[SOLVED] Smart things to have...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinkletoes

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Hey im goiving my sister a MacBook pro, and i would like to have some things installed on ti, cause the is a complete idiot when it comes to computers (hence, a MacBook)
i am looking for stuff like,
browsers,
adblock stuff
"cool layers"
etc, you get the point,
things that would make the live of a 13 yr old girl happy,

thank you
-Simon

Solution
I'm not sure a MacBook is actually the best choice unless she's already proficient with OSX.

I think she'd be better off with a Windows system like these specs:
- ASUS, HP or LENOVO (quality names)
- 15.6" or 17" (depending on if the laptop will be portable or not)
- HD7000 or GTX600 mobile series graphics
- Windows 8 64-bit (but install Stardock's START8 to bring back the Start Menu)
*The new Windows 8 Start Screen is a big issue. There WILL be a lot of support for it in the future so it's something a young girl will want, however it's not well supported yet. The best solution is to have Windows 8 but use START8 with it for now.

SUMMARY:
I don't really know the details of your situation, but I've never thought of a MacBook Pro as a...
I'm not sure a MacBook is actually the best choice unless she's already proficient with OSX.

I think she'd be better off with a Windows system like these specs:
- ASUS, HP or LENOVO (quality names)
- 15.6" or 17" (depending on if the laptop will be portable or not)
- HD7000 or GTX600 mobile series graphics
- Windows 8 64-bit (but install Stardock's START8 to bring back the Start Menu)
*The new Windows 8 Start Screen is a big issue. There WILL be a lot of support for it in the future so it's something a young girl will want, however it's not well supported yet. The best solution is to have Windows 8 but use START8 with it for now.

SUMMARY:
I don't really know the details of your situation, but I've never thought of a MacBook Pro as a 13-year old girls ideal gift. Windows PC's tend to have a lot more applications and game support.

Even if they have an Apple device already, iTunes exists if needed for Windows. Again, that's the best I can recommend without knowing any other details.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.