  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
May 1, 2005 7:08:23 PM

I am evaluating a Canon LIDE 35 and find that if I try to scan color at 600
dpi or higher, the system locks up and I have to reinstall the Canon Toolbox
software.

I scanned the same image on my Visioneer 4400 at 600 dpi with no problem but
it will lock up at 73% completion if I scan at 1200dpi.

My system has 1 GB RAM and 26 GB free on the HDD. The OS is xp sp2. Swap
file management is the default xp setting.

There is no reason I actually need to scan at resolutions this high but I
would like to know why the problem occurs. Any insights would be
appreciated.

More about : system locks high res scans

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 3:28:26 AM

"JB" <highlinex@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D 53k0q01ftf@enews1.newsguy.com...
>I am evaluating a Canon LIDE 35 and find that if I try to scan color at 600
>dpi or higher, the system locks up and I have to reinstall the Canon
>Toolbox software.
>
> I scanned the same image on my Visioneer 4400 at 600 dpi with no problem
> but it will lock up at 73% completion if I scan at 1200dpi.
>
> My system has 1 GB RAM and 26 GB free on the HDD. The OS is xp sp2. Swap
> file management is the default xp setting.
>
> There is no reason I actually need to scan at resolutions this high but I
> would like to know why the problem occurs. Any insights would be
> appreciated.

You have a strange problem.
Your system should have not any problem with scanning at 1200 DPI.

When is the last time you did a Clean install of Windows XP? If you made a
lot of changes to programs, you should do a Clean install to get rid of the
garbage. Clean install means format the Windows XP partition and install
Windows XP, SP2, Windows updates, then your programs. Try this last!

Some things to try.
I have 512MB of RAM, which may affect the Page file settings.

1. Check the Page file setting. Have at least 768MB. Find it by Right click
My computer, Properties, Advanced tab, Under Performance, click Settings,
Advanced tab, Virtual memory. Click Change, Select the XP drive, I have a
Custom size, Initial size (MB) 768 and Maximum Size (MB) 1536. You can use
System managed size.

2. Open Device Manager, Right Click, Properties, on Advanced Tab, check
"Don't tell me about USB errors".

3. Open Device manager and remove the USB Enhanced controller, Reboot.
That will cause XP to reinstall the USB ports.

4: Do a Disk Clean Up. Open My Computer, Right Click on the XP drive,
properties. On the General tab. Click the button Disk Cleanup.

5. Remove and reinstall the Canon Software. That will insure that the
scanner software is not corrupted.
Make sure you have the correct Driver for Windows XP SP2. Do NOT get the WIA
driver.
The one you want is the first in the list. Scangear 7xxx for Windows XP.
Support for LiDE 35: Click on Drivers.
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=Support...

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> "JB" <highlinex@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:D 53k0q01ftf@enews1.newsguy.com...
>>I am evaluating a Canon LIDE 35 and find that if I try to scan color at
>>600 dpi or higher, the system locks up and I have to reinstall the Canon
>>Toolbox software.
>>
>> I scanned the same image on my Visioneer 4400 at 600 dpi with no problem
>> but it will lock up at 73% completion if I scan at 1200dpi.
>>
>> My system has 1 GB RAM and 26 GB free on the HDD. The OS is xp sp2.
>> Swap file management is the default xp setting.
>>
>> There is no reason I actually need to scan at resolutions this high but I
>> would like to know why the problem occurs. Any insights would be
>> appreciated.
>>
> You have a strange problem.
> Your system should have not any problem with scanning at 1200 DPI.
>
> When is the last time you did a Clean install of Windows XP? If you made a
> lot of changes to programs, you should do a Clean install to get rid of
> the garbage. Clean install means format the Windows XP partition and
> install Windows XP, SP2, Windows updates, then your programs. Try this
> last!
>
> Some things to try.
> I have 512MB of RAM, which may affect the Page file settings.
>
> 1. Check the Page file setting. Have at least 768MB. Find it by Right
> click My computer, Properties, Advanced tab, Under Performance, click
> Settings, Advanced tab, Virtual memory. Click Change, Select the XP drive,
> I have a Custom size, Initial size (MB) 768 and Maximum Size (MB) 1536.
> You can use System managed size.
>
> 2. Open Device Manager, Right Click, Properties, on Advanced Tab, check
> "Don't tell me about USB errors".
>
> 3. Open Device manager and remove the USB Enhanced controller, Reboot.
> That will cause XP to reinstall the USB ports.
>
> 4: Do a Disk Clean Up. Open My Computer, Right Click on the XP drive,
> properties. On the General tab. Click the button Disk Cleanup.
>
> 5. Remove and reinstall the Canon Software. That will insure that the
> scanner software is not corrupted.
> Make sure you have the correct Driver for Windows XP SP2. Do NOT get the
> WIA driver.
> The one you want is the first in the list. Scangear 7xxx for Windows XP.
> Support for LiDE 35: Click on Drivers.
> http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=Support...
>

> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --

I do have the v7 driver...it came on the installation CD. The swap file is
system-managed and over 1500MB. I removed and installed the USB enchanced
controller. I have used three different images for the C: partition which
contains my apps as well as the OS. The scan fails at different points
depending on the scanned area and resolution. I can get a black and white
scan at 1200 dpi but not color. I began to suspect that the USB 2 card or
the scanner might have an overheat problem as the failure always comes after
several minutes of operation.

Then I went to the Canon site and used the interactive troubleshooter and
found an entry for "Computer Freezes During Scanning". Their answer to this
problem is "Resolution may be set higher than necessary or free space on the
hard disk may be insufficient".

Based on the first part of that flakey answer I can see that further
attempts to make the scanner work at 1200 dpi color are not worth any more
of my time. I will simply accept that it does not necessarily meet the
advertised resolution spec.

It's really quite a nice unit within it's limitations but I may take it back
just because I've wasted so much time on this issue.

Thank you very much for your troubleshooting tips. I enjoyed your website
too and grabbed a copy of your music.
May 2, 2005 11:59:08 AM

Reading a scanned photo at 1200 dpi on my 1.8 Ghz P4 computer with 768 megs
of ram into PS Elements 1 and 30 gigs of free drive space can result in the
program chugging away for 20 minutes. The scanner might be capable of that
high a resolution, but you might find it hard to find a computer that can
deal with it.

Paul Riemerman

"JB" <highlinex@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D 53k0q01ftf@enews1.newsguy.com...
>I am evaluating a Canon LIDE 35 and find that if I try to scan color at 600
>dpi or higher, the system locks up and I have to reinstall the Canon
>Toolbox software.
>
> I scanned the same image on my Visioneer 4400 at 600 dpi with no problem
> but it will lock up at 73% completion if I scan at 1200dpi.
>
> My system has 1 GB RAM and 26 GB free on the HDD. The OS is xp sp2. Swap
> file management is the default xp setting.
>
> There is no reason I actually need to scan at resolutions this high but I
> would like to know why the problem occurs. Any insights would be
> appreciated.

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 5:14:15 PM

"JB" <highlinex@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D 54r0202vci@enews2.newsguy.com...

> [...]
> several minutes of operation.
>
> Then I went to the Canon site and used the interactive troubleshooter and
> found an entry for "Computer Freezes During Scanning". Their answer to
this
> problem is "Resolution may be set higher than necessary or free space on
the
> hard disk may be insufficient".
>
> Based on the first part of that flakey answer I can see that further
> attempts to make the scanner work at 1200 dpi color are not worth any more
> of my time. I will simply accept that it does not necessarily meet the
> advertised resolution spec.
>
> It's really quite a nice unit within it's limitations but I may take it
back
> just because I've wasted so much time on this issue.
>
> Thank you very much for your troubleshooting tips. I enjoyed your website

Enjoy the music.

You may check for processor overheating, as a processor that is running hot
can miss cycles and screw up USB 2.0.

If you have an AMD processor, keep the temp under 60C, Mine runs about 53C.
Check that all fans are working and the case vents are clear. Clean out the
dust!

Do not make the mistake I made, I stuck a air blowgun into a running cpu fan
and broke off a blade. Turn off and unplug the computer!

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

The type of problem you describe is usually due to misallocation of memory
or, as you have realized, the scanner cannot perform at its specified
rating.
Memory is not just the amount of RAM or the size of the swap file. Far more
important to Windows operation is the number of background programs running
because they use up all the heaps/stacks/handles that locate items in memory
for the CPU to crunch. XP uses a better scheme than Win 3.x but it is
fundamentally similar and has easy to run up against limits.
Try turning off your background programs while using the scanner: antivirus
(esp Norton), firewalls, search engines, etc.
Reinstalling WinXP is actually a pointless exercise for most people and
should be avoided unless absolutely necessary. People tend to load up the
same offending programs anyway when they reconstruct their hard drives.
May 3, 2005 3:19:32 AM

> [...]
> back
>> just because I've wasted so much time on this issue.
>>
>> Thank you very much for your troubleshooting tips. I enjoyed your
>> website
>> too and grabbed a copy of your music.
>>

> Enjoy the music.
>
> You may check for processor overheating, as a processor that is running
> hot
> can miss cycles and screw up USB 2.0.
>
> If you have an AMD processor, keep the temp under 60C, Mine runs about
> 53C.
> Check that all fans are working and the case vents are clear. Clean out
> the
> dust!
>
> Do not make the mistake I made, I stuck a air blowgun into a running cpu
> fan
> and broke off a blade. Turn off and unplug the computer!

Today I was able to scan an 8.5 x11 color document at 1200 dpi with no
problem using the Canon Toolbox. In jpeg format it was about 11.5 MB, in
bmp format it was 420 MB.

Another test I ran that failed before but is OK now is that of putting eight
8.5" x 11" color documents into one searchable PDF file.

The CPU remained cool peaking at 45 C and I think any software entanglement
can be ruled out as I was using an partion image that has proved reliable.
I do not know the exact sequence of events that caused the problem before
but in later tests I proved to myself that I cannot perform scans at that
resolution from within Paperport. Lower resolutions work fine and they are
what I use anyway.

Paperport saves in the .MAX format and I don't know the implications it
presents for the Canon Twain. But the results are repeatable...failure at
high resolution in the color mode if using Paperport 6.5. The files
generated within the Canon Toolbox can be imported (except PDF files) into
Paperport. My test document shrank from 369 MB in TIF format to 17 MB in
..MAX format. You can also paste the files into Paperport if no conversion
is desired.

When the computer freezes up, the scangear.exe (the name is not exactly
correct) goes into a locked mode. I don't know if it can be reset. My fix
is to replace the toolbox. It's very easy to forget to unhook the usb cable
when doing this and the scanner will not work if this step is omitted...or
at least it will require a cold reboot.

I changed my mind about taking the scanner back. It will work fine for my
needs.

Thanks again to you and the others who gave inputs.
May 3, 2005 3:24:58 AM

No Paul ...I've got it working and it just takes a few minutes. I have the
P4-1.8A but I overclock it 54% and it's fast, cool and stable.

"Paul Riemerman" <parNOT55@tds.net> wrote in message
> Reading a scanned photo at 1200 dpi on my 1.8 Ghz P4 computer with 768
> megs of ram into PS Elements 1 and 30 gigs of free drive space can result
> in the program chugging away for 20 minutes. The scanner might be capable
> of that high a resolution, but you might find it hard to find a computer
> that can deal with it.
>
> Paul Riemerman
>
> "JB" <highlinex@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:D 53k0q01ftf@enews1.newsguy.com...
>>I am evaluating a Canon LIDE 35 and find that if I try to scan color at
>>600 dpi or higher, the system locks up and I have to reinstall the Canon
>>Toolbox software.
>>
>> I scanned the same image on my Visioneer 4400 at 600 dpi with no problem
>> but it will lock up at 73% completion if I scan at 1200dpi.
>>
>> My system has 1 GB RAM and 26 GB free on the HDD. The OS is xp sp2.
>> Swap file management is the default xp setting.
>>
>> There is no reason I actually need to scan at resolutions this high but I
>> would like to know why the problem occurs. Any insights would be
>> appreciated.

May 3, 2005 3:30:47 AM

"birdman" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> The type of problem you describe is usually due to misallocation of memory
> or, as you have realized, the scanner cannot perform at its specified
> rating.
> Memory is not just the amount of RAM or the size of the swap file. Far
> more important to Windows operation is the number of background programs
> running because they use up all the heaps/stacks/handles that locate items
> in memory for the CPU to crunch. XP uses a better scheme than Win 3.x but
> it is fundamentally similar and has easy to run up against limits.
> Try turning off your background programs while using the scanner:
> antivirus (esp Norton), firewalls, search engines, etc.
> Reinstalling WinXP is actually a pointless exercise for most people and
> should be avoided unless absolutely necessary. People tend to load up the
> same offending programs anyway when they reconstruct their hard drives. <

I agree with all you've said and I did start my troubleshooting today by
turning off some TSRs and the antivirus. That was not the problem as near
as I can tell. Nothing is for sure with all the combinations of things that
can go wrong but it appears that there is an incompatibility with Paperport
6.5 that only surfaces at high resolutions. When that happens the Canon
driver gets bent and must be reinstalled with the usb cable unplugged. I
forgot the unplugging bit a few times and that made for more wheelspinning.

Thanks for your input.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 7:06:13 PM

"JB" <highlinex@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D 575790l7h@enews4.newsguy.com...

> [...]
> high resolution in the color mode if using Paperport 6.5. The files
> generated within the Canon Toolbox can be imported (except PDF files) into
> Paperport. My test document shrank from 369 MB in TIF format to 17 MB in
> .MAX format. You can also paste the files into Paperport if no conversion
> is desired.
>
> When the computer freezes up, the scangear.exe (the name is not exactly
> correct) goes into a locked mode. I don't know if it can be reset. My
> fix is to replace the toolbox. It's very easy to forget to unhook the usb
> cable when doing this and the scanner will not work if this step is
> omitted...or at least it will require a cold reboot.
>
> I changed my mind about taking the scanner back. It will work fine for my
> needs.
>
> Thanks again to you and the others who gave inputs.

Very good that you got it working.

Sounds like PaperPort is the culprit.
..MAX files are PaperPort only. They are next to impossible to convert with
any other program. PaperPort may not be designed for resolutions greater the
about 600 DPI, so chokes on bigger scans.

Any .MAX files should converted and backed up as TIFF or JPG, more universal
formats.

I did some Google searching with the search "paperport chokes high
resolution scans" without the quotes and found reference to OmniPage choking
on high resolution scans.
--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

I had a similar problem due to a flawd twain driver. I started using a
third-party app (http://www.scanout.net) without using the default twain
interface and the problem went away. For me it worked.

"JB" <highlinex@yahoo.com> escreveu na mensagem

!