Battery, WiFi and Email Q's

February 18, 2005 1:27:40 PM

These questions pertain to an Asus A730W unit but perhaps are generic enough
to be 2003SE / pocket pc related in general.

Battery question:
I saw an "1800" battery for an A730 at the time of my A730W purchase. Since
"1800" is approx 60% "more" than "1100" (which is the default
measurement/rating of my A730W's battery); is it therefore logical to assume
my potential time away from the base would be extended by 60%, all other
variables being equal, if I got that 1800 battery?

WiFi question:
I have an 802.11g/b netgear WAP at home, WEP is enabled. Provided with the
network key, my A730W unit can connect, obtain an IP from my DHCP server,
and can access the internet successfully over this network. Monitoring the
signal strength meter in WiFi information shows a constant "full bars"
signal strength that does not falter - and I am 5 feet from the WAP, so that
sounds about right.

While connected to my home network, the network connection icon at the top
of the pda screen alternates every few minutes between the "2 arrows" icon
(connected) and the "2 arrows with an X" icon (disconnected). After about 1
minute, it will flip back to the "2 arrows" icon, stay connected for about 2
minutes, rinse and repeat. While this is going on, I watched the WiFi Info
page and it consistantly showed signal strength as full (the meter is 100%)
and the status says "connected", even though the network connection icon at
the top of the screen periodically reflects a conflicting status.
Unfortunately, the icon at the top of the screen is reflecting the accurate
status; when I see "2 arrows with an X", I cannot access network resources,
despite the 'info' page saying it is "connected" w/ full strength. In
essense, it appears that my "physical" connection (if you can call it that)
is constant; i.e., the signal is always strong. But my "logical"
communications are intermittant. Or something like that... I have no idea.

At work, we have a somewhat older WAP unit that is strictly 802.11b and does
not implement WEP. I can connect to this network, obtain an IP address from
work's DHCP server, access the internet, etc, just as I do at home. The
difference being that this WiFi connection never drops; I always have the "2
arrows" icon, and I have a truly constant, working connection.

EMail (outlook) question:
I've configured an account for my ISP's POP3 server. In outlook, I can
watch Send/Receive authenticate against my ISP's mail server and attempt to
download headers, when the operation suddenly halts and displays a message
saying that 'Messages cannot be downloaded to my mobile device. Ensure the
connection is ok and mail settings are correct (etc...)'.

I have sent email with success, but have yet to receive any messages thus
far, due to receiving this error every time. I'm flat-out stumped on that
one, hoping it's a known issue of some kind but I'm not finding much about
it online.

Any ideas or similar experiences with any of this?

More about : battery wifi email

Anonymous
February 18, 2005 1:52:43 PM

With regards to the WiFi, I have the same thing happen on my Ipaq HX4700. I
am using a Linksys 802.11b with Wep enabled. I am curious to see if anyone
here knows what is going on.

For the email, what is the email account you are attempting to get into?
i.e.. Comcast.net, Yahoo, etc.
For my Comcast I have to leave the domain field blank. This is contrary to
Comcasts instruction on their website. I also have to the box "Outgoing
e-mail server requires authentication". This check box is key to sending
messages.

And if you have not applied this hack it will help you with the speed of
checking/sending (once you fix it) messages.

This came from a post several months back and speeds the checking of
messages up to a matter of seconds:

There is a problem with sending email from PocketPCs with the PocketPC 2003
operating system. The problem has to do with how the ISP is set up. The
PPC has a problem with certain mail servers. Some servers are configured in
a way that it does not have SSL enabled, but the operating system thinks it
does have it
enabled. So you need to do a registry tweak that forces the registry to tell
the operating system not to use SSL.

Follow these steps using any registry editor software for Pocket PC:

Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Inbox Create a new DWORD value
ForceOffSSL and give it a value of 1, Base=Decimal (tap Edit, and New DWORD
Value).
Soft-reset device.

Hope this helps.

Craig Enders

"23s" <asdf@asdf.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> difference being that this WiFi connection never drops; I always have the
"2
> arrows" icon, and I have a truly constant, working connection.
>
> EMail (outlook) question:
> I've configured an account for my ISP's POP3 server. In outlook, I can
> watch Send/Receive authenticate against my ISP's mail server and attempt
> download headers, when the operation suddenly halts and displays a message
> saying that 'Messages cannot be downloaded to my mobile device. Ensure the
> connection is ok and mail settings are correct (etc...)'.
>
> I have sent email with success, but have yet to receive any messages thus
> far, due to receiving this error every time. I'm flat-out stumped on that
> one, hoping it's a known issue of some kind but I'm not finding much about
> it online.
>
> Any ideas or similar experiences with any of this?

February 18, 2005 6:49:40 PM

"Craig Enders" <craigenders@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> With regards to the WiFi, I have the same thing happen on my Ipaq HX4700.
> am using a Linksys 802.11b with Wep enabled. I am curious to see if anyone
> here knows what is going on.

Maybe it's a WEP issue with 2003 SE and/or the WiFi adapter in the pda's,
because I have zero probs with the 802.11b network here at work (it's a
fairly old WAP - it doesn't even support WEP). I'll disable WEP on my home
network tonight and see if that does anything.

> For the email, what is the email account you are attempting to get into?
> i.e.. Comcast.net, Yahoo, etc.
> For my Comcast I have to leave the domain field blank. This is contrary to
> Comcasts instruction on their website. I also have to the box "Outgoing
> e-mail server requires authentication". This check box is key to sending
> messages.

I get my broadband through Speakeasy. I've got the pop3 & account info
correct (I've set it up numerous times on desktops/laptops). Speakeasy does
require auth for my outbound mail, so I do have that on. Maybe the registry
entry will help.

> And if you have not applied this hack it will help you with the speed of
> checking/sending (once you fix it) messages.
>
> This came from a post several months back and speeds the checking of
> messages up to a matter of seconds:
>
> There is a problem with sending email from PocketPCs with the PocketPC
> 2003
> operating system. The problem has to do with how the ISP is set up. The
> PPC has a problem with certain mail servers. Some servers are configured
> in
> a way that it does not have SSL enabled, but the operating system thinks
> it
> does have it
> enabled. So you need to do a registry tweak that forces the registry to
> tell
> the operating system not to use SSL.
>
> Follow these steps using any registry editor software for Pocket PC:
>
> Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Inbox Create a new DWORD
> value
> ForceOffSSL and give it a value of 1, Base=Decimal (tap Edit, and New
> DWORD
> Value).
> Soft-reset device.

I'll hunt down a registry editor and give that a shot, thanks for posting
it.
February 19, 2005 3:52:54 AM

My PPC has 1500mA and it's still not enough.
It plays MP3 only 14-16 hours.
Maybe i shoud buy 3000mA. I saw one for Asus 716.

> [...]
> difference being that this WiFi connection never drops; I always have the
"2
> arrows" icon, and I have a truly constant, working connection.
>
> EMail (outlook) question:
> I've configured an account for my ISP's POP3 server. In outlook, I can
> watch Send/Receive authenticate against my ISP's mail server and attempt
> download headers, when the operation suddenly halts and displays a message
> saying that 'Messages cannot be downloaded to my mobile device. Ensure the
> connection is ok and mail settings are correct (etc...)'.
>
> I have sent email with success, but have yet to receive any messages thus
> far, due to receiving this error every time. I'm flat-out stumped on that
> one, hoping it's a known issue of some kind but I'm not finding much about
> it online.
>
> Any ideas or similar experiences with any of this?

February 19, 2005 3:52:55 AM

How structurally different are the Asus 716 and A730's, do they use the same
battery? WiFi is so taxing on the battery life, I may want to buy the
biggest one I can put in there.

"Amirov Zakhar" <amirov@tric.ru> wrote in message
> My PPC has 1500mA and it's still not enough.
> It plays MP3 only 14-16 hours.
> Maybe i shoud buy 3000mA. I saw one for Asus 716.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 4:16:17 PM

Totally different

!