SATA Power Connection

wrathloki

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Hey, I was just wondering what the difference is between this 5 pin sata connection and the old 4 pin power connector. Which is better to connect to? Can these 2 power connections be changed w/o having to reformat the hard drive?

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
The difference is, that the SATA connector was made with Hotswapping in mind.

Which is better to connect to?
Depends on what you want to connect to it. If it´s your run of the mill harddrive you put into your computer and only remove it once it died, then i´d call it a tie. If you want nice, if you can spell "airflow" or if you need to swap your drives regularly, then the choice is quite obvious.

I´m really curious about your second question though. I´m not certain i fully understand what you are asking. 8O

wrathloki

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
I´m really curious about your second question though. I´m not certain i fully understand what you are asking. 8O

I have the hard drive connected to the 4 pin connector right now, can i switch it to the 5 pin without having to reformat the hard drive?

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
The method of power connection should not matter to the HD. Just like you can change a power supply without formatting, you can change the HD connection (while the power is off of course).
Jo