Will this be semi future proof and run crysis?

Qeldroma

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Asus 8800GTS

G-Skill DDR2 800 5-5-5-15 Ram 1 Gig

Athlon 64 AM2 3500+ Orleans 2.2Ghz

Asus M2NE Socket AM2 Motherboard.

Asus Silent Square if it fits, if not then....

Zalman CNPS 9500 LED AM2

All for $861 right now shipped. But this wont be till x-mas so prices will change.

I already have a 700 watt thermaltake psu, case, dvd drive, sound card, and an IDE hard drive Im going to use for now.

1st let me get this out of the way. I will never go above 1600X1200. I dont see my self getting a bigger monitor so I have no use for SLI. I am never going to overclock. All the experiences I have had with over clocking I havnt been happy with.

I just want a system that will get me into G80 now, and be a little future proof. Obviously my first upgrade will be a 74gig raptor. Then a Better Processor, and another stick of ram.

So will this system keep me able to upgrade for a year or two. Do you think it will run Crysis pretty well? Will it run GRAW, NFS, and other of todays games very well?

Oh crap. I just realized thats an OEM Processer let me go find a cooler for it.

Thanks again for the help.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
The Raptor isn´t worth it. Get another Processor, preferably dual core, and another GB of RAM.

And make sure your PSU can handle your hardware.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
well im assuming you know that the cpu is going to be the main bottle neck in your system, but it still shouldnt effect gaming by that much. since you said that your never going to overclock (again) then the ddr2 800 ram is a waste, go with 667 or 533 instead. it will be great for of todays games and will be upgradable for a while, after you get the hardrive i think you should look into a nice C2D board and something along the lines of an E6300, or E6400 though, since you already have the right ram and everything.

edit: and could you post the PSU specs? even though it's 700W doesnt mean it will have enough amps on the 12v+ rail to support the graphics card. (likely it will though)

kaleb_zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2005
The raptor is totally not worth it, the money would be better spent on getting a better CPU. 3800+ is just 20 bucks more than 3500+ at most etailers I've been looking at. Crysis will be pretty CPU intensive with all the dynamically maniputable environments and physics and crazy AI they've thrown into it, and even if it wasn't, that video card is pretty high end you'd wanna have a better cpu to keep it fed with data!

So get at the very least the 3800+, but better would be an X2. Keep the DDR800 if you're sticking with AM2, as the higher CAS latencies will cripple memory bandwidth with slower ram on AM2.

I might also recommend grabbing an Audigy 4 OEM (can usually be found for about 40 bucks) as it will offload all the sound processing from the CPU onto the Sound Card (onboard sound eats up CPU cycles doing mixing and such)

If you're going to throw more money at anything, throw it at the CPU, or getting that sound card as it'll basically free-up your CPU.

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
you are buying a $86 OEM CPU and a $54 heatsink. The better choice would be to buy a Retail CPU like this 3500 which is only $6 more at $92. You are not overclocking so there is no need for that heatsink IMO.

I have just saved you $48

atp777

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
well im assuming you know that the cpu is going to be the main bottle neck in your system, but it still shouldnt effect gaming by that much. since you said that your never going to overclock (again) then the ddr2 800 ram is a waste, go with 667 or 533 instead. it will be great for of todays games and will be upgradable for a while, after you get the hardrive i think you should look into a nice C2D board and something along the lines of an E6300, or E6400 though, since you already have the right ram and everything.

edit: and could you post the PSU specs? even though it's 700W doesnt mean it will have enough amps on the 12v+ rail to support the graphics card. (likely it will though)

I agree with apt403 with the Core 2 Duo, much more powerful than a 3500+ and will be upgradable in the future if you ever decide to go quad-core or buy a faster Core 2 CPU.

escrotumus

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Who buys an amd processor still?? Makes no sense at all...

Buy the lowest end core2 and a MB that can support future cpu's. You might end up spending $100 or so more but you aren't tossing away money on old tech that is obsolete already and leaves you with no way to upgrade short of total system replacement.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Well I guess all I can say is go with a faster processor or at least a dual core version as this will help with video.With a dual core cpu there is no need to buy a sound card as the second core of the cpu will handle the load for the on board without interfering with other things.But do try for a 4600 or even a 5000+ x2 as this will aleviate any cpu bottleneck you encounter otherwise.C2D is great,but the hardware that supports it is pricey.So look into that as a later system once some prices have dropped more.And for gods saake get another gig of memory,preferably a 2gig paired set of 1gig sticks as this will allow for dual channel mode thereby increasing your performance to a limited degree.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006

The people who buy them are the people who:

1. Are either looking for the the best single core cpu's available.

2. A cheap dual-core solution as the motherboards for s939 and sAM2 are far cheaper than a c2d s775 motherboard.(Pentium D 805 doesn't count as it is terrible)

3. Fanboys(Not me!)

Please Note:
I am not saying that AMD cpu's are better than Intel. IMO Intel currently have the best dual core cpu's available, AMD have the best single core.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Sure it will play crysis, but i would save 50, and buy the PNY version. Same stuff, different logo. As for processor wise, Intel's C2D line is more of a upgrade path right now. The lowest of the series, the E6300 eats that 3500 alive for the 170-180 they charge for it. Look into that.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

The people who buy them are the people who:

1. Are either looking for the the best single core cpu's available.

2. A cheap dual-core solution as the motherboards for s939 and sAM2 are far cheaper than a c2d s775 motherboard.(Pentium D 805 doesn't count as it is terrible)

3. Fanboys(Not me!)

Please Note:
I am not saying that AMD cpu's are better than Intel. IMO Intel currently have the best dual core cpu's available, AMD have the best single core.

Wow...I see some sense in the forumz! Must be in the wrong place.

escrotumus

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Yeah I'm not saying that I'm an intel fanboy either because I buy what is the best at the time. For games right now AMD is wayyy behind intel and since the original poster is looking for a game box it just seems wrong for him to be leaning towards an amd system. If you need a web surfing box for granma now then by all means buy an amd machine, but if you want a futureproof gaming box then buy a low end core2 now with a motherboard that will accept core quad later next year. Amd has ALOT of catching up to do right now with their processors and their ati gpu's. They are in the same position intel was in 2 years ago when nobody smart was buying them either.

Not a fanboy's opinion, just an informed consumer.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
More like quad if you are serious about it.

Grrrrrrrr. The code hasn't been optimized for quad! The game was designed to run on Dual Cores, and even single core CPUs. So if you had to use a quad to be "serious about it" then how the hell would it run at anything more than 15fps on a single core?

escrotumus

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I thought all of these new games like alan wake and crysis were heavily multi-threaded and designed to run on numerous cores? So you are saying that crysis won't run better the more cores you have? Hadn't heard that myself. I know alan wake will and i thought that crysis would too. Do you mind pasting a link that says there will be no extra benefit to the more cores the merrier? :)

purdueguy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
I agree with Kaleb_Zero. If you are going to get an AMD AM2 chip, you need DDR2 800. This would not be a waste. Now, if you get a C2D chip and not plan on overclocking, then yes, DDR2 800 isn't necessary and DDR2 533 or DDR2 667 will be just fine.

To answer your question in the title, "Is this semi-future proof". The answer would be yes.

8800GTS - future proof
AM2 - not future proof

Therefore you win out on 50% and that would be "semi-".

If you truely wanted to future-proof your system get the E6300 which is the cheapest C2D you can currently buy. That way you can better chips down the road.

The AM2 6000+ is soon to be out but this chip will still be a joke compared to the X6800 which to me isn't making AM2 so future-proof.

Qeldroma

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Ok couple things. I think I totally agree about the Processor. I know I would be much happier with a Core 2 Duo. Plus I dont see AMD getting much better with the AM2 Platform anytime soon. So I think I am going to go with a Core 2 Duo. Now Im trying to stay around an $800 budget. Yeah I know tough, but lets see.

Asus Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS, I am adament about this card.

Corsair Value Select DDR2 667 1GB Stick

Foxconn P945 Motherboard, Help me out with this. Whats the best mobo under $100

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300

What do you guys think about this setup? As I said Im not too sure on the MOBO. Can you help me out here? For now because Im going with the E6300 I need to use the IDE hard drive I have for now.

Also the PSU I have is the ThermalTake Toughpower, 4 18Amp Rails. So I think it should handle this setup and if you say it cant Im gonna friggen scream cuz I just bought it. :)

P.S.

This is around a x-mas time purchase, so prices WILL change. I hope.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Ok couple things. I think I totally agree about the Processor. I know I would be much happier with a Core 2 Duo. Plus I dont see AMD getting much better with the AM2 Platform anytime soon. So I think I am going to go with a Core 2 Duo. Now Im trying to stay around an $800 budget. Yeah I know tough, but lets see.

Asus Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS, I am adament about this card.

Corsair Value Select DDR2 667 1GB Stick

Foxconn P945 Motherboard, Help me out with this. Whats the best mobo under $100

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300

What do you guys think about this setup? As I said Im not too sure on the MOBO. Can you help me out here? For now because Im going with the E6300 I need to use the IDE hard drive I have for now.

Also the PSU I have is the ThermalTake Toughpower, 4 18Amp Rails. So I think it should handle this setup and if you say it cant Im gonna friggen scream cuz I just bought it. :)

P.S.

This is around a x-mas time purchase, so prices WILL change. I hope.

For best mobo under $100 you want to be looking at Asrock, they're VERY good value for money.