Nintendo Says No to Wii U Price Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolley74

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
i don't think its a bad price, still plays all Wii games and the controller can't be cheap to make, has some very fun things coming up and already out for it, i'm not regretting buying mine for $349, it's a good console (for a console)

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
A lot of my classmates are perfectly fine with playing on their smartphones. Nintendo should either find a way to convince people otherwise, or repeat the original Wii tactic.

The original Wii had much stronger sales than the PS3 and Xbox 360 because it allowed a family or a group of friends to easily play with each other. Many of the games on PS3 or Xbox 360 did not support that kind of multiplayer on a single TV properly.

jdwii

Splendid
The price is fine for the controller and the system. The Wii U is selling better then the 360/PS3 during its launch time frame.

All Nintendo needs is some of their major titles and they are all coming.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I agree with jdwii once it get some good titles that's all it need.

As far as bad goes. A lot of smart phones cost more then wii u unless you sign a contract. Pretty sure the wii u doesn't require a 2 year contract lol. So that's all apple and oranges.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
"We are already offering it at a good price,"

really i'd hate to see what he calls an a-- reaming price then?

for 350 bucks the hardware is a bit dated already. i think for 350 i could put together a much nicer PC based off one of AMD's APUs.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
The original Wii's sales dropped off later, partially due to the every growing numbers of shovelware.

A few good titles. That's what some of the failed gaming systems in the past needed in order to succeed...

[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]I agree with jdwii once it get some good titles that's all it need.As far as bad goes. A lot of smart phones cost more then wii u unless you sign a contract. Pretty sure the wii u doesn't require a 2 year contract lol. So that's all apple and oranges.[/citation]

Well, you already have a phone and a lot of your friends are playing some 99 cent game, so why pay for a dedicated gaming system?

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]"We are already offering it at a good price,"really i'd hate to see what he calls an a-- reaming price then?for 350 bucks the hardware is a bit dated already. i think for 350 i could put together a much nicer PC based off one of AMD's APUs.[/citation]

That will not get you a gamepad that offers the same kind of group-play games the wii u has. Yes it has outdated hardware. Yes, the graphics still arent top notch. But it is FUN.

Nintendoland is a super basic game, some of the vs gametypes have kept me/family/friends entertained for hours. Drunk MarioChase is hilarious too

FFH

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
The problem isn't the price. I think the problem is lack of games, and that could be due to the controls. I know the Wii U tablet controller is the main thing, but there's a problem for game designers. They have to choose the controllers. The tablet controller only works for the first player. There are also the wii remote, the wii u pro controller, and the many accessories.

If they just stuck to the tablet controller, it would be great. Sell it as a separate controller instead of just allowing you one. The controller is the main appeal. Besides money, I don't see why they have to make so many different controller types. It will only confuse consumers.

Sep 15, 2012
Wii Waning Sales?

Pokemon XD/Stadium/Colosseum remake/New Game and that thing would be selling like hot cakes...
All the Wii U Needs, are Titles... Seriously.

If they even release the rumored Pokemon game where you get to travel ALL the regions... I imagine old timers will enjoy the Nostalgia...

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I was slightly interested in the Wii and enjoyed the sports games. I'm very interested in the 3DS and would love to have one for mobile gaming (smartphone gaming is terrible, seriously, if you're entertained by Angry Birds as anything more than a time killer you have low standards), but I've never been interested in the Wii U even from the very first trailer I saw.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]TheMadFapper[/nom]I was slightly interested in the Wii and enjoyed the sports games. I'm very interested in the 3DS and would love to have one for mobile gaming (smartphone gaming is terrible, seriously, if you're entertained by Angry Birds as anything more than a time killer you have low standards), but I've never been interested in the Wii U even from the very first trailer I saw.[/citation]

Seriously if all you think mobile gaming is is Angry Birds then you have low intellect standards.

See I can do it too, except mine is far more truthful then yours.

[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Seriously if all you think mobile gaming is is Angry Birds then you have low intellect standards.See I can do it too, except mine is far more truthful then yours.[/citation]

You're right about there being much more than angry birds, but smart phone and tablet gaming is still kinda limited. Minecraft PE is one of the best games for it IMO. Generally only having a touch screen for input without needing another device for input seems to be more of a problem than the low performance hardware available on the mobile devices.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Game Cube 3.0 how innovative Triforce system 2 legit to quite for Nintendo just toss in a new type of gimmicky controller input and call it new again are consumers really that stupid I mean they do love their angry birds and itunes after all.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]"We are already offering it at a good price,"really i'd hate to see what he calls an a-- reaming price then?for 350 bucks the hardware is a bit dated already. i think for 350 i could put together a much nicer PC based off one of AMD's APUs.[/citation]

The controller costs at least 100 to make, so try 250 tops. Until PC games are properly supported on Linux, you've blown half your budget on the OS alone.

I don't like to agree with Iwata, but the guy is right. People that own the Wii U are pretty satisfied, but the media for some reason released this toxic smokescreen of negativity as soon as it came out. One guy bricks his system out of his own stupidity and suddenly it's "Wii U will brick don't touch it during the firmware update!" (True for any device). Couple this with the fact that there is nothing really to play for it ATM other than a few games and ports from last year's hits and there's just no reason right now to go get one. Devs are waiting for a packed E3 this year to make their decisions. I'd still rather support this company who's trying to find solutions to the legit issues with the system like the slowww menu than to go and support Apple who would tell me I'm holding it wrong or Sony who would say it's no longer a feature. Stop supporting companies that don't care about customer satisfaction or don't complain when they're all that's left.

Nintendo's waning profits aren't because of Wii U, lower sales than the original Wii should be expected considering the world isn't as financially stable as it was when Wii came out. This is still an issue of the 3DS, which was a major misstep for the company. 3D proved to be an undesirable feature. Even now, how many people are buying a 3DS because it's 3D compared to how many are buying it because they want certain titles like Fire Emblem? If those titles had come out for Wii U instead it would be the 3DS taking losses, and eventually I believe that's what will happen. The 3DS will not lose market share to Apple or Android, it will lose it to Wii U. The only thing the 3DS can do that a Wii U can't is leave the house, you could still play the game on the toilet or in bed. The average person is not playing a 3DS in public anyway.

[citation][nom]gameboie[/nom]I'll pass, for me the controller is a turn off.[/citation]
yeah, i tried playing one on demo in a shopping centre. looking back and forward between controller and TV is offputting. What a stupid idea.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I have 2 Wii's and the fact you can only have 1 main controller + up to 4 regular Wiimotes is just a dealbreaker. They say in the future it will support 2 main controllers... Just image a room full of people all wishing they had the cool controller. Talk about a serious flaw. Lowering the price will not resolve this shortcoming among numerous others.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
A price cut won't help so I agree with Nintendo. What they need are killer apps. They need a Zelda or Pokemon game that takes advantage of the WiiU's hardware. Right now the Wii has no killer app. No big Mario game, no must have adventure or RPG. Those products would increase demand instantly.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I bought the deluxe Wii U for my son (and myself, admittedly) for Christmas and we're loving it. We've had the original Wii since release and the new console definitely offers more than enough over the original to make it worth the investment. Another thing I've just discovered is that through the Nintendo eShop, you can download very playable demos of many games (and full versions if you don't want a physical disc). Some demos are pretty limited while others have given us hours of play time before spending a dime or committing to an unknown game. This is the future of buying games in my opinion. As borrowing games or buying used ones continues to be made more difficult, the "try before you buy" aspect of the eShop is great.

I've also heard rumors of the Wii U replacement for Virtual Console coming out in this spring's big update with lots of other changes as well. Supposedly, most titles from NES to N64 are going to cost a measly $1.00-1.50. If that's true, I can't wait.

One last pleasant surprise is that I've managed to setup the gamepad to control my Windows Media Center PC. After doing the TV/Cable box setup once, you can go back in and find "Media Center PC" under cable box manufacturers. So far I can only use directional keys, play/pause/fast-forward and basic playback controls. The next big update is supposed to add more support for Media Center PC control as well though so we'll see. There's already a growing community of folks on the web with great mods and tips on integrating the Wii U with existing HTPC systems. All these kind of features are what I used to need a mod chip in all my consoles for. I just might skip chipping the Wii U....we'll see though.

videoouija

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
To me, it's $100 too much for the Wii U. I'd rather have a new PlayStation or Xbox, and I had an original launch Wii...

Status
Not open for further replies.