bypass the power button with a jumper

Bdee1

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2004
i have a Asus P5PE-VM motherboard in a coolermaster CM Stacker case (newegg product detail)

i removed the stuff that was in the top bay so that i could use that bay for a drive. problem is that the power and reset buttons were one of the things originally in that bay as you can see from the pics at newegg.

so i was thinking it would be nice to just eliminate the power button and use the power supply switch to turn it on and off. so i tried putting a jumper in the two pins where the power switch lead goes. but when i did that, i turn on the power supply and the system starts to spin up and i get a beep and then it shuts right down.

any idea how i can make this work?

dokk

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
i have a Asus P5PE-VM motherboard in a coolermaster CM Stacker case (newegg product detail)

i removed the stuff that was in the top bay so that i could use that bay for a drive. problem is that the power and reset buttons were one of the things originally in that bay as you can see from the pics at newegg.

so i was thinking it would be nice to just eliminate the power button and use the power supply switch to turn it on and off. so i tried putting a jumper in the two pins where the power switch lead goes. but when i did that, i turn on the power supply and the system starts to spin up and i get a beep and then it shuts right down.

any idea how i can make this work?

Ahemm ,,This is a momentary contact type switch,leaving a jumper on it will ,as you noticed,reset the system ,basically it is a 0/1 switch..:))

tcsdoc

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2005
You can't relocate the drivebay to a lower slot? Your giving up a lot of usb ports.

Are the lower panels fake? It's hard to tell from the picture. If not, why not dremel the opening and place the usb/power switch panel there?

Bdee1

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2004
You can't relocate the drivebay to a lower slot? Your giving up a lot of usb ports.

Are the lower panels fake? It's hard to tell from the picture. If not, why not dremel the opening and place the usb/power switch panel there?

no unfortunately i will be using all 12 slots for hard drives. the usb ports will not help me because i am using it for an unraid server which has no use for the front usb ports.

i did find that if i set the bios to recover from a power failure to a power on state and remove the power switch (and no jumper on the mobo pins) then i can power it on and off usign the switch on the power supply. i just have to make sure to shut the system down properly (by typing 'powerdown' at the console) before switching off the power supply.

it still woudl be convenient to be able to have it shut down properly at the touch of a button so i may get one fo these(Radio Shack momentary switch) and just drill out a spot for it somewhere int eh case.

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
ah!
i have the perfect thing!!!
http://www.justcooler.com.tw/eng/
product name RC-168

Description:
A keychain controller device specially design to operate the computer POWER by way of transporting signal on ATX motherboard from up to 20 meters. It serves as a friendly user to those who couldn¡¦t get the hang of pushing the POWER/RESET buttons of their PC.
the main thing is the last line!