Does Anyone Remember When it was Hard?

qw3r7yju4n

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
Really??!! i mean comon i remember when getting 100Mhz was an AWESOME OC! back in the days of the ONLY OC Champ the Celly300A... IMO(just for that one guy who will flame this)

and to get that celly to go you had to unlock this, frak with that, put a 10inch warehouse fan on side of case... and viola 450Mhz!

OH!!! MY FAV!! trying to unlock the Athlon650 with a hexeditor!!! <---that was crucial

now its like stick it in, boot, change fsb, a lil voltage, and a lil ram tweaking and BAM your done 1.5Ghz OC... wtf?

i dunno i was just looking at ol benchmark results on madonion's site (err.. not madonion anymore, link anyone...)LOL i remember trying to hit 4000 on 3dmark2000.... anyone else got any OLD OvrClocking dreams, ambitions, problems..

I wanna do this for all the n00b's who are JUST getting into OvrClocking... so they can see how far we have come...

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
I can remember replacing clock chips. Took a 200 MHZ chip out and replaced it with a 400 MHZ.... That was on a DEC workstation... Ran like hell! More ways than one!

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
<b>IT</b> was hard about an hour ago when I was checking maxim's site :p

Seriously though I too remember the celey 300A (In my case it was 2 333 on a BP6). It all depends on how you look at it. That 150 MHz increase was a 50% increase in clock speed, which until the new cores was something you didn't get easily in recent times.

bberson

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
...like trying to get 10MHz out of a 4.77MHz IBM PC-XT?

Odd thing is, nobody ever really tried to OC stuff like the Pet.

Although I seem to recall some folks messing with their TRS-80s...

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Heck yeah I remember trying to overclock my 486...

Then my pentium 200...

got my celeron 333 to 466...

athlon 750 slot A to something that I dont remember...

Duron 900 to 1.4GHz

then about 5 other socket A chips cause I kept frying them (tbird 900, two 1Ghz, a 1.33 and a 1.4)

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Really??!! i mean comon i remember when getting 100Mhz was an AWESOME OC! back in the days of the ONLY OC Champ the Celly300A... IMO(just for that one guy who will flame this)

and to get that celly to go you had to unlock this, frak with that, put a 10inch warehouse fan on side of case... and viola 450Mhz!

OH!!! MY FAV!! trying to unlock the Athlon650 with a hexeditor!!! <---that was crucial

now its like stick it in, boot, change fsb, a lil voltage, and a lil ram tweaking and BAM your done 1.5Ghz OC... wtf?

i dunno i was just looking at ol benchmark results on madonion's site (err.. not madonion anymore, link anyone...)LOL i remember trying to hit 4000 on 3dmark2000.... anyone else got any OLD OvrClocking dreams, ambitions, problems..

I wanna do this for all the n00b's who are JUST getting into OvrClocking... so they can see how far we have come...
Now any Tom,Dick or Harry can overclock....which is progress. The difference now, is that getting a great overclock doesn't garner the respect that it used to, so it's not such an ego thing..at least on enthusiast sites. :wink:

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Well stated to all of our new N00bies, Sound like OC back then was much more of greater deal because it was far more difficult and tedious than todays "traditional" way of OCing

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah - like having to use jumpers and switches to change frequencies/multipliers and having to solder resistors onto your mobo to get a higher voltage :lol: :lol: woops there goes 2 mobos

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Yeah - like having to use jumpers and switches to change frequencies/multipliers and having to solder resistors onto your mobo to get a higher voltage :lol: :lol: woops there goes 2 mobos
Pin mods/wire wrap mods to get a Celeron to run @133 default, and increase vCore. :)

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Yep,

My latest board, the P5B deluxe even does the OC for you. No bios settings, just tell it how much you want, and it adjusts the freqs, fsb, and other stuff for you.

Takes the fun out of it, so I do it the old timers way anyway.

Progress?????

sailer

Splendid
When reading the title to this, I immediately thought "Sure I do, the night before my girlfriend made it soft".

But seriously, I remember such things as buying a doubler from Intel to make my SX25 into a DX50, going into the DOS config and changing speeds, upgrading ram to 256 kilbytes and other inane and insane things.
Its a wonder how easy it is now, compared to what was done long ago.

Ponk

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
"HHHHMMM...I remeber a time when it was hard. It was raining and I was putting the wheels on my skateboard and painting it new colours, I was going to put "Mike Average is special" When He came in! It was Trav, the local mechanic, he was hot a flustered and took his shirt off. His bosom was soft and delicate and he pulled my trousers off...Once and then twice. He took my boxers off, they were a gift from grandmother for christmas...Then he began to straddle me, his delicate, light voice all the time was whispering in my ear....HHHMMM...Rufty" :oops:

Anyway, back to normal...Can remeber overclocking a PC with my dad years ago! My god was that hard (no pun intended) with the jumper setting, etc...My god how times have changed.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
"HHHHMMM...I remeber a time when it was hard. It was raining and I was putting the wheels on my skateboard and painting it new colours, I was going to put "Mike Average is special" When He came in! It was Trav, the local mechanic, he was hot a flustered and took his shirt off. His bosom was soft and delicate and he pulled my trousers off...Once and then twice. He took my boxers off, they were a gift from grandmother for christmas...Then he began to straddle me, his delicate, light voice all the time was whispering in my ear....HHHMMM...Rufty" :oops:

Anyway, back to normal...Can remeber overclocking a PC with my dad years ago! My god was that hard (no pun intended) with the jumper setting, etc...My god how times have changed.

Woah. Look, we're all into diversity I hope, but most of us don't care to see guys kiss, or hear about it...keep your homosexual self to yourself please. It's not a homophobe thing, it's a OMG, we're disgusted like you just farted in our face thing. If you can't help it, neither can we. Respect it and we'll respect you.

For everyone else, those of us who didn't grow up with dad's that were electricians or just never bothered to learn wtf a capacitor really does...still don't find OCing very easy. Most nerdy tech guys are prideful, but never as helpful as they think they are. (They = You) That said, techy guys could sure learn to show more respect to people, be more patient, learn to communicate better, and learn not to be so damn cocky. So we know a thing or two others don't. I know a girl who works at Blockbuster and is studying to be a civil engineer. She has no clue how to install a graphics card, but she does play Xbox a good deal. She has a lot in common with us, but her area of expertise is in something else. Now I'm not saying that all tech guys are a-holes, and have no people skills. I went to a lan party and noticed that some people are loud and abnoxious, and a few are just quiet and prudish. Some are just friendly. Others are friendly, but look prudish, and are still quite polite and pleasant. So this is really for those prudish fellows who know how to OC and think that because I don't I must be a STUPID newb. Newbs aren't stupid. You lack expertise in many areas too. :) Just thought it needed to be said, I know SOME of us have small dicks and never get laid but still manage to have very big egos. Be nice to newbs.

Ponk

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
Wasn't meant to be a prude and not a homo, just thought would lighten the atmosphere. It's meant to be a joke, nothing more. Don't take life to seriously, it's too fun to be taken too seriously.

Yeah, my dad's an elecrtical engineer (with a 1 masters) but he taught me everything their is to know about electrical engineering and computers. I don't try to be cocky (everything is where it should be and know a bit about stuff) And through that understanding I can explain things to people who know nothing about computers (I like to use general terms for things - water pipes, busses, etc so the everyone can understand in a general basis)
I don't make fun of people who knoe very little about things, that's life, everyone has their own slot in life and that's a good thing.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Sick joke. LOL BTW, my rant wasn't directed at you, but nerds in general. Just trying to make sure everyone is aware like always. :p I do that. It pisses some people off, but that's ok. Criticism is always tough to take.

Strange... I remember this very same Cely300A on an Abit BH6 - which booted straight away at 450 MHz (I had to enter the BIOS to lower its clock speed, as a matter of fact, due to the flimsy stock cooler being unable to handle it until I gave it an helper). I had to work a bit to push it to 504 MHz (466 required to turn 'turbo' on in BIOS, but I had revision 1.01 not 1.1, so I didn't have precise access to the clock generator), but I wouldn't qualify this as being difficult (raise voltage, boot, see if Windows 95 loads without BSOD three times in a row).

MisfitSELF

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Yeah, I agree. It's seems a lot harder now to OC than it was back in the Celeron 300 days. All I had to do with the Cel. 300 was set the FSB and viola 450Mhz! No fuss no muss, stock voltages and HSF.

Now, you have to worry about adequate cooling, overvolting, FSB & memory bus speeds, hypertransport speeds, etc, etc, etc. It's almost easier and faster to solder on a clock crystal like we had to do in the "old old" days than it is to tweak a new system.

Ponk

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
But you're all fond of me. You like my sick humor and tech knowledge...Seriously, you all need to be a little bit broken in the head, it makes life more fun.

It's going back a bit to solder on a clock crystal! Christ, not to be personal but how old are you?

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Strange... I remember this very same Cely300A on an Abit BH6 - which booted straight away at 450 MHz (I had to enter the BIOS to lower its clock speed, as a matter of fact, due to the flimsy stock cooler being unable to handle it until I gave it an helper). I had to work a bit to push it to 504 MHz (466 required to turn 'turbo' on in BIOS, but I had revision 1.01 not 1.1, so I didn't have precise access to the clock generator), but I wouldn't qualify this as being difficult (raise voltage, boot, see if Windows 95 loads without BSOD three times in a row).

Stranger is, i experienced that on my friends' cheap PCChips boards (SiS Chipsets) :?

Abit BH6 - the best OCers board at that time IMO (or BX6/sth like that)