Sign in with
Your question

Problem with either CPU or MOBO, Help Please!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 9, 2006 5:25:46 PM

CPU: Intel Pentium D 915 [2.8GHz]
MOBO: ECS P4M800PRO-M
RAM: Kingston 2GB PC4200 533MHz

Problem: When using After Effects, I've been experiencing restarts, with Microsoft reporting a "Hardware failure: replace failed component" message and further stating that the problem could lie with the RAM, MOBO, CPU or PS.

I allowed MemTest to run overnight for zero errors. I then tried Prime95, first with the "In-place large FFTs" test and I got an error in just a few minutes of testing. It reported a "FATAL ERROR: Rounding" message. I then tried Prime95's "Small FFTs" test and again got an error after just a couple of minutes (this time reporting a "Resulting sum was XXX, expected ZZZ" error).

So it seems that my RAM is good and the problem is most likely with the CPU, yes? Is there anything I can do at this point besides replacing the CPU? I'm not particularly BIOS savvy, but I do take direction well and I'm willing to give tweaking a try if anyone thinks that this might help.

All I want is a stable, non-crashing machine. I don't care if I don't squeeze every last ounce of oomph out of the CPU.

Thanks for any and all help!

More about : problem cpu mobo

November 9, 2006 7:51:22 PM

The Pentium D 915 has a FSB of 800mhz, doesn't it? The ram and cpu are not running at the same bus speeds if that is the case. They are supposed to run at same bus speed. I don't know much about intel, I think it is determined by the northbridge chip, amd is different. Maybe the cpu is trying to run at 400 mhz ddr (800mhz fsb) but the ram is running at 533mhz ddr (1066mhz fsb).

I don't know if this is a no-no with intel mobos and cpus, but it is with amds.
November 9, 2006 8:08:23 PM

Difference between RAM and FSB frequency shouldn't affect stability...
!