pecansandies

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I just ordered my computer and have a few questions

What is the best free anti virus, pop up blocker and spyware?

Right after I get it running what should I do...get drivers? Update bios?

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Good advice, i prefer Bit Defender.
It's not free at $25/yr but it offers the ultimate in protection.
Another way to avoid spyware is to stay off "you-tube".....lol

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Anti virus, AVG @ free.grisoft.com

use the built-in MS pop-up blocker or Popupstopper(free)

spyware calls for Adaware and Spybot S&D in tandem. run Adaware after any intense session to get rid of cookies and see if anything more intense is called for. Run Spybot every week or so and if Adaware caught more than cookies.

At this point if Windows update doesn't offer you updated drivers don't worry about it.

If the BIOS isn't broke, don't fix it.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
AVG Free, Adaware, Sygate Personal Firewall (if you can find an old install .exe) and use Opera or Firefox instead of IE if you want popup blocker. I think IE7 has one built in.

(Opera is rubbish on OS X, but on PC it kicks everything else).

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I haven't got enough experience with IE7 yet to answer that question conclusively.

Firefox is a great cross-platform browser, performing great on Mac, Windoze, Linux... whereas Opera is great on PC but shite on Mac, and nomatter how great Safari is it'll never come to PC.

I'm saying this because this is a summery of my experience with the 'other' browsers... so take what you want from that.

pecansandies

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
so for virus protection use AVG

For Spyware use Adaware and S&D

And use firefox...

is a firewall all the important to get?

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Firewall is perhaps more important than all the others.

In my opinion Sygate is the best, but I think Symantec bought them and just shut the company down, so you'll have to get an old .exe off Tucows or Download or something.

dokk

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
I just ordered my computer and have a few questions

What is the best free anti virus, pop up blocker and spyware?

Right after I get it running what should I do...get drivers? Update bios?

YO <<P Sandies ,,,For what it is worth I am using Grisoft's AVG,it is a bit of a bug in that it updates itself whenever,,and you need a good system for it's scans as they run whenever??,so far so good as to firewalls you can get Zone Alarm's free version ,it is just a basic firewall,but it works,and then there's good old spybot,spyware blaster,and spywareguard,,,ALL of these are FREE,
my kind of pri$e....Have Phunn...........:)

pecansandies

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
zone alarm seems ok as I only need a basic firewall. But I have heard that firewalls can prevent you from playing some games maybe I am making this up.

Would I be able to play WoW and battlefield 2

SPARTAN-117

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
For anti-virus get AVG Free. For firewall get Zone Alarm. For anti-spyware get Ad-Aware Personal SE and Hijack This. All programs listed are avaliable on download.com and are all free.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
For spyware and malware, i use A-Squared and Ewido Secruity Suite 4.0, both i got free, and still get updates for life :lol: For a basic virus protection, I use NOD32. Really gets the job done, and isnt a space hog like those devil programs Norton and Macafee.

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
AVG Free Edition is the best free antivirus

Ad-Aware/Spybot Search & Destroy are the best adware/spyware removers

Don't know about Pop-Up blocker but if you are looking for a free firewall then i recommend ZoneAlarm

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Would I be able to play WoW and battlefield 2

Install firewall first, then install the games. ZA is smart enough to open the proper ports 95% of the time. The rest of the time there should be a FAQ on the games homepage that tells you how to open the proper ports in ZA.