder.
    Twain.dll
    Twain_32.dll
    Twunk_16.exe
    Twunk_32.exe

    One think you may have to do, is remove SP2 and go to Microsoft Windows
    Update and redo SP2.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > Thank you CSM1 for your reply. I have downloaded the new driver from Canon
    > and executed it as per their instructions. Have deleted the USB controler
    > and rebooted, (printer is connected to same controler and is working) and
    > reinstalled all the canon software. The scanner is communicating with the
    > computer because when I press the copy button the relative software
    > appears and then an error message saying - unable to open twain source,
    > please check connection -. Ron
    >>

    > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Ron Shepherd" <ron@shep5776.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> After downloading Windows XP updates, none of my programs cannot
    >>> communicate with my scanner (canon8400f).
    >>> Have reinstalled canon software and checked the Control Panel/Scanner
    >>> and Cameras/ to find the scanner is installed. The test shows scanner is
    >>> working properly. When trying to use Arcsoft Photostudio 5.5 an error
    >>> message reads: There is a twain error, maybe the device is not
    >>> connected. When reinstalling the software again a message on the sys
    >>> tray says: Found new hardware, It is installed and ready for use. Also
    >>> during the install of Page Manager (part of the cannon software) two
    >>> error messages appeared. The heading is "Severe, creatfile Failed" the
    >>> other, "Severe, writelane Failed". The program goes on to be installed.
    >>> Before the update the whole system was working perfectly. Thank you,
    >>> Ron.
    >>>
    >> "None cannot" means that the programs CAN communicate. I think you mean
    >> "Programs cannot work".
    >>
    >> Reinstall Arcsoft Photostudio 5.5.
    >>
    >> One trick in Windows XP SP2 is to open the device manager and delete the
    >> USB Controller and reboot. This makes the OS load the correct USB driver.
    >> You may also have reinstall the scanner driver.
    >>
    >> Windows XP Service Pack 2 changes many things in the OS, TWAIN is really
    >> effected.
    >> Get the latest download for the CanonScan 8400F.
    >> http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid=235&modelid=10242
    >>
    >> --
    >> CSM1
    >> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    >> --

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    In article <d4fuf8$k0d$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>,
    ron@shep5776.freeserve.co.uk says...
    > Thank you CSM1 for your reply. I have downloaded the new driver from Canon
    > and executed it as per their instructions. Have deleted the USB controler
    > and rebooted, (printer is connected to same controler and is working) and
    > reinstalled all the canon software. The scanner is communicating with the
    > computer because when I press the copy button the relative software appears
    > and then an error message saying - unable to open twain source, please check
    > connection -. Ron
    > >

    > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > > "Ron Shepherd" <ron@shep5776.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >> After downloading Windows XP updates, none of my programs cannot
    > >> communicate with my scanner (canon8400f).
    > >> Have reinstalled canon software and checked the Control Panel/Scanner and
    > >> Cameras/ to find the scanner is installed. The test shows scanner is
    > >> working properly. When trying to use Arcsoft Photostudio 5.5 an error
    > >> message reads: There is a twain error, maybe the device is not connected.
    > >> When reinstalling the software again a message on the sys tray says:
    > >> Found new hardware, It is installed and ready for use. Also during the
    > >> install of Page Manager (part of the cannon software) two error messages
    > >> appeared. The heading is "Severe, creatfile Failed" the other, "Severe,
    > >> writelane Failed". The program goes on to be installed. Before the update
    > >> the whole system was working perfectly. Thank you, Ron.
    > >>
    > > "None cannot" means that the programs CAN communicate. I think you mean
    > > "Programs cannot work".
    > >
    > > Reinstall Arcsoft Photostudio 5.5.
    > >
    > > One trick in Windows XP SP2 is to open the device manager and delete the
    > > USB Controller and reboot. This makes the OS load the correct USB driver.
    > > You may also have reinstall the scanner driver.
    > >
    > > Windows XP Service Pack 2 changes many things in the OS, TWAIN is really
    > > effected.
    > > Get the latest download for the CanonScan 8400F.
    > > http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid=235&modelid=10242
    > >
    > > --
    > > CSM1
    > > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > > --

    Have you tried changing the compatibility mode - I had an AGFA scanner
    one time that after installing XP would not work until I changed the
    compatibility mode, I think to WIN 98, but give it a try and see what
    happens. Good Luck.
    --

    Cheers!

    Jan
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Try a complete uninstall and reinstall and ensure that WIA Services is set
    to Manual in Control Panel, Admin Tools, Services.

    Twain and WIA don't work too well together and WIA will spring into action
    if you connect a device such as a digital camera direct to the PC. If
    you're using a Canon scanner, use a card reader to get your digital pictures
    to the PC.
    --
    Cari
    (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

    "Ron Shepherd" <ron@shep5776.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > After downloading Windows XP updates, none of my programs cannot
    > communicate with my scanner (canon8400f).
    > Have reinstalled canon software and checked the Control Panel/Scanner and
    > Cameras/ to find the scanner is installed. The test shows scanner is
    > working properly. When trying to use Arcsoft Photostudio 5.5 an error
    > message reads: There is a twain error, maybe the device is not connected.
    > When reinstalling the software again a message on the sys tray says: Found
    > new hardware, It is installed and ready for use. Also during the install
    > of Page Manager (part of the cannon software) two error messages appeared.
    > The heading is "Severe, creatfile Failed" the other, "Severe, writelane
    > Failed". The program goes on to be installed. Before the update the whole
    > system was working perfectly. Thank you, Ron.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Cari, WIA services do not appear in Control Panel, Admin Tools, Services.
    Perhapps this may be the problem. When you say a complete uninstall do you
    mean windows or the Canon software. I have not done this yet. If you mean
    windows, then would that mean a clean install of windows?

    "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > Try a complete uninstall and reinstall and ensure that WIA Services is set
    > to Manual in Control Panel, Admin Tools, Services.
    >
    > Twain and WIA don't work too well together and WIA will spring into action
    > if you connect a device such as a digital camera direct to the PC. If
    > you're using a Canon scanner, use a card reader to get your digital
    pictures
    > to the PC.
    > --
    > Cari
    > (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
    >
    > "Ron Shepherd" <ron@shep5776.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > After downloading Windows XP updates, none of my programs cannot
    > > communicate with my scanner (canon8400f).
    > > Have reinstalled canon software and checked the Control Panel/Scanner
    and
    > > Cameras/ to find the scanner is installed. The test shows scanner is
    > > working properly. When trying to use Arcsoft Photostudio 5.5 an error
    > > message reads: There is a twain error, maybe the device is not
    connected.
    > > When reinstalling the software again a message on the sys tray says:
    Found
    > > new hardware, It is installed and ready for use. Also during the install
    > > of Page Manager (part of the cannon software) two error messages
    appeared.
    > > The heading is "Severe, creatfile Failed" the other, "Severe, writelane
    > > Failed". The program goes on to be installed. Before the update the
    whole
    > > system was working perfectly. Thank you, Ron.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Have downloaded irfanview and got the twain error. Went to the two Microsoft
    sights and to be honest didn't understand how to do it. Have removed SP2 and
    now running XP SP1. Put the Original XP disk in and did a windows repair.
    Still no luck. Thanks for your time on my behalf.

    > Rather than pressing the Copy button, try scanning with a Photo editor,
    such
    > as Photoshop Elements or Irfanview.
    >
    > Free Irfanview is a good test and copy software, because it has very good
    > TWAIN interface and Printer functions. It's not a bad simple photo editor
    > either.
    >
    > Download the plug-ins also, Irfanview needs them to have full function.
    > http://www.irfanview.com/
    >
    > If Irfanview returns a TWAIN error, then your TWAIN interface in Windows
    is
    > messed up.
    >
    > There is a way to fix the TWAIN inface in Windows XP SP2, but it takes
    work
    > and the original XP CD.
    >
    > Microsoft KBs.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q300944/
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q300462/
    >
    > The four files of interest are in the /Windows folder.
    > Twain.dll
    > Twain_32.dll
    > Twunk_16.exe
    > Twunk_32.exe
    >
    > One think you may have to do, is remove SP2 and go to Microsoft Windows
    > Update and redo SP2.
    >
    > --
    > CSM1
    > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > --
    > "Ron Shepherd" <ron@shep5776.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Thank you CSM1 for your reply. I have downloaded the new driver from
    Canon
    > > and executed it as per their instructions. Have deleted the USB
    controler
    > > and rebooted, (printer is connected to same controler and is working)
    and
    > > reinstalled all the canon software. The scanner is communicating with
    the
    > > computer because when I press the copy button the relative software
    > > appears and then an error message saying - unable to open twain source,
    > > please check connection -. Ron
    > >>

    > > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > >> "Ron Shepherd" <ron@shep5776.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >>>
    > >> "None cannot" means that the programs CAN communicate. I think you mean
    > >> "Programs cannot work".
    > >>
    > >> Reinstall Arcsoft Photostudio 5.5.
    > >>
    > >> One trick in Windows XP SP2 is to open the device manager and delete
    the
    > >> USB Controller and reboot. This makes the OS load the correct USB
    driver.
    > >> You may also have reinstall the scanner driver.
    > >>
    > >> Windows XP Service Pack 2 changes many things in the OS, TWAIN is
    really
    > >> effected.
    > >> Get the latest download for the CanonScan 8400F.

    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid
    =235&modelid=10242

    > >> --
    > >> CSM1
    > >> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > >> --

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Hmmm, I've seen (very rarely) folks losing their Print Spooler Service but
    never the WIA Service.

    I was actually referring to the Canon software - and there is an uninstall
    untility on their website.... Just ensure the scanner is disconnected from
    the PC before running the Canon utility.

    I'd certainly try one more uninstall and reinstall of the Canon software
    before thinking about a Repair Installation.
    --
    Cari
    (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

    > Cari, WIA services do not appear in Control Panel, Admin Tools, Services.
    > Perhapps this may be the problem. When you say a complete uninstall do you
    > mean windows or the Canon software. I have not done this yet. If you mean
    > windows, then would that mean a clean install of windows?
    >

    > "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    >> Try a complete uninstall and reinstall and ensure that WIA Services is
    >> set
    >> to Manual in Control Panel, Admin Tools, Services.
    >>
    >> Twain and WIA don't work too well together and WIA will spring into
    >> action
    >> if you connect a device such as a digital camera direct to the PC. If
    >> you're using a Canon scanner, use a card reader to get your digital
    > pictures
    >> to the PC.
    >> --
    >> Cari
    >> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
    >>
    >> "Ron Shepherd" <ron@shep5776.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> > After downloading Windows XP updates, none of my programs cannot
    >> > communicate with my scanner (canon8400f).
    >> > Have reinstalled canon software and checked the Control Panel/Scanner
    > and
    >> > Cameras/ to find the scanner is installed. The test shows scanner is
    >> > working properly. When trying to use Arcsoft Photostudio 5.5 an error
    >> > message reads: There is a twain error, maybe the device is not
    > connected.
    >> > When reinstalling the software again a message on the sys tray says:
    > Found
    >> > new hardware, It is installed and ready for use. Also during the
    >> > install
    >> > of Page Manager (part of the cannon software) two error messages
    > appeared.
    >> > The heading is "Severe, creatfile Failed" the other, "Severe, writelane
    >> > Failed". The program goes on to be installed. Before the update the
    > whole
    >> > system was working perfectly. Thank you, Ron.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    This is going to get complicated. I suggest printing this Post.

    Start by reading the Help on Expand.

    Start>Help and Support.
    In the Search box type "expand" no quotes.

    Under Suggested Topics, there is one Expand, Click on it and print the
    results.
    That gives you the command structure for Expand.

    Now here is where the work comes in.
    Start>Click Run. In the Run text box type: command<Enter> (<Enter> is the
    Enter key on your keyboard)
    You will have a Command Window on your screen.

    Put in your Windows XP installation CD in the CD-ROM drive.
    For the following I will assume that your CD drive is D: and your Windows XP
    is installed on C:. Please change the drive letters to fit your system.

    In the command line window you have on screen.

    Create a folder to expand the TWAIN files into. md stands for Make Dir. cd
    stands for Change Dir. (They are holdovers from DOS days) Type: means type
    the command on the command line in the command window. \ is backslash. _ is
    underline. There is a space between each part of the command.

    The following line is md<space>\expand<enter>
    Type:md \expand<Enter> Creates the folder EXPAND in the root of the XP
    drive.
    Type:cd \expand<Enter> Changes your current folder to the C:\Expand
    folder.

    You should have on screen:
    C:\EXPAND>
    Now extract the four Twain files from the CD.
    The first command line for twain.dll is:
    C:\EXPAND>expand D:\i386\twain.dl_ C:\expand\twain.dll<Enter>

    You will see this message for each file. (Drive letters for your system may
    be different. My XP is D: and CD-ROM is H:)

    D:\EXPAND>expand H:\i386\twain.dl_ D:\expand\twain.dll
    Microsoft (R) File Expansion Utility Version 5.1.2600.0
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1990-1999. All rights reserved.

    Expanding h:\i386\twain.dl_ to d:\expand\twain.dll.
    h:\i386\twain.dl_: 36366 bytes expanded to 94784 bytes, 160% increase.

    Expand the other three files, one at a time.
    C:\EXPAND>expand D:\twain_32.dl_ C:\expand\twain_32.dll<Enter>
    C:\EXPAND>expand D:\twunk_16.ex_ C:\expand\twunk_16.exe<Enter>
    C:\EXPAND>expand D:\twunk_32.ex_ C:\expand\twunk_32.exe<Enter>
    C:\EXPAND>exit<Enter>
    The exit command closes the command window.

    The four new twain files and now in C:\expand.
    With Windows Explorer copy the four files in C:\EXPAND to C:\Windows.
    If you get a warning about changing system files continue and overwrite the
    files in the Windows folder.

    You have now replaced the four TWAIN interface files with the Original
    uncorrupted files from the CD.

    Reboot and hope that fixes your problem.
    If that fixes your Twain problems. Go to Windows Update and reinstall SP2.

    If this procedure does not fix the TWAIN problem, the only other cure I
    know, is a Clean install of Windows XP. Clean install means reformat the
    Windows partition and install Windows XP, Windows Updates and all of your
    Programs. Backup your data first!

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > Have downloaded irfanview and got the twain error. Went to the two
    > Microsoft
    > sights and to be honest didn't understand how to do it. Have removed SP2
    > and
    > now running XP SP1. Put the Original XP disk in and did a windows repair.
    > Still no luck. Thanks for your time on my behalf.
    >>

    > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >> Rather than pressing the Copy button, try scanning with a Photo editor,
    > such
    >> as Photoshop Elements or Irfanview.
    >>
    >> Free Irfanview is a good test and copy software, because it has very good
    >> TWAIN interface and Printer functions. It's not a bad simple photo editor
    >> either.
    >>
    >> Download the plug-ins also, Irfanview needs them to have full function.
    >> http://www.irfanview.com/
    >>
    >> If Irfanview returns a TWAIN error, then your TWAIN interface in Windows
    > is
    >> messed up.
    >>
    >> There is a way to fix the TWAIN inface in Windows XP SP2, but it takes
    > work
    >> and the original XP CD.
    >>
    >> Microsoft KBs.
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q300944/
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q300462/
    >>
    >> The four files of interest are in the /Windows folder.
    >> Twain.dll
    >> Twain_32.dll
    >> Twunk_16.exe
    >> Twunk_32.exe
    >>
    >> One thing you may have to do, is remove SP2 and go to Microsoft Windows
    >> Update and redo SP2.
    >>
    >> --
    >> CSM1
    >> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    >> --
    >> "Ron Shepherd" <ron@shep5776.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> > Thank you CSM1 for your reply. I have downloaded the new driver from
    > Canon
    >> > and executed it as per their instructions. Have deleted the USB
    > controler
    >> > and rebooted, (printer is connected to same controler and is working)
    > and
    >> > reinstalled all the canon software. The scanner is communicating with
    > the
    >> > computer because when I press the copy button the relative software
    >> > appears and then an error message saying - unable to open twain source,
    >> > please check connection -. Ron
    >> >>

    >> > "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > is
    > installed.

    > the
    > driver.

    > really
    >> >>
    > http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid
    > =235&modelid=10242

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    The one thing I forgot to say is you must be logged in XP as administrator.
    You cannot make changes to the OS without being administrator.
    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> [...]
    > >> either.
    > >>
    > >> Download the plug-ins also, Irfanview needs them to have full function.
    > >> http://www.irfanview.com/
    > >>
    > >> If Irfanview returns a TWAIN error, then your TWAIN interface in
    Windows
    > > is
    > >> messed up.
    > >>
    > >> There is a way to fix the TWAIN inface in Windows XP SP2, but it takes
    > > work
    > >> and the original XP CD.
    > >>
    > >> Microsoft KBs.
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q300944/
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q300462/
    > >>
    > >> The four files of interest are in the /Windows folder.
    > >> Twain.dll
    > >> Twain_32.dll
    > >> Twunk_16.exe
    > >> Twunk_32.exe
    > >>
    > >> One thing you may have to do, is remove SP2 and go to Microsoft Windows

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    It was very interesting completing your instructions, thank you. Renewed the
    files but alas it didn't work. After the clean install I shall update to SP2
    before installing any software and look hard at any other updates. Thank you
    once again.

> [...]
    > > know, is a Clean install of Windows XP. Clean install means reformat the
    > > Windows partition and install Windows XP, Windows Updates and all of
    your
    > > Programs. Backup your data first!
    > >
    > > --
    > > CSM1
    > > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    > > --
    > > "Ron Shepherd" <ron@shep5776.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > > Have downloaded irfanview and got the twain error. Went to the two
    > > > Microsoft
    > > > sights and to be honest didn't understand how to do it. Have removed
    SP2
    > > > and
    > > > now running XP SP1. Put the Original XP disk in and did a windows
    > repair.
    > > > Still no luck. Thanks for your time on my behalf.

Scanners Twain Software Peripherals