Can't Fully Implement Theme - ExplorerFrame.dll issues

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I'm hoping someone can help me. I've been trying for days now and nothing works. I've searched on here and in other forums and while I've found others with the same problem I haven't found a fix.

- I've tried installing several different Windows 7 Visual Styles (themes) and while some haven't worked, many others have, including the one I'm using now.
- One part of the theme I can't get to work, however, is to change the navigation buttons in Windows Explorer. I know they are stored in ExplorerFrame.dll
- I have found that there is one version (1.77MB) in the System32 folder under Windows and other one (1.42MB) in the SysWOW64 folder, also under Windows.

First, I've tried following different theme instructions by 1) Taking ownership of the file, 2) renaming the default file to something like ExplorerFrame.old and 3) Copying the appropriate (x64 vs. 32-bit) ExplorerFrame.dll from the them into the appropriate directory.

When I restart the computer nothing has changed. I have also tried downloading a theme changer that allows you to change the bitmap file associated with the navigation buttons. Even after changing Windows still only shows the standard ones.

Is there something running in the background utilizing some other ExplorerFrame.dll file or similar that I'm not seeing? This is frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

JeanAHough

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011

Hello,

Since many people are facing the problem of "ExplorerFrame.dll Not Found" after logging into XMO. Here are one of the solution i found on other website may help you.

because C:\Windows\System32 doesnt have the "ExplorerFrame.dll"
so you may browse to this webpage- http://dllcentral.com/explorerframe.dll/6.0.6000.16386/,
then "Click here to go to the download of ExplorerFrame.dll" to download it.
it will automatically direct to download page, and click "Download ExplorerFrame.dll", it will download the "ExplorerFrame.zip" ,unzip it and paste into C:\Windows\System32
you're done!