Looking for a cooler for the Asus Striker Extreme

pirke

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
I'm assembling a new pc and I'm planning to get the Striker Extreme in it with the E6600 core 2 duo and a 8800GTX.

If it's possible I'd like to stick with air cooling while still keeping a quiet system. I was looking at the Zalman 9500 and 9700, but will they fit on the Striker Extreme?

Or do you guys have a better idea?

BTW, I'm gonna clock the cpu up a bit, probably to 3.0 gHz, but that shouldn't be much of a problem.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
The heatpipe jungle will definetly get in the way of the most spacious cooler such as the Tuniq Tower 120. Look into the the upward ones like the Scythe Infinity and Ninja for now.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
One thing you should keep in mind is that the heatsinks on the VRMs need to have good airflow over them. A downward-blowing cooler would probably work best.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Avoid the Zalmans unless you can find them below the $50 price point.

In addition to the Big Typhoon, you can also look at the Thermalright SI-128. I also wouldn't worry too much about a CPU cooler that directs downward. If your case has an exhaust fan up near the VRMs (like most do) you'll be good, especially if its a 120mm.

If you're that concerned, wait until some solid reviews have come out on the board to see if any compatibility issues arise.

pirke

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
I'll probably go for the Antex P190 case, which will be released in December. Or the 8800GTX must fit in the P180 without any problems with cooling.

So there are two (P180) fans near the CPU and the PSU is in a different compartment. In the P190 there are 3 fans and this big boy of 20cm.

I don't want the stock cooler because of the noise it makes, I'd rather have a few more fans and all of them at low rpm.

G

With that heat pipe jungle, I wouldn't worry about cooling the VRMs!

The tuniq tower does fit on the striker and it's a nice cooler!

Pictures...

canuckz

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Take a look at the new Asus Silent Knight that just came out on the Asus site. It is the one I'm looking at now. Looks great and is a takeoff on the zalman.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/hardware/gehaeuse_kuehlung/2006/test_asus_silent_knight/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=10&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dasus%2Bsilent%2Bknight%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DDVXA,DVXA:2005-21,DVXA:en

PS
MY striker extreme and tj09 are both on order. The waiting is killing me :lol:

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
HAHAHA, gotta love Google translation! Sweet looking cooler, looks like it might be a tight fit. ASUS should have compatability listed on their website for it. Make sure the airflow over the VRMs is good though, it doesn't matter how many heatpipes it has if the heat doesn't have anywhere to go!

Nedkt

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I'm assembling a new pc and I'm planning to get the Striker Extreme in it with the E6600 core 2 duo and a 8800GTX.

If it's possible I'd like to stick with air cooling while still keeping a quiet system. I was looking at the Zalman 9500 and 9700, but will they fit on the Striker Extreme?

Or do you guys have a better idea?

BTW, I'm gonna clock the cpu up a bit, probably to 3.0 gHz, but that shouldn't be much of a problem.
Don't put a zalman on an OC-specialized $400 mobo. At least get a tower-120 or a TTBT. Buying the most expensive enthusiast mobo soon to be available and then using a zalman.... :?

pirke

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
Don't put a zalman on an OC-specialized $400 mobo. At least get a tower-120 or a TTBT. Buying the most expensive enthusiast mobo soon to be available and then using a zalman.... :?

Ehm, what's wrong with that?

Nedkt

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006

Ehm, what's wrong with that?

Putting a middling heatsink with the highest performing mobo money can buy is skewed in a bad way. :wink:

Nedkt

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
The Tuniq Tower 120 looks like a good cooler, but won't the weight of 1kg (incl fan) be a problem?

No, tower-120 won't be a problem vertically. Mobos are quite strong. And you can always mount the whole thing horizontally.

Also, Big Typhoon VX with a 110 CFM sanyo denki (not very loud, I'm running one now) would do the job nicely while simultaneously cooling the mobo.

pirke

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
No, tower-120 won't be a problem horizontally. Mobos are quite strong. And you can always mount the whole thing horizontally.

I assume you mean that it won't be a problem vertically? Because that is how I intend to mount my mobo, and it would be a shame of a $250 mobo if the cooler damages is ;)

Nedkt

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
No, tower-120 won't be a problem horizontally. Mobos are quite strong. And you can always mount the whole thing horizontally.

I assume you mean that it won't be a problem vertically? Because that is how I intend to mount my mobo, and it would be a shame of a $250 mobo if the cooler damages is ;)

Yes, I meant vertically.

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
The 128 is not a good choice if you need airflow to cool components below the heatsink. It has to many fins. Better off with one of the 120 versions they have more spacing between the fins. Unless you want to run a high flow fan but then it won't be silent.

Nedkt

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Just make sure to take it off for Lan Parties and such.

And why is that? Will the mobo be damaged during transport when this cooler is in place?

Drive over a sharp bump and the shock will greatly magnify the effective weight of the cooler on the mobo/socket/cpu.

Nedkt

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
The 128 is not a good choice if you need airflow to cool components below the heatsink. It has to many fins. Better off with one of the 120 versions they have more spacing between the fins. Unless you want to run a high flow fan but then it won't be silent.

I've run a 128 and the airflow to the board is fine. The 128 beats the 120 generally in any event for CPU cooling. To what degree have you measured reduced board cooling? With a 128 I was seeing board temps in the 33*C range and that was with board volts almost maxed and 1.58v vCore after 24 hrs of orthos blend.

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
I have it and the only way I could keep my nforce 4 board cool was by running a 75 cfm fan. It probably does a better job at pulling heat from the cpu but since the core 2 consume so much less power that really isn't an issue. My case temps with two intake fans and one exit fan (all 120 mm) run about 40 c and that is in a full tower case. I was hopeing the new 680 chipsets run cooler since I plan to upgrade soon. I would get a 975 board but I want to keep my sli.