Artic Silver 5.. wrecked my CPU

Kohlhagen

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
I was (or was going to..) clean my computer.. So i took out everything like i always do... But when i tried to take off the CPU HS+F.. it pulled out the processor too.. bending a few pins.. I tried to straighten them carefully but one of them was really loose.. (surely it fell off when i touched it)

Opteron 144

I've had my computer running for 3 days straight, so the AS5 should have been warm.. (it took about 3 minutes to remove Video Card, Sound Card and all the other devices..)

(this happened about 10 minutes ago..)

How was i supposed to prevent this, and how will newegg or AMD take this..

I was very careful.. I just thought it would take a little "umph" to get the HSF off.. I wasn't very neglagent..

weilin

Distinguished
you have to twist the cooler first before you pull. That breaks the artic silver bonds for removal. broken pins void all warranties. Its time to swallow the loss and move on.

papi4baby

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
I was (or was going to..) clean my computer.. So i took out everything like i always do... But when i tried to take off the CPU HS+F.. it pulled out the processor too.. bending a few pins.. I tried to straighten them carefully but one of them was really loose.. (surely it fell off when i touched it)

Opteron 144

I've had my computer running for 3 days straight, so the AS5 should have been warm.. (it took about 3 minutes to remove Video Card, Sound Card and all the other devices..)

I was very careful.. I just thought it would take a little "umph" to get the HSF off.. I wasn't very neglagent..

Ouch, i say the same as kohl is saying. And why the hell are you removing the cooler to clean the computer???

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
wow..... did someone tell you that taking the CPU out is a good idea? or did you decide this on your own? im pretty sure breaking off a pin voids the warranty. good news is AMD's are low in price, you could look at this as an opportunity to upgrade.

im tempted to call you many noobish names, instead i will redirect you to post your experience here. http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=202413&highlight=worst

your story should fall nicely in there.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Opteron 144

Never take the heatsink off unless you are replacing the CPU. If you do don't wiggle it, release the hook and take off both. Dust rarely gets under the heatsink.

chameleon101

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
i wouldnt worry to much, good chance it will still work fine depending on which pin broke, i had a 3000+ with 3 missing pins and it worked fine.

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I once had an AMD K6-233 processor (this is in like... '96) that I lost, in, say, July. Then, in about March the next year (well... I remember it being 9 months later... so whatever that works out to be) I found it... It had fallen through a hole in my jacket pocket and was bouncing around in the lining of my jacket.

Very surprised, I took it out, and saw that EVERY pin was bent... some of them bent round the package. Out of curiosity, I straightened all the pins (very carefully) and dug out some old hardware... inserted it... Powered on... And it worked perfectly. What a processor! :D

Not sure I'd want to try the same with some of the more recent processors!

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Checked that link...I Like this bit:

"If the processor fails to boot there is no charge other than return shipping (if you want the processor back)."

I wonder how many processors that "fail to boot" end up on eBay! :wink:

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Bent pins that don't break should never be a problem. They are just wire conductors that connect the CPU to the MB.

Broken pins are an entirely different matter. Sometimes the CPU will still work, depending on the function of the pin.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
That sounds odd... are you sure you used AS5 and not the adhesive? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835100005)

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
yes, it never ceases to amaze me how someone will point the finger squarely at someone else, all the while offering an explaination of events that clearly points back to themselves as being at fault. There are infact "instructions" on how to remove a heatsink from a CPU, not just instructions on how to apply one.

BlueGrass

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
and not just AS5... I've pulled and replaced hundreds of CPUs / HS and
more likely than not, the CPU will come up with the heatsink unless you've
gently loosened it before pulling. I always use plastic, non marring flat blade
probe tools to work under the HS and apply just enough leverage to two
sides to get the HS and CPU free. This is one of the main reasons I really
like the 775 socket. The CPU retention clip keeps the CPU in the socket
while you're removing the heatsink.. and there are no pins to bend on a
775 CPU .... :D

MarcusL

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Before you do anything crazy, look at the package spec for the cpu and see what the broken pin does. The socket has several hundred redundant ground pins and many other redundant pins. If one of them is the broken pin, you are in good shape, just keep using the processor.

Socket 939 pin definition

kugi

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006

Opteron 144

Con 2 duo doesn't have pins :p

immagikman

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
I didn't see any one mention if there was an actual reason for ever removing the heatsink for cleaning. To my understanding, that unless you start to experience temperature problems...there should be no reason to "Clean" the cpu.

My other half wants to do the exact same thing and I keep telling her there is no need. Anyone else have input about the necessity of such an action?