975x Platninum Power Up edition - Cant get USB 2.0 to work.

JeridJohnson

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
I recently built up a PC using this board.. Overall I am pretty stoked with the performance but like many others using this board I seem to be running into some problems..

USB 2.0 does not seem to work.. I have not attached my device to all the usb ports yet but the system did a scan to find high speed usb ports and said there were none. Looking in the BIOS it shows that USB 2.0 controler is enabled.. I have installed Win Xp Pro and all express patches up to date.. Any ideas on why this is not working?

Also, I have another issue wich is less important to me.. When I boot the machine I get to the screen where it says to press F1 to boot or DEL to enter the Bios.. How do I set it to simply boot straight to windows? I suspect there is a setting but I dont seem to be able to find it.. nor do I see it in the mobo manual..

P.S.. nice forum y'all got here.. lots of good info.

Cheers,
Jerid

USB 2.0 does not seem to work.. I have not attached my device to all the usb ports yet but the system did a scan to find high speed usb ports and said there were none. Looking in the BIOS it shows that USB 2.0 controler is enabled.. I have installed Win Xp Pro and all express patches up to date.. Any ideas on why this is not working?

I'm curious as to how you performed the scan for high speed usb ports. I would simply plug in a USB 2.0 device and look at the transfer rate.

Also, I have another issue wich is less important to me.. When I boot the machine I get to the screen where it says to press F1 to boot or DEL to enter the Bios.. How do I set it to simply boot straight to windows?

Do you notice any error messages? It usually pauses like that when errors happens.

JeridJohnson

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
I'm curious as to how you performed the scan for high speed usb ports. I would simply plug in a USB 2.0 device and look at the transfer rate.

I pluged in a USB backup drive.. The OS poped up a text box off of the hardware icon in the sys tray stating that it was a high speed device and that I should connect it to a high speed port.. click here to see available ports.. upon clicking it, it showed me a list of USB ports and stated that none were set to USB 2.0.. The good news is that while I was gathering documentation and screenshots for this issue to post here I found that there was a driver error on one of my USB devices listed in Compuer Management | Hardware | USB Controllers.. I had the system repair the driver and it seems to have corrected the problem. Data tranfers are smokin fast and the system does not complain about needing a USB 2.0 port...

Do you notice any error messages? It usually pauses like that when errors happens.

You nailed this one.. I had a 3.5" disk drive enabled but not installed. This error was halting the auto boot.. Disabled the drive in the BIOS and it boots straight up now..

Thanks for you help.

kugi

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
lol, my mobo has the same problem.

i just steal my mom's keyboard when i need to get into the bios :lol:

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Probably that lcd screen on that G15 pulls more power, and has to wait till xp allows it more juice.

What is the difference between the power up edition, and the platinum version 2.0?

vladtepes

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
I recently built up a PC using this board.. Overall I am pretty stoked with the performance but like many others using this board I seem to be running into some problems..

Also, I have another issue wich is less important to me.. When I boot the machine I get to the screen where it says to press F1 to boot or DEL to enter the Bios.. How do I set it to simply boot straight to windows? I suspect there is a setting but I dont seem to be able to find it.. nor do I see it in the mobo manual..

P.S.. nice forum y'all got here.. lots of good info.

Cheers,
Jerid

Found similar kind of problems using an USB keyboard and ps/mouse. The mouse didn't work in Windows. Changed the mouse to an USB one. But if I want to get into the BIOS setup I must use a PS/keyboard. Seems like a design flaw

kugi

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Probably that lcd screen on that G15 pulls more power, and has to wait till xp allows it more juice.

What is the difference between the power up edition, and the platinum version 2.0?

in windows, i try to plug in a usb device into my keyboard. but it says it excessed the power limit.

WTF

Seekr

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006

From the BIOS make sure you set the 'halt on errors' to everything but keyboard, mouse, and diskette. If that doesn't do it, you might have a more serious problem.

As for the USB thing.. I got a different issue with that. Mine keeps freezing everything when I try to hook something up when the USB 2.0 drivers are active (front side only). I can only use them with the slow USB 1.1 standard now unless I hook everything on the backside which is very inconvenient for some devices.