I've been wrong before....

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I will no longer be making PSU recommendations for systems using the new 8800 series cards, there is a lot of controversy surrounding the power and current requirements and i surely don't want to point anyone in the wrong direction.
If you feel that your PSU is adequate for the situation then by all means please feel free to throw the switch............I'm out

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Possibly not the best way to look at it :p I have a 250watt generic PSU plugged into the wall too, but no way am I hooking it up to my 7800GT and overclocked D805. I'm not that dumb.

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
For what it's worth, the xfxforce.com list the minimum and recommended PSU levels for their cards.

The 8800GTS had a reccomended level of 600W, the GTX was 700W.

However the minimums for these was 400 and 450W Respectively.

I think I can get a GTS (PLENTY OF Horse Power) up and running at full throtle on my PSU. Even so - I would probably be fine with the GTX.

Cheers

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
For what it's worth, the xfxforce.com list the minimum and recommended PSU levels for their cards.

The 8800GTS had a reccomended level of 600W, the GTX was 700W.

However the minimums for these was 400 and 450W Respectively.

I think I can get a GTS (PLENTY OF Horse Power) up and running at full throtle on my PSU. Even so - I would probably be fine with the GTX.

Cheers

I reckon that a decent quality (Antec True Power or similar) 430Watt should be more than enough to power a single GTX, as long as there's only a single H/D and a DVD.

naughty

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
I reckon that a decent quality (Antec True Power or similar) 430Watt should be more than enough to power a single GTX, as long as there's only a single H/D and a DVD.

and you want a separate psu for your cpu

guys - this isnt funny - if you want to overclock your cpu and also your vid card and you intend to use a 8800gtx then please listen to the xfxforce guys - the 8800gtx is stronger than a 7950gx2 and that 7950gx2 is around as strong as my pair of 7800gtx cards in sli

and an antec 500 smartpower shat in its pants to try and power my cards with a 4800+ cpu and 2 gigs of ram

if you dont want to overclock then feel free to use any old psu - personally if i was going to buy a 8800gtx card id have been buying a 1000watt enermax galaxy or 1kw pc power and cooling psu to power it with - pointless investing that much in a card and not being able to enjoy it to the fullest if your machine keeps shutting down due to inadequate power

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
if you dont want to overclock then feel free to use any old psu - personally if i was going to buy a 8800gtx card id have been buying a 1000watt enermax galaxy or 1kw pc power and cooling psu to power it with - pointless investing that much in a card and not being able to enjoy it to the fullest if your machine keeps shutting down due to inadequate power

I've seen articles that claimed the DX10 cards themselves would require >300 watts and have also seen claims that load values of 140 watts are being measured on actual units in operation. That's like money for nuthin and your shaders for free. At this point, I'm just waiting to see what shakes out and since I'm not planning to be an early adopter, I can wait.

Can anyone out there tell me about having a problem specifically related to having a power supply with too much capacity?

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Here's the problem with using a PSU that is twice as big as it needs to be......
the PSU utilization factor drops back to around 50% and since Efficiency is Inversely proportional to Utilization then the efficiency goes up saving you money on your power bill which is apparently a bad thing.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Here's the problem with using a PSU that is twice as big as it needs to be......
the PSU utilization factor drops back to around 50% and since Efficiency is Inversely proportional to Utilization then the efficiency goes up saving you money on your power bill which is apparently a bad thing.

Yes... Bad... Must consume POWER!!!

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
I concede - I used 'horsepower' in the generic meaning of 'getting the work done' but not the precise engineering definition.

My head is lowered for the shame I feel.

...... Ok - I am better now.

:)

Cheers

sailer

Splendid
Can anyone out there tell me about having a problem specifically related to having a power supply with too much capacity?

Yes. Various and sundry people will endlessly harass you for wasting money and energy. They will refuse to acknowledge that you bought the larger psu for the reason of future expansion.

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Geez, I was hoping this card would be MORE efficent. I know it is vastly more powerful, but so is the Core2Extreme. No one can complain that the C2E is less efficent than it's predecessors. :?
-cm

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006

I've seen articles that claimed the DX10 cards themselves would require >300 watts and have also seen claims that load values of 140 watts are being measured on actual units in operation. That's like money for nuthin and your shaders for free. At this point, I'm just waiting to see what shakes out and since I'm not planning to be an early adopter, I can wait.

The crazy cost of an 850w or 1kw PSU is the problem I see!!!!!!!

Like you I'll wait and see first......

vir_cotto

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006

Umm you confused me, haha So having a really high Wattage PSU with little Power requirements raises efficiency right ? And is better :oops: ?

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006

I don't think that's true in application. A smaller PSU at 80% utilization should consume less power then a larger PSU powering the same load at 40% utilization. As you reach the upper limits of the PSU you loose at least some effeciency to heat and such, but bigger capacitors, larger power regulators, and bigger converters are inerrantly less effecient then smaller components of the same design and quality. Also, the bigger ones cost more. So there isn't much point in PSU overkill. You don't want to run it at peak load, and you want to leave a little room for upgrades, but capicitors age no matter how nice they are and power requirements change (12v, dual-rail 12v, SATA, quad rail 12v, etc) so trying to "future proof" your PSU by getting a much-higher-than-necessary wattage is a loosing proposition. You're just paying more money to have a less energy effeciency.

IMO if you needed to power a peak load of ~420watts and leave a little room for UGs you'd be far better off buying a high quality 550watt PSU then a lower quality 1000watt PSU both in terms of performance and energy effeciency.

If you're comparing the effeciency of a crappy 550watt PSU running a 400w load to a premium 1000watt PSU running a 400watt load... you're comparing apples to organges. Anyone who has been around for awhile (and saw the no-name brand PSUs be the first to hit the consumer market with ratings over 500watt) knows that the quality of a PSU matters far more on any scale then the maximum rated wattage and that is the unified message that should be presented to noobies, not "get a super-high wattage PSU".

Would be interesting to see some benchmarks that measure effeciency at the wall for more modern PSUs. THG did one awhile back, but it would be nice to put some of these 1000watt beasts to the test.

Oh, and from your sig, I thought I'd mention that there is no such thing as a "SATA II" device, that's just marketingese that the SATA-IO isn't very happy about as it's confusing and misleading. There are "SATA II extensions" but they are all optional and independent of eachother. You could have a 3gbit drive without NCQ and accurately call it "SATA II" capable if you wanted. You could say they are "3g+NCQ" drives, same number of characters even ;)

Harvey13

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
As an EE I would like to say both Mad_Dog has the most valid points in his debate with Flasher, but they are not mutually exclusive.

Having some overhead in a PSU is desired, given they are of equal quality or grade. The added overhead will provide:
Pros:
1) Room for future Expansion
2) Added efficiency through lower heat retention (larger rated PSU's should be designed to disipate more heat, thus run cooler at a given wattage)
3) Extrapolating point 2) above should also tell you that the PSU's cooling fan will be running at a slower/quieter rpm when it's running cooler, and the case in general will also be cooler (given the PSU dissipates heat out its fan not through the body to the case)

Cons:
1) Higher cost (shouldn't be an issue to anyone who could afford a 8800 anyway)
2) maybe larger/heavier

General rule of thumb is 30-50% overhead margin, but this is always a moving number as there are design trade-offs. If you look at power consumption of CPU and GPU under max loads you're talking approx. 150W + 380W then start adding for RAM, HDD, DVD etc.

Final analysis: with 8800gtx the PSU should be >750W

SPARTAN-117

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
If you all look at the manufactuer's websites, then you'll see that a 8800GTX requires 450w minimum, only when you go for SLI does a bigger PSU become a concern. My PC Power & Cooling 510w psu is actually a 650w psu, PC Power & Cooling assigns a psu its wattage based on contiuous (read: they leave the psu on for 24 hrs or more) wattage at 50 degrees Celcius, so you're actually getting a better PSU for your money if you by a PC Power & Cooling PSU. For those of you looking to upgrade, PC Power & Cooling makes a 1kw PSU with Quad rails and 4 PCI-E power connectors for Quad SLI setups. This PSU is about $500. Hope this helps.

------------------------

My System:

AMD 64 X2 3800+ OC'ed to 2.2 Ghz, BFG 7900 GTX 512 mb OC'ed, ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe, 2 Gb Kingston Value RAM CAS Latency 2.5-3-3-6, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 4, Westen Digital 74 Gb Ratop ADFD, 2x Western Digital 250 Gb Caviar SE, 3x Thermaltake Hardcano 14 HDD coolers, Thermaltake Blue Orb II CPU cooler, Zalman VF-Cu 900 Blue LED VGA cooler, Thermaltake Extreme Spirit Northbridge cooler, and a PC Power & Cooling 510w PSU.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
A smaller PSU at 80% utilization should consume less power then a larger PSU powering the same load at 40% utilization.

That depends upon the efficiencies of the two power supplies you're comparing. Look at the plot in this report in figure 7. For most of the units shown there, the efficiency peaked between 40 and 80% load and was pretty flat in that region. You can compare specific units and find significant deviations from the above plot but of the many I've seen, this is very representative of the average. So basically, your 40 to 80% comparison is simply not valid.

As you reach the upper limits of the PSU you loose at least some effeciency to heat and such, but bigger capacitors, larger power regulators, and bigger converters are inerrantly less effecient then smaller components of the same design and quality.

This is going from bad to worse. As far as I know, you lose to heat at low loads too. Large caps are not necessarily less efficient than small ones.

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
A smaller PSU at 80% utilization should consume less power then a larger PSU powering the same load at 40% utilization.

That depends upon the efficiencies of the two power supplies you're comparing. Look at the plot in this report in figure 7. For most of the units shown there, the efficiency peaked between 40 and 80% load and was pretty flat in that region. You can compare specific units and find significant deviations from the above plot but of the many I've seen, this is very representative of the average. So basically, your 40 to 80% comparison is simply not valid.

As you reach the upper limits of the PSU you loose at least some effeciency to heat and such, but bigger capacitors, larger power regulators, and bigger converters are inerrantly less effecient then smaller components of the same design and quality.

This is going from bad to worse. As far as I know, you lose to heat at low loads too. Large caps are not necessarily less efficient than small ones.

Did you actually read that graph? The one on page 14?
You do bring up a good point, if this magical 40-80% still holds true for modern power supplies, so my example may have been off by 4%. However, if you actually READ THE GRAPH you will see that I am conceptually right, and if I changed my example to 74% on a smaller PSU vs. 37% on a larger PSU I would be completely right. I'm all for being corrected, but when it's a minor technicality that is wrong don't be an asshat and try to claim that I'm completely wrong. Of course you loose electricity due to heat at lower loads too, but when you start to reach the maximum thermal design load of the system you start to loose a greater percentage. But when you're under the designed electrical load of the system you loose electricity due to using power components that are too big for the job too.

1. The PSU with the highest tested effeciency in the 40-80% load range was a 220w model. The 250w model was the 3rd worst of the 8 models tested. Quality > Maximum rated wattage, like I said.
2. If you're comparing the best item in the list, the Rush 2 220w (second generation model of their 220w PSU) to the worst one, the 175watt "Cobra" you're comparing apples to organges, like I said.
3. Let's compare the best PSU to the highest rated PSU: Rush 2 220w vs. the Prowler 250w. A load of 80% on the Rush 2 is 176w at 75% effeciency, which is a 70% load on the Prowler at 72% effeciency. Quality > Maximum rated wattage > "lower load = more effeciency".
4. Let's try comparing the two PSUs with the biggest difference in rated wattage: the 50w Shrimp to the 250w Prowler. 80% load on the shrimp is 40w @ 72% effeciency the Prowler is at 16% load and 60% effeciency. Larger components are inherrantly less effecient, especially for smaller-than-intended loads. It's called entropy and capacitance. They electrons simply get lost. If you tried to use gold bars (perfectly clean and insulated, perfectly welded together) as a long run of speaker wire for lower power speakers your speakers wouldn't make any noise. The gold bars would absorbe and disperse the electrons before they got to the speakers because they are too big despite being one of the best conductive materials available.
5. Lets try the example that most closely fits the 80% vs. 40% example I orginally gave: the 175w cobra vs. the 80w shrimp. 80% load on the shrimp is 64w @ 72% effeciency. 36% load on the cobra @ 64% effeciency. This isn't the best example as the cobra is obviously a crappy PSU. The 80w Shrimp at 100% load still beats the cobra.
5. THis graph shows 4 models by the same manufacturer. Two 200w and two 220w. They are the ones that are almost identical. The other >200w PSU achieves it's best effeciency at 60-80% load, not 40-80% load. The Only other PSU that hits 40% and then is nearly level until 80% is an 80w PSU that kicks the crap out of a 175w PSU. This is hardly difinitive data.

So, the 40-80% range may be important (although it's probably more like 60-80%, and really PSUs are generally benchmarked for effeciency at 80% load), thank you for pointing that out, but as we can see *quality* is by FAR the most important factor when choosing a PSU and real-world testing is far more valuable than manufacturers ratings.

So, does anyone have any benchmarks of *current* PSUs? There's gotta be someone who is irrate enough at me going against the "more is better" enthusiast grain who is just itching to find benchmarks that show some nice beastly PSUs that actually have better effeciency at a wide range of given loads then some of the smaller ones that are available. Those are the gems we should be looking for and reccomending, not telling people "get a 1kw PSU". When we tell people that "uber wattage" is more important than quality, and they have a budget, they will buy a lower-quality PSU with a bigger number on it. Unless a gem of a high-end PSU can be found you're far better off speccing out your system, speccing out some possible future upgrades and buying the best PSU in your budget that will run that system at ~80% load then you are buying a lower-quality PSU with a big number on the label. It should be more reliable, have more stable rails, and should use less electricity. PC power supplies are fairly complicated and involve numerous design decisions that affect performance ranges and multiple components of varying quality and design. The maximum rated wattage of the unit is the first thing you shoud look at, but it is NOT the most important attribute of the unit.

Enthusiast and gaming PCs tend to have very large budgets but wether you're spending $600 or $6000 on a PC you should spend your money wisely... or just buy from a system builder.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
You do bring up a good point, if this magical 40-80% still holds true for modern power supplies, so my example may have been off by 4%. However, if you actually READ THE GRAPH you will see that I am conceptually right, and if I changed my example to 74% on a smaller PSU vs. 37% on a larger PSU I would be completely right.

It's only numbers, right? You said 40 and 80 but after you see some data you decide you like 74 and 37? I see, you'll just massage your numbers till they say what you want. Maybe if you write another 3 page diatribe, you can convince yourself.

But when you're under the designed electrical load of the system you loose electricity due to using power components that are too big for the job too.

So electrons look at a cap and determine it's too big for the job and then decide to not work as hard?

edit: accreditation fix