Best scanning software for a Dell 942 printer/scanner?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 24, 2005 8:10:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

My recently-purchased Dell Dimension 8400 computer (WinXP) came with a
Dell 942 printer/scanner. The only scanning software that seems to
have come with it is a "Scanner and Camera Wizard" that offers less
control over the scanning process than PaperPort did with my old HP
ScanJet 4c scanner.

What is the best scanning software that I should get for my Dell 942?
I've heard of Vuescan and SilverFast AI, but know nothing about them.
Are they overkill for this little Dell 942? And for that matter, is
the 942 a piece of junk as a scanner? If so, what would be a better
choice in that same price range (inexpensive)?

But my main concern is to get the best scanning sofware that'll make
the most of this little 942.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 5:59:22 PM

"fan" <fan@fan.com> wrote in message
> My recently-purchased Dell Dimension 8400 computer (WinXP) came with a
> Dell 942 printer/scanner. The only scanning software that seems to
> have come with it is a "Scanner and Camera Wizard" that offers less
> control over the scanning process than PaperPort did with my old HP
> ScanJet 4c scanner.
>
> What is the best scanning software that I should get for my Dell 942?
> I've heard of Vuescan and SilverFast AI, but know nothing about them.
> Are they overkill for this little Dell 942? And for that matter, is
> the 942 a piece of junk as a scanner? If so, what would be a better
> choice in that same price range (inexpensive)?
>
> But my main concern is to get the best scanning sofware that'll make
> the most of this little 942.
>
> Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails...

Did you see the Installation Software CD (software and drivers) for the 942?

If you have that CD did you try installing the software on the CD.

The reviews I read, say this is a cheap printer with a scanner thrown in.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

> The reviews I read, say this is a cheap printer with a scanner thrown in.
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --
Well of course it is, it's a Lexmark with a Dell badge on it!
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 13:59:22 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
wrote:

>"fan" <fan@fan.com> wrote in message
>> My recently-purchased Dell Dimension 8400 computer (WinXP) came with a
>> Dell 942 printer/scanner. The only scanning software that seems to
>> have come with it is a "Scanner and Camera Wizard" that offers less
>> control over the scanning process than PaperPort did with my old HP
>> ScanJet 4c scanner.
>>
>> What is the best scanning software that I should get for my Dell 942?
>> I've heard of Vuescan and SilverFast AI, but know nothing about them.
>> Are they overkill for this little Dell 942? And for that matter, is
>> the 942 a piece of junk as a scanner? If so, what would be a better
>> choice in that same price range (inexpensive)?
>>
>> But my main concern is to get the best scanning sofware that'll make
>> the most of this little 942.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
>
>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails...
>
>Did you see the Installation Software CD (software and drivers) for the 942?
>
>If you have that CD did you try installing the software on the CD.
>
>The reviews I read, say this is a cheap printer with a scanner thrown in.
>
>--
>CSM1
>http://www.carlmcmillan.com

The 942 printer is installed and works fine. I just would like to know
if there is a better scanning program for it than the program that
comes with it. I called Dell tech suppport and they said that the
scanning software is "Paintshop Pro Studio", but it seems to me that
is photo manipulation software, not scanning software.

Would PaperPort 10, Vuescan or Silverfast AI be a better choice than
the "Scanner and Camera Wizard" that came with my WinXP system? If so,
which would be best for the Dell 942?

Thanks.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 1:01:11 AM

> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 13:59:22 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>"fan" <fan@fan.com> wrote in message
>>> My recently-purchased Dell Dimension 8400 computer (WinXP) came with a
>>> Dell 942 printer/scanner. The only scanning software that seems to
>>> have come with it is a "Scanner and Camera Wizard" that offers less
>>> control over the scanning process than PaperPort did with my old HP
>>> ScanJet 4c scanner.
>>>
>>> What is the best scanning software that I should get for my Dell 942?
>>> I've heard of Vuescan and SilverFast AI, but know nothing about them.
>>> Are they overkill for this little Dell 942? And for that matter, is
>>> the 942 a piece of junk as a scanner? If so, what would be a better
>>> choice in that same price range (inexpensive)?
>>>
>>> But my main concern is to get the best scanning sofware that'll make
>>> the most of this little 942.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
>>
>>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails...
>>
>>Did you see the Installation Software CD (software and drivers) for the
>>942?
>>
>>If you have that CD did you try installing the software on the CD.
>>
>>The reviews I read, say this is a cheap printer with a scanner thrown in.
>>
>>--
>>CSM1
>>http://www.carlmcmillan.com
>
> The 942 printer is installed and works fine. I just would like to know
> if there is a better scanning program for it than the program that
> comes with it. I called Dell tech suppport and they said that the
> scanning software is "Paintshop Pro Studio", but it seems to me that
> is photo manipulation software, not scanning software.

It is, but I bet that "Paintshop Pro Studio" has a TWAIN interface for the
Scanner.

That is how most Photo editors get images from a scanner. Look for
File>Import or File>Select TWAIN source or File>Acquire.

You could try Irfanview. Get the plug-ins also.
http://www.irfanview.com

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:01:11 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
wrote:

>"fan" <fan@fan.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 13:59:22 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"fan" <fan@fan.com> wrote in message

>>>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails...
>>>
>>>Did you see the Installation Software CD (software and drivers) for the
>>>942?
>>>
>>>If you have that CD did you try installing the software on the CD.
>>>
>>>The reviews I read, say this is a cheap printer with a scanner thrown in.
>>>
>>>--
>>>CSM1
>>>http://www.carlmcmillan.com
>>
>> The 942 printer is installed and works fine. I just would like to know
>> if there is a better scanning program for it than the program that
>> comes with it. I called Dell tech suppport and they said that the
>> scanning software is "Paintshop Pro Studio", but it seems to me that
>> is photo manipulation software, not scanning software.
>
>It is, but I bet that "Paintshop Pro Studio" has a TWAIN interface for the
>Scanner.
>
>That is how most Photo editors get images from a scanner. Look for
>File>Import or File>Select TWAIN source or File>Acquire.

The problem is not acquiring a basic image from the 942. The problem
is that the scanning software provided offers too little control over
the scanning process, e.g., there is no contrast control when scanning
b&w docs. Paperport 3.0 allowed one to even select during b&w scanning
whether or not to use 16 shades of gray or 256 shades. I'd like to
find scanning software that allows me at least as much control over
the scanning process that Paperport 3.0 did.

>You could try Irfanview. Get the plug-ins also.
>http://www.irfanview.com

Irfanview seems to be a graphics viewer, not scanning software.

>> Would PaperPort 10, Vuescan or Silverfast AI be a better choice than
>> the "Scanner and Camera Wizard" that came with my WinXP system? If so,
>> which would be best for the Dell 942?
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 8:00:58 PM

> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:01:11 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>"fan" <fan@fan.com> wrote in message

That is the description of a WIA driver.

>>> The 942 printer is installed and works fine. I just would like to know
>>> if there is a better scanning program for it than the program that
>>> comes with it. I called Dell tech suppport and they said that the
>>> scanning software is "", but it seems to me that
>>> is photo manipulation software, not scanning software.
>>
>>It is, but I bet that "Paintshop Pro Studio" has a TWAIN interface for
>>the
>>Scanner.
>>
>>That is how most Photo editors get images from a scanner. Look for
>>File>Import or File>Select TWAIN source or File>Acquire.
>
> The problem is not acquiring a basic image from the 942. The problem
> is that the scanning software provided offers too little control over
> the scanning process, e.g., there is no contrast control when scanning
> b&w docs. Paperport 3.0 allowed one to even select during b&w scanning
> whether or not to use 16 shades of gray or 256 shades. I'd like to
> find scanning software that allows me at least as much control over
> the scanning process that Paperport 3.0 did.
>
>>You could try Irfanview. Get the plug-ins also.
>>http://www.irfanview.com
>
> Irfanview seems to be a graphics viewer, not scanning software.

Irfanview has a TWAIN interface for the scanner, TWAIN is the scanning
software.

In Irfanview, you go to File>Select TWAIN source, If there is nothing in the
box, then there is no TWAIN installed on your computer.

If you want to know what TWAIN is, read the About TWAIN on this page.
http://www.twain.org/

>>> Would PaperPort 10, Vuescan or Silverfast AI be a better choice than
>>> the "Scanner and Camera Wizard" that came with my WinXP system? If so,
>>> which would be best for the Dell 942?

PaperPort 10 is not "scanning software" by your adversion to Irfanview and
Paintshop Pro Studio.

You are complaining about "Scanner and Camera Wizard" in Windows XP. Maybe
you are not using the correct software, Maybe you plugged in the Dell 942
before installing the software from the CD and XP installed the WIA driver
for the Dell 942.

If that is what happened, you will have to go into Device Manager and delete
the WIA driver for the Scanner. Disconnect the Dell 942. Install the correct
software from the CD and reboot the computer. After the computer comes back
up, plug in the Dell 942 and Windows XP will find new hardware and install
the TWAIN driver.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:00:58 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
wrote:

>"fan" <fan@fan.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:01:11 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"fan" <fan@fan.com> wrote in message

>That is the description of a WIA driver.

>>>It is, but I bet that "Paintshop Pro Studio" has a TWAIN interface for
>>>the
>>>Scanner.
>>>
>>>That is how most Photo editors get images from a scanner. Look for
>>>File>Import or File>Select TWAIN source or File>Acquire.
>>
>> The problem is not acquiring a basic image from the 942. The problem
>> is that the scanning software provided offers too little control over
>> the scanning process, e.g., there is no contrast control when scanning
>> b&w docs. Paperport 3.0 allowed one to even select during b&w scanning
>> whether or not to use 16 shades of gray or 256 shades. I'd like to
>> find scanning software that allows me at least as much control over
>> the scanning process that Paperport 3.0 did.
>>
>>>You could try Irfanview. Get the plug-ins also.
>>>http://www.irfanview.com
>>
>> Irfanview seems to be a graphics viewer, not scanning software.
>
>Irfanview has a TWAIN interface for the scanner, TWAIN is the scanning
>software.
>
>In Irfanview, you go to File>Select TWAIN source, If there is nothing in the
>box, then there is no TWAIN installed on your computer.
>
>If you want to know what TWAIN is, read the About TWAIN on this page.
>http://www.twain.org/

>PaperPort 10 is not "scanning software" by your adversion to Irfanview and
>Paintshop Pro Studio.
>
>You are complaining about "Scanner and Camera Wizard" in Windows XP. Maybe
>you are not using the correct software, Maybe you plugged in the Dell 942
>before installing the software from the CD and XP installed the WIA driver
>for the Dell 942.
>
>If that is what happened, you will have to go into Device Manager and delete
>the WIA driver for the Scanner. Disconnect the Dell 942. Install the correct
>software from the CD and reboot the computer. After the computer comes back
>up, plug in the Dell 942 and Windows XP will find new hardware and install
>the TWAIN driver.
>
>--
>CSM1
>http://www.carlmcmillan.com

"Paintshop Pro Studio" does indeed have a TWAIN interface, but the
options offered are not adequate. There is a brightness adjustment
available, but no Contrast controls.

By contrast, there are far more features available in PaperPort 3.0:

Brightness (scale of 1 to 250)
Contrast (scale of 1 to 250)

Scaling from 16% to 3200%
Width & Height in inches (to the hundredth of an inch)

Image Type:
B&W - either 256 grays or 16 grays
Sharpening - 5 degrees, from none to extra-heavy

dpi resolution

adjustable size for the Preview Image

Export File options include:
..BMP
..JPG
..GIF
TIFF - Uncompressed
TIFF - LZW
TIFF - Group 4
Multi-Page TIFF - Uncompressed
Multi-Page TIFF - LZW
Multi-Page TIFF - Group 4

So, what scanning software offers at least those features?

BTW, the most important of those features, to me, are:

Contrast (scale of 1 to 250)

Scaling from 16% to 3200%
Width & Height in inches (to the hundredth of an inch)

Image Type:
B&W - either 256 grays or 16 grays

Export File options include:
.JPG
TIFF - LZW

They are important to me because they allow the creation of small
(byte-wise) files, from which to create relatively small PDF files.

Thanks.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 3:17:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

I've been using PaperPort 3.0 on an old Win98 system. I've recently
upgraded to a new, powerful WinXP system, and would like to find the
best replacement for PaperPort 3.0.

What scanning software offers these features (PaperPort 3.0 Features):

Brightness (scale of 1 to 250)
Contrast (scale of 1 to 250)

Scaling from 16% to 3200%
Width & Height in inches (to the hundredth of an inch)

Image Type:
B&W - either 256 grays or 16 grays
Sharpening - 5 degrees, from none to extra-heavy

dpi resolution

adjustable size for the Preview Image

Export File options include:
..BMP
..JPG
..GIF
TIFF - Uncompressed
TIFF - LZW
TIFF - Group 4
Multi-Page TIFF - Uncompressed
Multi-Page TIFF - LZW
Multi-Page TIFF - Group 4

Thanks very much for all suggestions.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 6:29:52 AM

> I've been using PaperPort 3.0 on an old Win98 system. I've recently
> upgraded to a new, powerful WinXP system, and would like to find the
> best replacement for PaperPort 3.0.
>
> What scanning software offers these features (PaperPort 3.0 Features):
>
> Brightness (scale of 1 to 250)
> Contrast (scale of 1 to 250)
>
> Scaling from 16% to 3200%
> Width & Height in inches (to the hundredth of an inch)
>
> Image Type:
> B&W - either 256 grays or 16 grays
> Sharpening - 5 degrees, from none to extra-heavy
>
> dpi resolution
>
> adjustable size for the Preview Image
>
> Export File options include:
> .BMP
> .JPG
> .GIF
> TIFF - Uncompressed
> TIFF - LZW
> TIFF - Group 4
> Multi-Page TIFF - Uncompressed
> Multi-Page TIFF - LZW
> Multi-Page TIFF - Group 4
>

> Thanks very much for all suggestions.

A newer (current) version of PaperPort.
The current version is 10.
http://www.scantips.com/scansoft.html

The above link is to the lowest cost for Paperport.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com