dang0001

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
The temperature of my C2D 6400, which once hovered around 38-42 degrees C started reaching the 48-50 C range, so I did some investigating. Sure enough, I discovered quite a bit of dust was encrusted on the narrow metal blades of my Zalman HSF.

I opened the case and vacuumed and now the temp is back where it used to be.

I'm curious to know how other people deal with the issue of dust. Is there a proactive way to prevent dust build up? Is a vacuum cleaner the best way to get rid of dust once it builds up, or are there other techniques?

Thanks.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
First of all don't use vacuum cleaner. It generates static and can fry you system. Use a can of dust buster. Best way is to clean it every month or so with the dust buster. You can use filters but then again it could restrict airflow and decrease cooling performance and increases cpu temp.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Agreed Chuck. I would rather clean my case every few months than give up 3-5C and use fan filters :) But that is just personal, as I enjoy taking a Sunday afternoon and dismantling my PC and putting it back together.

mrmez

Splendid
I am pertty particular abt dust... what i do...

I have 3 intake 'ports' one for hdds at the bottom, one for gpu at the side, and one massive hole covering 4 CD bays, which has a shroud so cpu has direct fresh air.
Apart from the 2 exhaust ports, i normally seal every other hole from the inside with tape.

Now... to prevent dust getting sucked thru these 3 intake ports... the secret is... scourer. Yup, those green or red things u use to scour pots and pans!

I find a single layer will trap a LOT of dust, but they also provide VERY good airflow.

So i tape a scourer to the inside of my intake, so u dont see them. Every month or 2 i open it and vac them clean. U will be suprised at how much dust that will accumilate.

PC's however are MAJOR dust magnets. Every year or so its prob a good idea to get a can of compressed air, and just blast everything clean.

word.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I have a blowgun and it is surprisingly dangerous. I can embed one of the 3" steel darts about 1" into a laminated wood door, and I made it stick out the other side once. I like to shoot just the plastic tips at my roommate. They leave some big welts. 8O

I would like to hook it up to a air compressor...

Extremely cheap and fun

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
I have a blowgun and it is surprisingly dangerous. I can embed one of the 3" steel darts about 1" into a laminated wood door, and I made it stick out the other side once. I like to shoot just the plastic tips at my roommate. They leave some big welts.

and you practice mma too 8O

note to self, dont piss off tool462 :lol:

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Go with the .40 cal. More FPS (feet per second, not frames...nerds) and more accurate. You should get one, it's fun and they are crazy how powerful they are.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
:oops: You know a lot about me.

Trained last night with a guy 25lb bigger than me and am sore as heck. My chest is so sore I have to rest my arms on my keyboard drawer :lol: So you can pick on me all you want for about 24 hours!

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
ha ha im 35 and am sure you are younger.

i used to practice with freinds but am getting older.
broke my back on a dirtbike,3rd degree ac seperation
of the right shoulder mountainbiking.

even went to eat at a muay thai resturant.
the knees loosened some teeth.
that was by girls :oops:
about 10 mins apart.
one tooth from one knee by a girl, my brothers wife
and the other by my girlfriend. :lol:

dang0001

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Hey, thanks for all the suggestions.

A question about the use of filters: My case is an Antec Super LANBOY ATX with 2 120mm fans. I'm having trouble visualizing how exactly to attach a green scour pad or some other sort of filter.

Can anyone please provide a little more guidance, preferably with a photo?

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
For the Super Lanboy, just pop that front plastic grill off and use a piece of screen on the bottom half of the fan or less, only. The stock fan is very quiet but also doesn't move much air. I have found a filter on the bottom third picks up almost the same dust as a complete filter if your case sits on the floor.

Don't worry about the exhaust fan, no need to filter.

Muay thai restaurant? Sounds cool. I dabble in muay thai, but the flexibility isn't there for me. I thrive on raw knockout power and strength. My advantage is being the strongest 205lb fighter around, but sometimes I can't stay at 205 and maintain strength, currently I am about 230 but am the strongest I have ever been. Only 19 years old though, going on 20 in December.

OP, sorry about the semi-threadjack. I have the Lanboy case so I will be glad to explain further if you need. I have no digital camera here at school and don't even have a fan filter installed currently, as I am going to install a water kit in the next couple weeks and am unsure of my placement of everything as of now.

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Here is a great idea (i use this on my cheap unfiltered chassis, not the kandalf)....you know the bounce dryer sheets....
well after you do your laundry....cut it to fit an 80mm fan...and screw it to your case between the fan....it blocks the dust, but doesnt restrict the airflow.

sailer

Splendid
I've used a vacumn myself, but you have to be very careful about static. I also use filters over the fan openings. Ex-girlfriend's nylons were cut up to make them after she bailed on me. I also use a damp washcloth to go over the general interior of the case every now and then, after unplugging the computer's power cable. Don't need any stray electrons going into my hands.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Most people ignore it but the place where you put the case itself is maybe the most important factor;
If under the working desk, the air intakes of the case should be well isolated, not hermetically but physically from the rest of the room. A good barrier from direct dust flow is the most effective way to reduce dust accumulation.

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
I work at a car shop.. and i like to use our air guns on my pc..

But yea.. those things are dangerous.. We, as many do, like to strap 20 ounce bottles to the ends of the guns and see how far we can launch them.

Of course.. that turns into us launching them at each other.. and then someone gets pelted in the face.. and of course we stop for a few minutes then.

Slappy_Slime

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
air compressor also, but at only at 105 psi :D a few years back had a bad north bridge fan, well i had fun, stuck the nozzle right at it and let it rip :D that little fan yelled and screamed and flew apart. 8O that was a great stress reliever :D :D

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
But yea.. those things are dangerous

i worked at sears a long time ago, in automotive.
a guy i worked with was putting the nozzle of a blowgun to his nose
laughing wondering what would happen.

i told him that if he pulled the trigger he would drop right there and then.
his brains would shoot out his ears and his eyes would pop out.

he was suprised and i was pissed.
i told him not to even joke like that.

sailer

Splendid
Man, tht reminds me of when I worked a while as a mechanic while going to med school. Some of the guys would put a gun to their skin and shoot air bubbles into it. I told them to be careful cause if any air went into their bloodstream, they could get an embolism and it could kill someone.

Sure enough, they seemed to take my words as a challenge, till one day a guy fell over. He had to be put into a decompression chamber to disolve the bubbles. He was lucky enough to live, but he never worked in the shop again.