adding a few explorer shortcuts to specific directories ch..

Hi all,

I have been trying to add about 10-12 specific shortcuts to facilitate
opening the windows explorer to a specific directory.. I found some
information in previous posts, but I seem to need more...

the shortcut that is the default and opens to the My Documents folder
is showing in the shortcut properties as:

Target: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe

Start In: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%
------------------------

I have been able to create one other shortcut on the start menu (in
the top area) for D:\webpage by doing the following:

Target: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,D:\webpage

Start In: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

This opens to the indicated directory, BUT,

I can't seem to make any more, when I try to make a new shortcut by
copying one and changing the properties, it simply overwrites the one
I copied.... The one on the start menu and the one under Accessories
seems to be tied together.

How can I make several different shortcuts in a folder off the start
menu?

ALSO.. as a bonus question: How do I make a cascading menu for the
Control Panel off the Start menu? I want it at the top of the menu as
you first open up, That was a SOP for me in Win98... but it doesn't
work the same in XP.. ;-(
---------------------

Thanks,
niteowl

"niteowl" <niteowl@NOniteowlproductionsSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have been trying to add about 10-12 specific shortcuts to facilitate
> opening the windows explorer to a specific directory.. I found some
> information in previous posts, but I seem to need more...
>
> the shortcut that is the default and opens to the My Documents folder
> is showing in the shortcut properties as:
>
> Target: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe
>
> Start In: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%
> ------------------------
>

> I have been able to create one other shortcut on the start menu (in
> the top area) for D:\webpage by doing the following:
>

> Target: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,D:\webpage
>
> Start In: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%
>
> This opens to the indicated directory, BUT,
>
> I can't seem to make any more, when I try to make a new shortcut by
> copying one and changing the properties, it simply overwrites the one
> I copied.... The one on the start menu and the one under Accessories
> seems to be tied together.
>
> How can I make several different shortcuts in a folder off the start
> menu?
>
> ALSO.. as a bonus question: How do I make a cascading menu for the
> Control Panel off the Start menu? I want it at the top of the menu as
> you first open up, That was a SOP for me in Win98... but it doesn't
> work the same in XP.. ;-(
> ---------------------
>
> Thanks,
> niteowl

Try this for a command line:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,C:\Windows
Make sure you change the name of a new shortcut before saving it.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:40:54 -0600, "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP"
<franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote:

>"niteowl" <niteowl@NOniteowlproductionsSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have been trying to add about 10-12 specific shortcuts to facilitate
>> opening the windows explorer to a specific directory.. I found some
>> information in previous posts, but I seem to need more...
>>
>> the shortcut that is the default and opens to the My Documents folder
>> is showing in the shortcut properties as:
>>
>> Target: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe
>>
>> Start In: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%
>> ------------------------
>>

>> I have been able to create one other shortcut on the start menu (in
>> the top area) for D:\webpage by doing the following:
>>

>> Target: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,D:\webpage
>>
>> Start In: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%
>>
>> This opens to the indicated directory, BUT,
>>
>> I can't seem to make any more, when I try to make a new shortcut by
>> copying one and changing the properties, it simply overwrites the one
>> I copied.... The one on the start menu and the one under Accessories
>> seems to be tied together.
>>
>> How can I make several different shortcuts in a folder off the start
>> menu?
>>
>> ALSO.. as a bonus question: How do I make a cascading menu for the
>> Control Panel off the Start menu? I want it at the top of the menu as
>> you first open up, That was a SOP for me in Win98... but it doesn't
>> work the same in XP.. ;-(
>>
>> Thanks,
>> niteowl
>
>Try this for a command line:
>%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,C:\Windows
>Make sure you change the name of a new shortcut before saving it.

thanks,
niteowl