tecnique

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
I'm brand new to computers other than letting Dell do for me! I have a ton of questions but am learing much just from reading forums and THG. Most things I read say something about testing your system for stabilit. Is this just refering to whether or not you see smoke and shock yourself into a coma? Or is there some program (in bios or other) that gives you a %.

Thanks

EDIT:: I should say all I am planning on doing is backing some DDR2-800 down a little to match my FSB... which I assume is what I am supposed to do... so I shouldn't have much stability issues. Just fishing for info.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Here are the programs that most experienced users use (there are others, these are just common and easy to use):

Memory Stability:
Memtest 86+
Follow directions on the website. Come here with issues.

Overall Stability:
Prime95
Good to run an instance on each core if you have a dual core CPU. Directions on the page.

Video Stability:
3DMark06

Pompeii

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Ouch......that hurt. Anyway, back on topic.

First and foremost, there is no reason to back down on your ram, just leave it as it is. You will not be slowing down your system, so don't worry about it.

To test your computer for stability, you can use these programs:

Prime95
MemTest86+

If you want to make sure that your system will be 100% rock stable, run Prime95 overnight(or for 24 hours if you have the time). If it pops up any errors, you most likely have a hardware problem, and investigate further.

If you want to test your memory, and make sure it isn't defective in any sense of the word, run a test using MemTest86+. Keep in mind, it works most effectively when used on a start up disk.

If you want to benchmark your computer, use these programs:

3DMark2001SE
3DMark2005
3DMark2006
SuperPi

If you have any more questions, the forum is here for you.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
Ouch......that hurt. Anyway, back on topic.

no just goofin around. :lol:

as far as stabilty i just do what i want with my computer.
game or whatever.

i dont run prime or anything like that for 24hours in a loop.
i do run a 3dmark or a basic pc wizard test, but thats about it.

Pompeii

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I agree, I normally don't run Prime95 or other tools on my system. Just too lazy to be willing to take the time to run them properly.

I haven't had any problems yet, even under full load conditions, so I think I'm good anyway.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
I agree, I normally don't run Prime95 or other tools on my system. Just to lazy to be willing to take the time to run them properly.

I haven't had any problems yet, even under full load conditions, so I think I'm good anyway.

yeah what i mean to say is, after an oc i use my computer normally
and see what happens.
so far its been almost a year with my 3700 oc,ed and no problems.

and i just upgraded tp x2 4400 and oc,ed it the same.
its been good for almost a month.

though i have nothing against hard stress testing.

tecnique

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
So when I get my comp, do i just gently nudge the three speeds(fsb, mem, and cpu) until I see flames... figurativly.

EDIT:: or is it all math and multipliers and percents and whatnot.

Pompeii

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Are you saying that you intend to overclock your computer? If so, that is in a whole 'nother ballpark.

If you are just going to run stability programs, your system should be fine. Remember, if you see flames, open up your computer and try to find the source of the fire........

Pompeii

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I believe there are some good overclocking guides available here:

Overclocking Guides

Remember, as long as you take it slow, and watch voltage and heat, you should be fine. Stability tests become increasingly important as you overclock higher.

I'll leave the rest up to you SirHeck, calling it a night over here.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
My version of a stability test is, can I run a P2P ap with my virus scanner, email spam filter, firewall, Folding@home, and a game running from time to time (all with out rebooting untill an update or driver install forces me to reboot) If it doesnt crash on me then I consider it stable ! I have my 805 at nearly 4Ghz now and it does all this for me.