Sign in with
Your question

Best PCI NIC

Last response: in Networking
February 20, 2006 12:14:48 PM

Hi All,

I just upgraded some components in my computer and my PCI NIC died. I have been unable to find recent/updated reviews on PCI NICs (prolly cuz everyone uses the integrated NIC on their mobos). My last PCI NIC was the 3 COM 905B-TX and I would like a new & improved NIC, specifically one that minimizes CPU utilization and maximizes throughput. I am familiar with all the brands out there: Intel, 3 COM, Linksys, D-Link, etc. My question to you: which is the best PCI NIC out there and why (please post your source if you have it). Also, if you have any links to NIC reviews (individual or group) please post them. Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

-SnowFire

More about : pci nic

February 21, 2006 10:28:43 AM

You're not going to find much difference in performance from 10/100 NICs since they are essentially just a few chips and components on a board and most manfs use the same few chips.

Here is a really OLD review of 10/100 NICs.
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/network/20010820/index.ht...

You might consider going to a 10/100/1000 NIC if your computer's processor runs at at least a GHz. The Intel Pro/1000MT has worked fine for me.
April 27, 2006 6:02:00 PM

"You're not going to find much difference in performance from 10/100 NICs since they are essentially just a few chips and components on a board and most manfs use the same few chips."

lol if only it were that simple........
!