Resolution-based Computer Build Article Ideas

RobertR2291

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
First I want to say thank you for the great articles I find across the site. I've made a lot of computer component related decisions with information I've found on toms hardware.

While I can find myself using the 500, 625, etc. computer build articles, I've been looking into something a little different.

For one, not everyone can afford a 2560x capable monitor, so what I'd like to see for a new article/series of articles, is best bang for the buck per resolution. If you can get away with 1280 on an 8800, then you do not need a higher end video card or need to upgrade.

1280, 1440, 1680, 1920, 2560. I've been comparing video cards and systems trying to find information for what is best for example, 1680, without being overkill and saving some money. Especially when you figure that as you go up in resolution, cost goes up.

Another side, is comparing your current equipment to see if you can upgrade just a part or two to reach similar benchmarking. This is helpful for system upgraders of slightly older PC's.

I figure with the amount of hardware, tom's goes through, you can get a better idea of the required components for games like crysis/supreme commander/fallout etc. to shine at some of these particular resolutions. Which may be the missing key some of us need in upgrading our or proofing our systems to keep up with the curve.

Thanks,

Robert

r_manic

Administrator
Hi Robert, I think you can already get that info from the video card benchmarks. The last roundup of best cards for the money, for instance, always mentioned at what maximum resolution the card would provide decent gameplay.