billing prombems with media works

jeff

I have media works package and use it for internet access. For last 8
months cingular has billed me for internet usage by the mb. $250-$350
per month. Every month I call up and get a credit for the per mb usage
(they think it is being bills as wireless data access plan which I had
prior to media works).

Question? Is there something in the access of the internet via media
works which causes Cingurler to bill by the mb.

I can use both apns of 'isp.cingular' and 'wap.cingular' thru pda or
laptop. The 'isp.cingular' seems to be a tad faster. I know plently
of folks personally and see many on this fourm do the same who do same
thing and only get billed the $19.99 for the Media works and use as
much if not more mb per month as me.

I get all the stories from Cingular support about Media works not
being able to be used in this way, but in the end , I get the credit.

I was one of the first Media Works users and this plan was specificly
sold to me for the unlimited internet usage via pda or laptop. It was
designed to compete with Sprint, ATT , etc.

Any help suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

In <10382c17.0411270556.63b4c0bc@posting.google.com> on 27 Nov 2004 05:56:52
-0800, jupiter36@hotmail.com (jeff) wrote:

>I have media works package and use it for internet access. For last 8
>months cingular has billed me for internet usage by the mb. $250-$350
>per month. Every month I call up and get a credit for the per mb usage
>(they think it is being bills as wireless data access plan which I had
>prior to media works).

I've had similar problems.

>Question? Is there something in the access of the internet via media
>works which causes Cingurler to bill by the mb.
>
>I can use both apns of 'isp.cingular' and 'wap.cingular' thru pda or
>laptop. The 'isp.cingular' seems to be a tad faster. I know plently
>of folks personally and see many on this fourm do the same who do same
>thing and only get billed the $19.99 for the Media works and use as
>much if not more mb per month as me.

Looks like your account is incorrectly provisioned, which may be part of the
problem -- MEdia Works normally works only with 'wap.cingular' not
'isp.cingular'.

John Navas wrote:

>>I can use both apns of 'isp.cingular' and 'wap.cingular' thru pda or
>>laptop. The 'isp.cingular' seems to be a tad faster. I know plently
>>of folks personally and see many on this fourm do the same who do same
>>thing and only get billed the $19.99 for the Media works and use as
>>much if not more mb per month as me.
>

> Looks like your account is incorrectly provisioned, which may be part of the
> problem -- MEdia Works normally works only with 'wap.cingular' not
> 'isp.cingular'.

Is isp.cingular aimed at the "data access" accounts?

"Bob Horvath" <usenet@horvath.com> wrote in message
| John Navas wrote:
| > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
| >

| >>I can use both apns of 'isp.cingular' and 'wap.cingular' thru pda or
| >>laptop. The 'isp.cingular' seems to be a tad faster. I know plently
| >>of folks personally and see many on this fourm do the same who do same
| >>thing and only get billed the $19.99 for the Media works and use as
| >>much if not more mb per month as me.
| >

| > Looks like your account is incorrectly provisioned, which may be part of
the
| > problem -- MEdia Works normally works only with 'wap.cingular' not
| > 'isp.cingular'.
| >

| Is isp.cingular aimed at the "data access" accounts?

Yes. It is supposed to be disabled when you get MEdiaWorks and have no data
plan.

Hierophant wrote:
> "Bob Horvath" <usenet@horvath.com> wrote in message
> | John Navas wrote:
> | > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

> | > Looks like your account is incorrectly provisioned, which may be part of
> the
> | > problem -- MEdia Works normally works only with 'wap.cingular' not
> | > 'isp.cingular'.
> | >

> | Is isp.cingular aimed at the "data access" accounts?
>
> Yes. It is supposed to be disabled when you get MEdiaWorks and have no data
> plan.

Are there technical differences in the connection you get between the
two? Higher speeds? WAP vs. non-WAP?

In <fradnf8HSbQnXjfcRVn-og@comcast.com> on Mon, 29 Nov 2004 00:37:51 -0600,
Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:

>Hierophant wrote:
>> "Bob Horvath" <usenet@horvath.com> wrote in message

>> the
>> | >

>> | Is isp.cingular aimed at the "data access" accounts?
>>
>> Yes. It is supposed to be disabled when you get MEdiaWorks and have no data
>> plan.
>
>Are there technical differences in the connection you get between the
>two? Higher speeds? WAP vs. non-WAP?

Speed is the same.

John Navas wrote:

> In <fradnf8HSbQnXjfcRVn-og@comcast.com> on Mon, 29 Nov 2004 00:37:51 -0600,
> Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:
>

>>Hierophant wrote:
>>
>>>"Bob Horvath" <usenet@horvath.com> wrote in message

>>>the

>>>Yes. It is supposed to be disabled when you get MEdiaWorks and have no data
>>>plan.
>>
>>Are there technical differences in the connection you get between the
>>two? Higher speeds? WAP vs. non-WAP?
>

> Speed is the same.

OK thanks. Any other differences? Does one limit where you can go vs.
the other? Or is it purely an administrative difference between the
MediaNet and Data Access plans?

In <YsydnRxYqqGwSDfcRVn-ug@comcast.com> on Mon, 29 Nov 2004 01:52:18 -0600,
Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:

>>>Are there technical differences in the connection you get between the
>>>two? Higher speeds? WAP vs. non-WAP?
>>
>> Speed is the same.
>
>OK thanks. Any other differences? Does one limit where you can go vs.
>the other? Or is it purely an administrative difference between the
>MediaNet and Data Access plans?

I don't know for sure -- I just know that I can do almost everything I want
with MEdia Works. (I've been unable to do FTP over TLS, so it seems that some
things may be blocked by Cingular, but I have been able to use SSH tunnels to
my ISP (Sonic.net), which makes just about anything possible.)

I have been reading this message base for quite a while.
Back in June of this year I had the MEDIA package (19.95 unlimited
Internet...) set up and it worked fine. I was happy as a pig in s***.
In August I discontinued this feature because I got DSL at the house.
NOW.... in October I decided to add this back onto my phone plan.
Well, when I couldn't connect, I called Customer Service and was told
I needed to pay 74.95 for the UNLIMITED Internet data connect. I said
I had UNLIMITED Internet back in June. She said I was wrong. I told
her to look at my old billing. She then said someone screwed up back
in June.
I promply had her disconnedt the package from my account.

What I want/need is just a connection to the Internet using the
Cingular ISP or GPRS whatever.... with my laptop. I don't need
anything fancy for the cell phone, I just want to connect to the
Internet with my cell phone.

I have lots of rollover minutes, so that's not a problem, but I don't
have an ISP (so to speak) uther than my DSL and the want 19.95 to
connect with a dial-up.

Any help would make me a happy camper.

Dave G.

Doodles the Clown wrote:
> I have been reading this message base for quite a while.
> Back in June of this year I had the MEDIA package (19.95 unlimited
> Internet...) set up and it worked fine. I was happy as a pig in s***.
> In August I discontinued this feature because I got DSL at the house.
> NOW.... in October I decided to add this back onto my phone plan.
> Well, when I couldn't connect, I called Customer Service and was told
> I needed to pay 74.95 for the UNLIMITED Internet data connect. I said
> I had UNLIMITED Internet back in June. She said I was wrong. I told
> her to look at my old billing. She then said someone screwed up back
> in June.
> I promply had her disconnedt the package from my account.
>
> What I want/need is just a connection to the Internet using the
> Cingular ISP or GPRS whatever.... with my laptop. I don't need
> anything fancy for the cell phone, I just want to connect to the
> Internet with my cell phone.
>
> I have lots of rollover minutes, so that's not a problem, but I don't
> have an ISP (so to speak) uther than my DSL and the want 19.95 to
> connect with a dial-up.
>
> Any help would make me a happy camper.
>
> Dave G.

This is a typical response you will get from customer service. When
talking to customer service, don't even talk about using a laptop or
computer. Just tell them its for WAP use only. The plan you want is
called "Media Works" and it is $19.99. Its works just fine on a computer
excpect you will be using wap.cingular and NOT the isp.cingular access
point.

John,

Thanks for your assistance. Unchecking the "use proxy server" option
solved the problem immediately.

It's a shame Cingular could not even begin to assist me with this
problem. I hope other users who encounter this situation find this
thread or they will be very unhappy with their expensive PDA that can't
access anything but the web.

--
davef8

In <davef8.1i0mky@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> on Wed, 29 Dec 2004 07:47:47 GMT, davef8
<davef8.1i0mky@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote:

>Thanks for your assistance. Unchecking the "use proxy server" option
>solved the problem immediately.

Glad to hear that.

>It's a shame Cingular could not even begin to assist me with this
>problem. I hope other users who encounter this situation find this
>thread or they will be very unhappy with their expensive PDA that can't
>access anything but the web.

Cingular does provide assistance, just not with the bargain plan. You get
what you pay for.