New build- system freezing on intense graphics.

bruce10

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum or not.

My system: AMD 64X2 4800+, ASUS A8N32-SLI, Crucial 3500LL 2X 1GB, Audigy 2ZS sound, 1X nVidia 7600GT video, 2X 160GB SATA drivers non-RAID, Logitech G15 USB keyboard.

My issue began with the video and sound freezing when the system works hard in games, actually in high intense graphics in FSX. FSX does not use multiple threads, however I do have the AMD dual core optimizer, the SP2 dual core hotfix and the dual core driver fitted. I have also tried switching the game to just one core.

Replaced 350W PSU with 500W (Knew I was close to the limit there). Tested memory with Memtest, it failed so is currently being RMA's (so using some PC3200 Crucial 2X 512MB for now, with appropriate timings set bin BIOS, confirmed by CPU-X).

Tried various BIOS settings, no change from those and all of the above. I did find that the freezes ceased when I replaced the 7600GT with an older 6600GT / 128MB, but this comes with a performance penalty too.

Am contemplating lowering the 7600GT clock with Riva Tuner, also contemplating removing the 2ZS and trying the onboard AC97 sound chip (ouch). Also thought of trying a conventional keyboard without USB 2.0.

Any ideas that anyone has here that I could use to shortcut some of the hardware combinations above, or to work with if all those fail to resolve the issue? It may just be that I have components that don't like sharing the same case. Temps are a little high - CPU at 48C and mobo at 45C at idle, although on searching the web I find many references to these, particularly the mobo temp. Have run Prime86 and CPU temps rise to about 53C, no further.

Thanks- Bruce.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Sounded like a PSU problem, but seems like it should be good.

Are you able to try the 7600GT in a different PC? Or have you tried lowering clocks, even lower than reference if needed?

sailer

Splendid
I agree with Mpilchfamily that you're getting enough power out of the psu. Whether its faulty or just a bit small is a good question, but more pwer from the rails is needed.

I also wonder if there may be a problem with your graphics card. If it is failing, you could get similar symptoms as far as the video is concerned. Only thing is that the problem is affecting both the sounds and the video, which points to the psu.

bruce10

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
Thanks mpilchfamily,

The PSU has 12V1 @ 17A; 12V2 @ 18A. Are you saying that these amperages are not sufficient, or that there should be more 12V rails? Just so I know if I start looking around at PSU's.

Thanks- I appreciate the help.

Bruce.

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
He's got two 12V rails with 17A on 1 and 18A on the other......
PCI-e and ATX12V are not interchangeable so he couldn't have 1 rail supplying current to the mobo and graphics.
Could very well be PSU, tough call

bruce10

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
Thanks mad-dog.

I should also point out that I have the additional molex connector connected to the motherboard. This is indicated as necessary when using 2X PCI-e cards as the power in the PCI-e bus may not be sufficient (the 7600GT has no additional power connector other than the PCI-e connector). I installed this additional connector when I first built the system.

I'm including this info as it appeared above that that the 7600GT may have a greater power requirement.

Thanks for all the interesting comments.

Bruce.