Sign in with
Your question

Question For Wusy, Ninja, Jack and all guys on this forum.

Last response: in Overclocking
November 9, 2006 4:54:43 PM

I read this info on another topic of the forum.

"I read in several places that 965 chipset is better for E6300/6400, and 975 is better for E6600 and above."

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: is this true?

there are a lot of guys who want to buy a C2D, some want the 6300/6400, and others with more money want the 6600/6700 or even the 6800.

it would be of much help for all those people if they knew which chipset is better for their cpu choise.

thanks!
November 10, 2006 12:02:22 AM

I totally agree with prozac
November 10, 2006 12:34:12 AM

When my post count gets high enough to be respected :cry:  I will answer the question! :lol: 
November 10, 2006 1:10:24 AM

It doesn't really matter on what you use for the on stock setting. Overclocking wise then you should be using the right chipset for the job.

What are you planning to get? and for what?

Somedays I just feel like a puppy, all poor and wanting a new upgrade for my system.
November 10, 2006 1:27:25 AM

Yo chuck, wut is up with your puppy in the avatar...havn't you noticed the trend is cats only in THGFZ?

How come its wusy, jack, and ninja...where am I? I dont wanna be considered "all the guys"...I wanna be noticed. chuck, slim142, prozac or even tool....how dare we go forgotten!
November 10, 2006 1:37:07 AM

Prozac, completely off subject, is that an eclipse in your avatar? And if so, what year? It looks suspiciously like my 03 GT, same color as well.
November 10, 2006 2:00:46 AM

Heh thanks. Strange enough though it looks an absurd amount like the front of my eclipse. Cool either way.
November 10, 2006 2:04:35 AM

Well I got a puppy dog, similar to this one. I'll trade it for a 8800GTX, free shipping.
November 10, 2006 2:16:51 AM

Woot I got mentioned. Only after a guilt trip though. And it was after an "even" like, yeah...even you could do it...

I shouldn't complain though.
November 10, 2006 2:29:25 AM

The 965 and 975 are both good chipsets. It all depends on budget and what you want to do. One possible advantage of the 975 is easier future upgrades, but that depends on whether Intel continues developement of the cpu or abandons it to newer technology.

Of course, a lot of AMD people are feeling abandoned as AMD has ceased production of the 939, started with the AM2, and then left that behind as soon as a lot of people bought into it. Glad I stayed with my 939, as it gives just as good performance as the AM2, but with I had a faster cpu. Should have bought a FX60 before the price went up, but, oh well.
November 10, 2006 2:31:59 AM

Quote:
How come its wusy, jack, and ninja...where am I? I dont wanna be considered "all the guys"...I wanna be noticed. chuck, slim142, prozac or even tool....how dare we go forgotten!

Me neither!
He deserves his thread to be hijacked with puppy and car talk for that! Besides not being properly answered of course.
Mwhaha :twisted:
November 10, 2006 2:45:28 AM

I remember forumites by name usually, but for you I just remember the avatar since your name boggles my mind.
November 10, 2006 2:47:39 AM

Quote:
I remember forumites by name usually, but for you I just remember the avatar since your name boggles my mind.

'Guy with the fish skeleton' lol
You can call me Dario.
November 10, 2006 3:18:14 AM

Quote:
Well I got a puppy dog, similar to this one. I'll trade it for a 8800GTX, free shipping.

They are not going to open the box if it isnt barking when the pakage arrives...
November 10, 2006 3:25:00 AM

What if it's leaking?
November 10, 2006 3:34:25 AM

Quote:
What if it's leaking?

Don't open it, Simply send it back as "Item damaged in shipment".
November 10, 2006 4:38:46 AM

Quote:
What if it's leaking?

Don't open it, Simply send it back as "Item damaged in shipment".

LMAO :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
November 10, 2006 5:15:44 AM

I wonder if he realizes that grill looks a lot like the one they put on the Dodge Intrepid. For a second there I was gonna say that my Chrysler Concorde kicks his avatar's ass...but I guess if it's a Viper I'll have to go buy a Mongoose BMX bike to beat it. :-P Looks like me and Sailer are the "guys with no Avatars" :-D
November 10, 2006 5:28:44 AM

There, I added one. :-P
November 10, 2006 6:04:36 AM

And a fine one it is too. :wink:
November 10, 2006 7:25:18 AM

Yeah, but that's old stuff.
According to Anand (link), the NVidia 600i series seem to be a must for enthusiasts, especially the 680i.
Even if it's gonna be rather expensive, is feature packed and the performance is great, think about a humble E6300 on a 2100MHz FSB, with the possibility to do SLI with 16x PCI-E lines and a third slot for physics processing...
November 10, 2006 8:23:46 AM

You just can't beat a great chipset. Or a Buggati Veyron. :-P
November 10, 2006 9:31:56 AM

975X is an old chipset around which there is no longer a good reason to base a system. It has limited overclocking range (still substantial enough for high-multiplier CPUs) and is based on the older 130nm process which tends to run hotter.

Until about a month ago, it was also the only chipset for Core 2 Duo which supported Crossfire - which is common among high-end setups. Then motherboard makers last month managed to make P965 work with Crossfire, eliminating the biggest reason for using a 975X. Now you can use Crossfire and still overclock your low-multiplier CPU by 50%+.

And just a few days ago, Nvidia's 680i came onto the market delivering a combination of SLI support and ample overclocking headroom. The only two performance chipsets one should consider for Core 2 Duo at the moment are P965 and 680i.
November 10, 2006 9:46:50 AM

Speaking of which, I saw a bugatti veyron a couple months ago... FAST! TOO FAST! And not as loud as you'd think either.

But yeah, to the OP, everything they've said about chipsets, great advice, I can't give any because... well I have no further info to give (that and I'm like half asleep again).
November 10, 2006 10:31:18 AM

I'd go for a Ferrari FXX over the Veyron any time.
Except if you're racing in a salt flat.
November 10, 2006 12:22:57 PM

Shoot a topic that is asking me a question and I get here late? Damn I must be slipping.
November 10, 2006 1:30:48 PM

I would suggest that it's an Intrepid. Here is a link to a picture of one with the fog lights.

The Viper head lights are more angles, the cross grille doesn't go out to the fog lights and the rear view mirrors are body colored are a few of the key give aways that it's not a Viper.
November 10, 2006 2:05:06 PM

Correct. Its an Intrepid. Prozac said so some time ago in some forum down in the abyss that is the other. I can't remember where it is so meh.
November 10, 2006 3:01:37 PM

Quote:
There, I added one. :-P

OK, Ok. I've just been lazy. Now I've added one too.
November 10, 2006 3:27:24 PM

Now most of us are identifiable. 3lf is an 3lf, I'm going with the ninja pic, Jack is a nut (joking), wusy needs no introduction, labbby's a insane cat and you are a boat.
November 10, 2006 4:39:36 PM

Actually Chuck, I've noticed you do have an affinity for dogs in your avatars. :) 
November 10, 2006 6:17:33 PM

Quote:
Now most of us are identifiable. 3lf is an 3lf, I'm going with the ninja pic, Jack is a nut (joking), wusy needs no introduction, labbby's a insane cat and you are a boat.

...And I'm dancing on Netburst's grave.

No mention of the Carrera GT, or Saleen S7. Shame, shame, shame on all of you. The FXX looks too much like a Formula 1, and the Veyron is oddly rounded in the front, IMHO.
November 10, 2006 8:23:13 PM

Quote:
Actually Chuck, I've noticed you do have an affinity for dogs in your avatars. :) 

I love dogs, but I guess I could trade the puppy for 8800GTX. Free shipping and no refund and or warranty.
November 10, 2006 8:27:40 PM

LOL, it does kinda look like the Intrepid.

But I tell ya, the Viper moves a whole lot faster ;)  Got to drive one for a week......helluva ride. Felt like I was in a super go-kart on steroids. Insane fast, snapped you back in the seat when you drop the hammer......won't even say what I get it up to on the highway.........;)
November 10, 2006 9:03:45 PM

Quote:

And I'm a processor :lol: 

Ninja: I can't believe how fast you post. My guess is that you'll have passed me within the next week.
November 10, 2006 9:05:26 PM

Quote:

I love dogs, but I guess I could trade the puppy for 8800GTX. Free shipping and no refund and or warranty.

At least a video card doesn't sh!t on your carpet and chew your shoes :lol: 

My dad's cat was peeing on the carpet for a while. Totally pissed my dad off (bad pun).
November 10, 2006 9:10:30 PM

You damn skippy, I'll pass you by tommorow.... and to finally answer the OP question, either 965 or 975 mobos are good. Its all about the budget like prozac said.
November 10, 2006 10:24:47 PM

Quote:
At least a video card doesn't sh!t on your carpet and chew your shoes

I believe R600 will be able to do even that!
November 11, 2006 12:23:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! It'll even give you radiation poisoning from the PSU you need to power it!
November 11, 2006 4:15:39 AM

Quote:
Quote:

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! It'll even give you radiation poisoning from the PSU you need to power it!
Not for a single card. But youll die in 3 months from it with ATIs Triple Play.
November 11, 2006 4:40:48 AM

Quote:
Speaking of which, I saw a bugatti veyron a couple months ago... FAST! TOO FAST! And not as loud as you'd think either.

That's because it has 1000hp (but it also weighs 1950kg...).

What's with all the supposed "car fans" on this thread? Why hasn't anyone mentioned the immortal McLaren F1?
November 11, 2006 4:55:13 AM

Id give my left nut for a McLaren F1. Id consider giving both for the LM
November 11, 2006 5:17:55 AM

Just depends on what you are planning on doing to your system, whether its just for gaming or OC, but other than that, its all based upon budget.
November 11, 2006 1:02:48 PM

Well, McLarens are fast no doubt, but from what I've heard the steering is too heavy and the transmission is a bit jittery but I wouldn't know, I haven't driven one! Although, I wouldn't mind a Diablo VT. My dad's friend has one and it's nice... and really loud and fast.
November 11, 2006 2:37:28 PM

When it comes down to performance comparison between the 965 and the 975 chipset the 965 has the reputation for higher FSB speeds upwards toward 600 and ignores the 1066 and 1333 straps.
The 975 is also great for overclocking but hit a wall earlier than the 965.
The higher multipliers found in the E6600, 6700, and X6800 are just more favorable to overclock without crazy FSB speeds and high Vcore .
Both chipsets are great for overclocking and very dependable.
In most cases it’s just a mater of preference along with a little luck.
Or are we talking about Avatars ? :D 
November 11, 2006 4:30:51 PM

Quote:
Or are we talking about Avatars ? :D 

I thought we were talking about cars. And in that vein, my all time favorite is a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO Berlinetta. Very light aluminum body, 450 hp V-12, 0-60 in 4 secdonds with the old fashioned skinney tires. It was made for racing at Lemans, but the FIA demanded that at least 500 were sold to the public so as to qualify for a stock class instead of an experimental or racing only class. Of course, unless I discover oil on my property, I'll never afford the price of one of them. Last time I heard of one selling, it went for $4,000,000.00.
November 11, 2006 4:44:09 PM

That is a nice car, not gonna lie. My favorite is still the lamborghini Diablo VT. It was great right out of the factory, but twin turbo that thing and you'll easily hit 250. And yeah, unless I get a great job, I'll never be able to afford one.
November 11, 2006 6:22:39 PM

The Diablo is a great car in its own right. But got to be careful when those turbos come on line or you'll end up sideways and off the road. What a thought, people lining up to buy a off-road Diablo. Can't afford one anyway, except maybe one of those kit car conversions that make a Fiero look like a Diablo.
November 13, 2006 3:25:23 AM

Quote:
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the immortal McLaren F1?

Beemer driver here. Don't really like merc all that much. In my friend's immortal words: "They are only good for one thing, going fast or handling well, not both."

I really like my M3/5/6 but if I had to go exotic I'd go Porsche. Always loved the Carrera GT ever since I saw it the first time. Gotta get a nice job first.
!